It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• Kidney Pain and Stones, Doctors Baffled?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
    Starfyre
    (female)

Starfyre HB User
    Unhappy Kidney Pain and Stones, Doctors Baffled?

Hello all,

I have been having kidney stones for several years now. Usually I will pass it and won't have to worry about getting another one for several months. However, this year I have had many more than normal and in far shorter time spans. It is only my right kidney that is producing the stones, I have no issues with my left kidney.

The pain I experience exists even when a kidney stone is not present or detectable by x-ray. My symptoms include the following:

Constant dull aches/pain in my right kidney, right flank and right ureter
    Occasional sharp aches/pain in my right kidney, right flank, right ureter
    Frequent urination
    Not ever feeling like my bladder is emptying
    Occasional kidney stones on right side only
    Frequent nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
    Weight loss
    Frequent fevers (usually low grade)
    Fatigue, dizziness and confusion

And lately, I have had painful symptoms of ulcers that my doctor has been treating me for. It may be important to note that the medication prescribed has not alleviated my symptoms at all and he is referring me to a gastroenterologist for endoscopy and colonoscopy.
    Also important to note is that these symptoms are all persisting daily, whether a kidney stone is present or not.

My doctor has ordered several blood work tests, urine tests, ct scans and X-rays. He has checked for abnormal potassium, creatine, calcium and uric acid levels. He has sent my stone fragments from my lithotripsy for analysis and cannot determine the cause of my kidney stones. One of my doctors even suggested it may not even be kidney stones at all! What else would a stone that comes from a kidney be? I have no idea.

I am always informed that my tests are perfectly normal. My doctors nurse called me and told me my stone fragment analysis showed "100 percent protein and nothing else." When I asked what that meant and what we were going to do about it, she very bluntly told me it meant nothing and they were going to do nothing. I feel like she must have misspoke because I don't think 100 percent protein in urine is normal. I have also been told a few times that my white blood cell count is higher than normal but no one is ever concerned about this.

I am worried because nothing like this runs in either side of my family and I am getting progressively worse as the weeks go by. No one can find what's wrong with me and I'm running out of ideas and things to suggest to my doctors.

Has anyone on the boards experienced anything like this? Especially with these newfound painful symptoms that seem to be ulcers? It always appears that there are crystal like substances in my urine but all tests are reported as fine and clear.

I would be grateful to any ideas or suggestions on what it could be. I have an appointment coming up with a urologist to "check" on my symptoms and I wouldn't mind some new ideas to throw at him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
    lady1954
    (female)

lady1954 HB Userlady1954 HB User
    Re: Kidney Pain and Stones, Doctors Baffled?

I can understand the stomach issues you are having! In 2013, I was diagnosed with a renal oncocytoma and a 1.7 centimeter kidney stone in my left kidney. I was fortunate that the first two tiny stones were passed while I was in the hospital to have a stent inserted to push the big stone back into my kidney (it had caused a severe blockage). When I spoke to my urologist about the stomach issues (that continued even after the stone was broken up with several lithotripsies), he told me that they might be caused by the umbilical hernia that I have. He recommended surgery, but having just recovered from shoulder surgery, the last thing I wanted to do was have more surgery. All kinds of food would make me have severe stomach pains, so I ate mostly pudding and soup. I have now started to take a probiotic and I think it has made a difference. I have much less stomach pain and can now eat some of the foods that I used to. Certain spices seem to still cause problems, so I try to avoid them. As for the stones, try the lemonade if you haven't already! So far it has moved two stones that my doctor told me should have stayed in the lower pole of my kidney. My stones are calcium oxalate, but who knows perhaps they will work for yours too. Certainly worth a try. A half of a fresh lemon in a 12-16 oz. glass of iced water, then a sweetener of your choice or none if you prefer. Just seems strange that they can't tell you what is causing them. My urologist and I talked about Theralith XR, which helps to change the chemistry in your kidneys so that more stones don't form. My next scan will show whether it's working. It's a bit pricey, but I'd rather pay that price than to deal with the constant pain of kidney stones that can actually cause kidney disease later down the road. Best of luck to you in finding some answers!

Last edited by lady1954; 09-15-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi by any chance do you take topomax? It's a nerve pain med also used for migraines at 100 mg but can cause stones. Just I'd check. Also you may want to research but I think olive oil orally daily is suposed to help. Cathy

Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
    Starfyre
    (female)

Starfyre HB User

Thank you for your replies!

Lady1954,

I can't even imagine having a stone that big! My stones have never been quite as large so I really feel for you there. I will definitely try lemonade as I was previously drinking cranberry juice, so maybe that will be better!
    Yes, it is odd and frustrating that the type of stone has not been determined yet. I will ask my urologist about Theralith XR on my appointment in 2 days. I've never heard of that and it sounds like its worth mentioning. Thank you for sharing your story and advice! It's very much appreciated.

Noevr,

No, I do not take topomax but that is something to keep in mind if it exasperates kidney stone issues, so thank you for that. I actually don't take anything but birth control daily, I probably should have mentioned that. I will look into olive oil as I haven't heard of that but I'd be willing to try just about anything lol.

Also, an update for everyone who may still be following this thread: I went to the gastroenterologist today and explained everything that was in my original post. We are having an endoscopy tomorrow and a colonoscopy next week. We have to do it separate days due to insurance limitations, unfortunately.
    He believes that most of my symptoms are actually from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and not a reaction to the pain from kidney stones as I originally thought. He will be checking for signs of IBS and to see what is preventing the ulcers from healing. I will update everyone I once I get the results. Wish me luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to Starfyre:
    lady1954 (09-16-2014)
    Old 09-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi if you have ibs I would try a fiber pill everyday but drink plenty of water. Talk to your dr about it too. Cathy

Old 09-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
    RedWaya
    (female)

RedWaya HB User

Get tested for RENAL TUBULAR ACIDOSIS Type 1 ....It is rare and will cause all your symptoms and drs don't look for it automatically , because it is rare...hope this helps and feel better

Old 09-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
    RioGrande
    (female)

RioGrande HB User

Starfyre,

My gosh, your symptoms sound just like mine. I started with RUQ pain beginning of August. (pain is like I was punched right over gallbladder/liver area, but have NOT had any injury there). CT scan only showed one 5 mm ( up from a 3mm in June of this year) stone mid polar right kidney. Urologist said the type and location of pain is not caused by the stone. He told primary need a HIDA Scan. Wait several weeks, (in pain mind you) finally get HIDA scan. Gallbladder function 50% ejection fraction, no stones.

Had lithotripsy for the first time last October on a 9mm stone. Both sides family have NO history of kidney stones.

During Sept I started to get pain in back from shoulders to lower back. The RUQ pain comes and goes. Went back to primary, also told her I wake up at 2 am every night, can't get back to sleep. She prescribes mirtazapine for sleep (I also think she prescribed this for anxiety) and says get an x-ray of thoracic spine. I am now waiting for results of this.

I have had a continuing family stress since Feb of this year, that is only getting worse. The sleep issue has been getting worse since April. Granted this family issue has caused anxiety but I have never had anxiety cause this specific type of pain before.

This last week my blood pressure has been between 135/75 to 160/85 continuously when it is usually 120/65.

Blood test on Aug 1st were lipid, CMP, A1c and Vit D (42). All were normal except A1c of 6.0 and total cholesterol of 203.

Right now I just feel miserable and am considering asking for adrenal function test. Will post my progress.

Closed Thread

Tags
    flank pain, frequent bowel movements, frequent urination, kidney stone, ulcers