It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board

• 3mm Kidney Stone, how long before it passes??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
    xXRayneXx
    (female)

xXRayneXx HB User
    Unhappy 3mm Kidney Stone, how long before it passes??

Hi,
    I'm a perfectly healthy 24 year old female and last Monday I started feeling what I had assumed was cramps for my period, despite the fact that I had already went through this months cycle. I just figured I'd cramp the last bit of the month and then start sometime after the first. Thanksgiving hit and the cramping had only gotten a little worse.

Then Friday came and I was having some pretty bad cramping in my back. that does happen from time to time. Then on saturday I had several "attacks" where i puked twice from the pain. At this point I was thinking it was the "stomachl bug everyone keeps talking about. By sunday evening i pretty much had decided there was something even more wrong after having pukled 3 times earlier that day and having pain so bad i curled up in bed and slept through it. went to the er, puked 3 more times, was told i had a 3mm kidney stone on my right side that had just entered the part between my uriter and kidney. i was given 15 5-325mg percocet 0.4mg fflomax, and 4mg ondansetron for nausea. When I am awake I have been drinking nothing but cranberry juice and water.

Now heres my issues.

How long is it gonna take for me to pass this thing?

reason I ask is because

1) its so close to the holidays and I NEED to be working my CDL with my permit so i can actually take my drivers test and I cant do that while on the Percocet (however the percocet is the only thing keeping me from screaming in agony)

2) Percocet is an adictive drug, and i dont want to devolope a dependancy on it. Monday I took one pretty much every 4-6 hours. Ever since then I've been trying to go 8 but then I start to feel an "eppisode" coming on and I take one and fall asleep.

3) the nausea.... i have been consistantly nauseas since this begen and the pills under the tongue arenkt helping... in fact if it doesnkt make it worse, they do absoluetly nothing!! Please, gimmie an estimated time this is supposed to last. i take the flomax once a day before bed, every night so far. I know no one knows for sure, but I just don't know how much longer I can take this and need a rough estimate....

also i have not had a bm since thursday... not sure if thats normal iwth kidney stones or not.

Last edited by xXRayneXx; 12-03-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: additonal info

The following user gives a hug of support to xXRayneXx:
    parker1261 (12-05-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
    Re: 3mm Kidney Stone, how long before it passes??

Constipation is a common side effect of percocet and other narcotic pain meds. The pain with kidney stones can be horrendous as you already know. You're probably going to need it at least some of the time but maybe you can back off on the percocet a little and take motrin or a similar OTC antiinflammatory and pain med most of the day and save the percocet for the worst attacks and/or bedtime. It is better to keep ahead of the pain than try to control it once you're really hurting. If it were me, I'd try to take the motrin on a regular basis as often as it can be taken replacing it with a dose of percocet as needed.

I don't think anyone can tell you how long it will take to pass your stone but if it hasn't passed in a few days, make sure you seek followup with your family doctor. If you are unable to pass urine you should seek immediate attention. One thing you can do to help it pass is to keep yourself well hydrated with plenty of fluids to help flush the stone out. Somewhere in the neghborhood of 8-10 cups of fluid a day assuming you are otherwise healthy. It does not have to be plain water but can include tea, soup, etc. and even jello.

Good luck and wishing you a speedy resolution of your problem.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
    xXRayneXx
    (female)

xXRayneXx HB User

Aww! thank you for your support! It means a lot to me! I don't think the constipation is from the Percocet, as it began before I was precribed the medication. I am still passing the stone. Over all i have managed to stay ahead of the pain. Taking Ibprofine when I feel even the slightst indication its about to get bad. (You know, the short bursts of stabbing, not the aching) and ONLY taking a half a percocet when I need it to take off that little bit of edge. I've also been drinking water like crazy. To give it flavor because we only have tap at the moment, ikve been using the country time lemmonaid. ikve also been working on a jug of liption citris green tea. So far all these methods had worked, so well in fact that I was under the impression it had passed into my bladder. still in my body, just inside my bladder... that is until I stayed in a sitting and standing position without my back supported for quite a few hours last night. after about 4 hours of that, thats when the pain began to sink in. I took 2 ibprofine, and my daily flomax (i've been taking it before bed) and went to bed. when I woke up I had a pretty intense achy feeling. I ate some cereal and took a half a percocet. About an hour passed and I swear to you I FELT IT as it MOVED! No joke, I had my back against the arm rest when I felt like something had moved down my side inside folowed by a blinding pain and a naseua so intense i had to run to the bathroom. Do you know if that usually happens? Do you think I actually felt it move or was the some trippy thing the flomax did??

Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
    lady1954
    (female)

lady1954 HB Userlady1954 HB User

Hopefully you're also straining your urine! Because the stone is small and you might not even realize it's passed!. It's possible to continue to have pain even after the stone passes. It will also give the doctor/urologist a sample of the stones to have tested to see what kind it is, so you do whatever necessary not to make more of them.
    Try lemonade. A quarter to half a fresh lemon in ice water (it can be sweetened with whatever you normally use.) Store bought lemonade will work too! Drink about half your body weight in ounces of lemonade daily.
    It will still take about a week and sometimes two or more. It really depends on how much you stay hydrated. The more you put in, the more you flush out.
    My stomach was all messed up when I was having issues with kidney stones. I started out with a 1.7 centimeter stone. The stone caused a severe blockage that caused my kidney to swell. A kidney stent was inserted to push the stone back into my kidney. I had two lithotripsies and was then told by my urologist that the remaining stones I had were located in the lower pole of my kidney and they should stay there. Yeah, right! That was the first week of September. By the middle of October another KUB x-ray was done. Low and behold the stones had moved and caused another blockage. A third lithotripsy was done. Two small (4 & 5 mm) stones were left (also in the lower pole of the kidney.) Again I was told they should stay there. I continued with the lemonade. No tea (except green tea), no coffee, no cola sodas. The only other thing I drank was flavored water. My urologist asked me how in the world did I get the other stones to move, but I wasn't sure if it was really the lemonade.
    Now I know it was. The citric acid works on the stones.
    Last spring I saw my urologist again. The following week I thought I was getting a UTI. A slight burning pain and often urination. I think the doctor and I were both surprised to find the results of the CT scan came back that the stones were completely gone. I wasn't straining at that point (goodness knows I have so many containers of stones we laughed about it...told my urologist we were building a rock quarry in our back yard.) I have been stone free since March 2014.
    A recent scan (September 2014) showed I'm still stone free. My stones are calcium oxalate stones. I followed a low oxalate diet, talked to my urologist about taking a supplement called Theralith XR. It changes the chemistry in my kidneys so I don't form more stones.
    I also had the vomiting and was given Percocet, but even with anti-nausea medication, I couldn't take it for the pain. I was prescribed Tramadol. This I took only when the pain was so bad I couldn't stand it.
    I understand when you mention your CDL. I'm a school bus driver. I refuse to take any type of medication that might cause drowsiness and never anything stronger that Tylenol while I drive.
    Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! To the point of your urine being clear or close to it. Please let us know how you do.
    I don't say it will work for everyone that tries it, but it certainly worked for me and my
    urologist now suggests his kidney stone patients to consume a gallon of liquid daily.
    Good luck to you and try to enjoy your holidays!

The following user gives a hug of support to lady1954:
    xXRayneXx (12-09-2014)
    Old 12-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
    xXRayneXx
    (female)

xXRayneXx HB User

Thank you for taking the time to reply with advice and your story of how IT ACTUALLY works! I've been using that Lemmon juice that you can buy at the store, that comes in a green bottle and says %100 Lemon Juice. I'll pour enough of it into a cup to cover the bottom of it and then fill the rest with water. I add just enough sugar to take the edge off the bitterness and thats it I like bitter lemonaid.lol) I just started that today. however, on Saturday I felt it move. I was in pain for about 30 minuets, then I felt it move down followed by white hot blinding pain and then insta-nasuea....not fun. I called my job today and i guess my boss passed 3 in a row when he was in the air force. he told me the pain i had felt was it dropping into my bladder and the reason why ikm still in pain may be because ikm passing another.... not gonna lie, i really hope not.haha even as i type this using my phone im sitting here with the dull throbbing pain just under my rib and it goes down until about mid lower back, if that makes any sense... i havenkt been straining because i don't have one sadly and am broke until friday. but after everytime i pee, after i wipe i check the toilet. (obviously i hold onto the toilet paper and wash my hands after) but i haven't really seen anything. i don't have health insurance or a regular doc (although i did apply for insurance after the visit) and it sucks because i would REALLY like to know whats going on with this.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
    lady1954
    (female)

lady1954 HB Userlady1954 HB User

Anything you can strain through to save it...even an old stocking. It's so important to find out what they are made up of so you can avoid making more. You might also be able to get Theralith XR tablets as samples from a clinic too. My doctor didn't give me any information about them until I asked him. His office supplied me with samples until I was back on my feet and now pay for them myself. They aren't a prescription, but I figure the $50 they cost are still cheaper than another hospitalization! Even with insurance, it's a big chunk of money. Good luck! Hope they pass for you soon! The pain is terrible. I've had four children and would rather give birth to ten more instead of dealing with another stone attack!

Old 01-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
    xXRayneXx
    (female)

xXRayneXx HB User

Figured I'd give an update. Never did pass the stone. I went to the ER two nights ago for pain and after testing my urin they sent me home saying it was a bladder infection. I'm currently in so much pain i can barely think. Its a burning/pinching pain.... I want this to be over with....

Closed Thread

Tags
    kidney stone, nausea, pain, percocet