It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Knee Gives Out/Falling

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
    sherr1
    (female)

sherr1 HB User
    Knee Gives Out/Falling

Anyone else have this happen? A few weeks ago, while I was traveling by plane my knee gave out when I got up from my seat. I stood up, side-stepped to the left and upon my left leg hitting the ground it buckled, felt my calf cracking, and I fell into the seat. Got up about 30 seconds later and limped to the restroom. Same thing happened on the next flight. This time it felt worse, lots of popping and cracking, ankle twisted too. I felt a huge rush of heat throughout my body, into my leg, then coldness in my lower leg for a few minutes. Limped the next few days, felt like it was getting better, then was getting into drivers seat, put my right leg in, pushed off on left and it buckled and cracked and I fell on the ground. X-rays showed nothing, Dr. thinks meniscus tear. This happened one more time a couple days ago when getting into car. I am scheduled for an MRI soon. Now I am careful of how I use my left leg, have to get in car with butt first then swing legs in, and I'm careful about going up or down steps. If you've had this happen to you, what was the cause/diagnosis/treatment, etc.? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Knee Gives Out/Falling

Meniscus tear dating back to high school. I have to pay attention to how I place my leg when walking and jogging as a result -and hold on to hand rails when doing steps or it could totally give way and I'd roll down the steps - as has happened before. No surgery - meniscus tears can be tough...docs say not worth it to repair- not badenough and could end up being worse. So I do a lot of quad strengthening exercises and it helps.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
    Queenie99

Queenie99 HB User

I had my meniscus cartilage repaired in 1984 after 8 years of off and on pain, knee locking, buckling, popping and cracking. I had x-rays, but nothing showed up until an MRI. I had arthroscopic surgery and was back to normal activity in 6 weeks. Only missed 1 week of work since I had job that I could sit with my leg propped up. I have had no issues until I developed arthritis in that knee (and other places) about 5 years ago. I don't have any of the problems I had prior to surgery. Now it is just arthritis pain.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
    blueeyes22
    (female)

blueeyes22 HB User

That is exactly what happens to with me right leg. I waited about a month to go to dr then I fell again and made the tear worse. I am now scheduled for surgery next week for medial meniscus tear. Not looking forward to surgery but would like to get on with life.

Reply Reply