It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Double hip replacement at age 20

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
    kpierce
    (female)

kpierce HB User
    Double hip replacement at age 20

Hello all,
    I'm here seeing some advice from others that may have had a hip replacement or two in their life...especially one at a young age.
    I am getting my right hip replaced in a couple weeks, with the left one to follow later in the year. While I have suffered from a bone disease and various leg issues my whole life, my hips always gave me the most trouble. As the doctors would always say, my hips were "square peg/round hole." Well, after years of pain walking on these square shaped hips, they started to develop AVN, and with a lack of blood flow, the tops began to die and chip away.
    I've visited orthopedic surgeons for over 15 years, and trust me...none of us wanted to turn to hip replacements at such a young age. But now as an almost 21 year old...I have reached my breaking point in needing them to go asap.
    So, this brings me to my concerns.
    While I know typical longevity of replacement hips has been around 15 years, my doctor prepped me with saying the hips they are putting in now they expect 30-50 years from. This seems like a stretch, especially for how much a young person wears not their hips. I'd love to know the longevity of replacements you guys have all experienced, and for those who have undergone 1 or more replacements of a replacement, does it get easier? worse?
    At 20, my main concern is needing numerous replacements and the effect that those will have on my femurs.
    For anyone who can offer advice regarding recovery time, surgery experience, or when I'll be likely to feel like an active 20 year old again...Please let me know. I'm in the Only-Two-Weeks-Till-Surgery panic mode right now...and most advice I can find on the internet is not geared at my age range.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    hip replacement, hip replacement surgery, thr recovery, young patient