It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• FAI and AVN (ON) of the hip!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
    cdness99
    (male)

cdness99 HB User
    Question FAI and AVN (ON) of the hip!

So, a few months ago start having some left hip pain. Mostly when going up stairs getting out of the car. A feeling of giving out/no strength followed by sharp pain. Slowly got worse. Went to GP and got some xrays. He said it looked like FAI. Sent me to an Ortho. Looked at xray, moved my leg around a little bit and said "Yep, FAI.". By this time it was getting so that I could not even stand on my left leg and walked with a severe limp. The symptoms I have were not matching what he was saying I should have. I asked if an MRI was worth it and he said no but if I really wanted one I could get one (glad I did). MRI showed early stage AVN of the femoral head, laberal tears, bone spurs, and FAI type bone growth on femoral neck. So, I have FAI and AVN and am looking at surgery for both and that is my question. Surgeon says that core decompression surgery is a must for the AVN. Where he and I are stooped is whether to also have hip arthroscopy at the same time to address the FAI symptoms since we can't be sure if the pain is from both or just the AVN. I don't want to have CD surgery and then find out 6-8 months from now that I should have also had the arthroscopy to address FAI and have to have another surgery. Based on the xrays my other (right) hip has the exact same malformations but no pain to speak of on that side. Some say FAI is a myth and that we are all different and it can be addressed by stretching and strength exercises. Anyone with similar circumstances or experience? Is hip arthroscopy worth it? Suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    arthroscopy, hip pain, osteonecrosis, surgery