It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

TKR ... why would 60 be too young?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
alt4u
(female)

alt4u HB User
TKR ... why would 60 be too young?

Writing from Alberta, Canada - where it takes 8 months to get in to see ortho doc for bad knee that is at end of life so to speak ....Doc says at 60 (I am very fit, healthy, active female with osteoarthritic knee in pain and constant swelling for 1 year and have been as active as possible in spite of things, have had physio, durolane injections, acupuncture etc to no avail) -

Doc says that yep, that's about all that he suggests for now and says TKR would be next steps but I am too young to have one....really? put up with all this and have decreased quality of life until I am "old" enough to have one?

Anyone else hear this when they were my age? (am trying to get in line for another doc for a second opinion)

Anyone else have a TKR at this age with great success and good prognosis for longevity of TKR instrumentation?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/input/stories.

The following user gives a hug of support to alt4u:
YaYagirl (03-03-2018)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: TKR...why would 60 be too young?

Here in the states 50 is usually the very bottom threshold unless you have some real issue. 60 isn't old! But I can see that they would want to try other measures first.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: TKR...why would 60 be too young?

Dear alt4u,

I can understand your frustration with the wait. I suggest that you get a second and third opinion, even from a doctor in the states, then let it rest if they agree you should wait. Everyone has different experiences, and it doesn't always turn out well. Family members have had knee or shoulder replacement and they find that aging with it is not so wonderful or painless. Some do well, but there is no guarantee with that risk. And no guarantee how much you would suffer. Every case is unique.

It seems like replacement body parts are so common that there must be a huge success rate. What is not commonly understood is the amount of severe suffering and the number of failures. Cutting into the body (which affects nerves and blood vessels, muscles, etc) should always be last resort. There are no guarantees that it will heal or heal right. The horror stories are not so commonly revealed. It seems like, oh just cut it out and put in a new joint as if we were robots. And, of course some miraculous things also are done. But there are no guarantees. I hope you really research what all would be required of you in order to keep the joint functional and the failure rate before you push for surgery. Do some honest research about what can (and does) go wrong.

If no doctor will do surgery on you yet, take that as good reason to leave well enough alone for now. My surgery was just removal of some femur length (not even a joint), and I wish I had waited, myself. I suffer severe pain daily and interrupting sleep, and there is no remedy for it. So far I am able to refuse to live on prescription drugs which would be destructive to my body organs/brain.

That's my own personal experience. Of course there are as many experiences as there are people that have bone surgery. At least do consider what it would do to your life if surgery doesn't solve your problems or you end up in more pain than you have.

Love,

Last edited by Administrator; 03-08-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: TKR ... why would 60 be too young?

Hi alt4u,

The knee replacement will last approximately 10, possibly 15 years, before it wears out and the person needs another replacement. With each knee replacement after the first one becomes less successful and wears out sooner. For this reason an Orthopedist will not recommend a TKR, at the earliest, age 60 and prefer age 65. People live longer and if you have a TKR too soon it is possible another will be needed with less favorable results. I am under 60 years old and a TKR is recommended, so there are circumstances where a TKR will be advisable at a younger age.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
BackOffPain
(female)

BackOffPain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt4u View Post
Writing from Alberta, Canada - where it takes 8 months to get in to see ortho doc for bad knee that is at end of life so to speak ....Doc says at 60 (I am very fit, healthy, active female with osteoarthritic knee in pain and constant swelling for 1 year and have been as active as possible in spite of things, have had physio, durolane injections, acupuncture etc to no avail) -

Doc says that yep, that's about all that he suggests for now and says TKR would be next steps but I am too young to have one....really? put up with all this and have decreased quality of life until I am "old" enough to have one?

Anyone else hear this when they were my age? (am trying to get in line for another doc for a second opinion)

Anyone else have a TKR at this age with great success and good prognosis for longevity of TKR instrumentation?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/input/stories.
I had my left knee replaced at the age of 52, right at the age of 55. Both knees are still going strong and it's the best decision I ever made for my personal well-being at the time. True, the knees can wear out after years of use. As the technology and surgery methods improve, the amount of years they last improves. Dependent on each individual, it's not unexpected for them to last over 15 years.

I would advise you to make sure the knee or knees are in really really rough shape -- each of mine were bone-on-bone when I went for the operations. It's a very major operation with a hard, rough and painful recovery. You must work on the rehab and suffer a lot of pain in order to have a satisfactory outcome. And, the replaced knees won't be like your old young adult natural knees. You can give up things like jogging because the repetitive motion will wear them down. Many sports are a no-no. Walking and biking are good for the replaced knees, though. If a replaced knee has to be replaced, the expected outcome isn't as good as it is for an initial replacement.

Seek a second opinion. And, make sure if you do have your knee(s) done, work at the recovery. The more you do in that phase, the better in the long run.

--Jackie

Old 03-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
Railroad Man
(male)

Railroad Man HB UserRailroad Man HB User

Hey, I’m an old wore out railroad conductor, had my first tkr when I was 60 & my second when I was 63, have had good results from the R in 2013, my left in 2015, still a little sore & popping & crackling some days, but in all, it’s a lot less painful than it was before.
The first 30 days after surger is real painful, if you don’t take your pain medication on a regular basis it’s rough. You’ll say, I’m glad I had it done afterwards.

Reply Reply