It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• What is the pain and recovery like after surgery for a hip labrum tear?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #1
    sara2020
    (female)

sara2020 HB User
    What is the pain and recovery like after surgery for a hip labrum tear?

I have a torn labrum in both hips, but my left hip is the one that hurts the most. I am wondering what is the pain and recovery like after surgery for a hip labrum tear?

I am 26 and had ankle surgery previously for peroneal tendon subluxation and was totally unprepared for the incredible pain and level of disability after the surgery. Even after taking 2 percocents and a meloxicam anti-inflammatory painkiller the pain was incredible and agonizing, the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, I had to go back down to half a percocet too since it made me so nauseous even with anti nausea meds. I was told I would be walking after 2 weeks but was on crutches for 2 months, and for 2 weeks was bedridden and had to keep ice on my ankle 24/7 and house bound for 3 months. I had to rely on assistance from a family member for everyday tasks and it was a very difficult time for me. I had been told the pain would be similar to my wrist surgery which was a removal of a ganglion cyst, after that surgery the pain was bad for 5 days and then it started to get alot better, but they were wrong, after 5 days the pain never let up and just went on...and on..and on. My ankle is better now but had I known how much pain I would be in after surgery, I may not have ever gotten the surgery.

There is also the fact that I had to see my grandma who was in her early 80s and working full time, break her hip and never be able to stop using her walker and have her life decline so much, it makes me very hesitant to undergo voluntary hip surgery. I have been debating on if I should have surgery or just try to live with the pain as best as I can.

After hip labrum surgery I need a timeline for how much pain I would be in for week 1, week 2, and so on, and how much I would be able to do, and how long I would be on crutches or a walker for. Keep I mind I do not have a high pain tolerance.

Last edited by sara2020; 02-20-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
    sara2020
    (female)

sara2020 HB User
    Re: What is the pain and recovery like after surgery for a hip labrum tear?

No one here has had labral tear surgery?

Old 03-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
    only1missyf
    (female)

only1missyf HB User

Hi, I am 5 weeks post op for a labral tear. They also discovered part of my muscle was completely dead so I got 1 inch cut off and the rest repaired with anchors.
    I had a knee issue pre op and I'd say that is making my recovery slower. The hip recovery is generally a slow one but has not been as bad as I anticipated. I have more good days than bad. The hardest part for me is the restrictions afterwards so you have to get help from others or adjust your movements. Keep taking your regular medication and ice a lot. The ice for me works better than any pill but everyones different. If you have any other questions I am happy to help.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
    margiepoo
    (female)

margiepoo HB User

I am 13 weeks post-op. I had femoroacetabular Impingement in both hips with a torn labrum and bursitis in the right hip. After doing some research I thought I'd be better than I currently am, but it seems that what is written or reported by doctors online is not quite accurate as far as the pain and recovery time goes. Some said you'd be n on crutches for maybe 2 weeks then be able to go back to work. I call bs on that, but my experience may be different from yours. My dr thinks I'm actually ahead of what he expected, which is good to hear. Ok, so pain...the first week is very difficult. Walking with crutches Is hard if you don't have good upper body strength. The pain is bad, I'm not going to lie to you. Take your meds on time, don't skip a dose, even at night. I slept in a recliner for about 2 weeks. It offered more support and our bedroom upstairs, which is difficult to navigate at first. The second week the pain is better. You should be able to sleep through the night and you generally start feeling better rested. Now, because of my impingements, my femur head was also reshaped and the bursa sac was removed. My movements were restricted because of that. I don't know how long you've been in pain, but when you have hip or lower back issues, you tend to be very guarded, meaning your muscles get tight, anticipating a movement that may hurt, so that changes your gait too. I was not allowed to rotate my leg outward for almost 10 weeks and because of that the muscles around my pelvis are super tight. I was not aloud to even start pt until 6 weeks post op. Alot of my physical therapy has been to stretch and strengthen those muscles. That takes time. More Time than I thought. I was out of work for 4 weeks. By the 3rd week you may still have some pain, but resting often helps. You just don't have the stamina to go back to work after a couple of weeks. This kind of surgery is nothing like a total hip replacement. I had a friend 20 yrs older than me have a replacement done 2 days before my surgery and she was up almost immediately and in physical therapy right away. People think that's a worse surgery but it's not, it's a completely different kind of procedure. The healing of soft tissure, the labrum and such takes alot more time. I have about 3 more weeksof physical therapy and my dr said it's not uncommon for it to take 6 months to a year before I feel lIke myself again. But again, everyone is different. You may recover much quicker. I'm glad I had the surgery and I do think I will be better than before, I just have to be patient. I hope I haven't scared you. The first person to be completely honest with me was the anesthesiologist. He said hip surgery is a really hard surgery and a painful one and he wasn't lying. If you have any questions please feel free to ask

Closed Thread