It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

Found Out I have a Meniscus Tear

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2018, 03:26 AM   #16
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User
Re: Found Out I have a Meniscus Tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes22 View Post
Well I am glad you found someone you like. We will have to keep updated on our progress. When is your surgery scheduled?

Will do!

Surgery will be scheduled as soon as we get approval from the worker's comp board, which will have to happen within the next 2 weeks or so (depending on when my doctor submits the paperwork -- but once she does they have 14 days to respond)...so I'm hoping to have it done in the next 3 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #17
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyou009 View Post
Will do!

Surgery will be scheduled as soon as we get approval from the worker's comp board, which will have to happen within the next 2 weeks or so (depending on when my doctor submits the paperwork -- but once she does they have 14 days to respond)...so I'm hoping to have it done in the next 3 weeks.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #18
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

I have my surgery Wednesday. Hope they get your surgery scheduled soon so you can begin recovery. I am so ready for mine!

Old 05-13-2018, 08:15 PM   #19
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I feel the same way -- I cannot wait for the surgery!!

Old 05-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #20
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Got the approval for the surgery and it's now scheduled for Thursday!! (The 17th) I honestly cannot wait, especially since the other day I got up weird and felt like I may have torn it more because of the intense pain and a harder time walking.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #21
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

Quote:
Got the approval for the surgery and it's now scheduled for Thursday!! (The 17th) I honestly cannot wait, especially since the other day I got up weird and felt like I may have torn it more because of the intense pain and a harder time walking.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #22
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

Wow that was quick. I have to be there in the morning at 630am. I wish you luck and keep us posted!

Old 05-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #23
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes22 View Post
Wow that was quick. I have to be there in the morning at 630am. I wish you luck and keep us posted!
I really pushed for it and was on everyone's asses! I called my workers comp rep, my doctor's office, the nurse on my case all multiple times. When the request was sent the first time, it didn't go through. Nor did it the second. So the nurse on my case said to have them fax it directly to her and she'd get things squared away, which is what happened. So we almost skipped a step to get it pushed through quicker, and I'm super happy about it!

When my doctor's office called saying the approval had come through and when did I want to schedule the surgery I literally said "as soon as possible" lol. They said it could be done Thursday, as in 2 days from today and I said great!

The hospital is gonna call me tomorrow to go over my meds to make sure what they can/can't give me, tell me what time to be there and the whole spiel about no eating or drinking after midnight, take all my jewelry out/off, don't wear contacts etc. (I've had ankle surgery twice so I know the drill).

Good luck to you!

Old 05-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #24
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

Quote:
I really pushed for it and was on everyone's asses! I called my workers comp rep, my doctor's office, the nurse on my case all multiple times. When the request was sent the first time, it didn't go through. Nor did it the second. So the nurse on my case said to have them fax it directly to her and she'd get things squared away, which is what happened. So we almost skipped a step to get it pushed through quicker, and I'm super happy about it!

When my doctor's office called saying the approval had come through and when did I want to schedule the surgery I literally said "as soon as possible" lol. They said it could be done Thursday, as in 2 days from today and I said great!

The hospital is gonna call me tomorrow to go over my meds to make sure what they can/can't give me, tell me what time to be there and the whole spiel about no eating or drinking after midnight, take all my jewelry out/off, don't wear contacts etc. (I've had ankle surgery twice so I know the drill).

Good luck to you!

Old 05-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #25
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

How did yours go?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #26
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Got home about a half hour ago Everything went smoothly -- In and out. Was only at the hospital for about 5 hours or so, so it was super quick!

My doctor said she she got the tear and that there was nothing else so it was an easy one. The anesthesia, when I woke up, I still wasn't really awake enough to do anything for a good half hour, but at least they let me eat right away!! Just applesauce or crackers (I chose applesauce), but food nonetheless. Once I got awake enough to try and walk, I went on a little mini try it out walk with the nurse, and bu the end I was dying, but I did do it without crutches or anything, and shortly after that I was discharged.

I'm at home now, and right now the pain isn't too bad...but I do have one of wrap around coolers, and my percocet at the ready. I did go up and down two flights of stairs because I live in my parents' attic so I had to grab some things and organize somethings for my dad to bring down so I can stay in the guest room until the stairs aren't such a challenge/hazard.

How are you??

Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #27
allhis
Inactive
(female)

allhis HB Userallhis HB Userallhis HB User

Good to hear all went well. Ice will become your best friend for pain. Just do not let the pain get out of hand. If you want you can probably try taking just ibuprofen for pain, maybe saving the narcotic for nights. After the first 48 hours on my shoulder that is what I was able to do. (I am here because I am not fighting knee replacement) I actually was fine without narcotics until I started PT.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #28
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhis View Post
Good to hear all went well. Ice will become your best friend for pain. Just do not let the pain get out of hand. If you want you can probably try taking just ibuprofen for pain, maybe saving the narcotic for nights. After the first 48 hours on my shoulder that is what I was able to do. (I am here because I am not fighting knee replacement) I actually was fine without narcotics until I started PT.

Thanks.

They gave me one of those ice cooler things to use, so I don't have to worry about icing. And I hate narcotics, but I usually take them the first day or two after the surgery (have had 2 ankle surgeries and wisdom teeth removal).

The following user gives a hug of support to missyou009:
allhis (05-17-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #29
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

So my doctor called this morning to check in on me, and told me that I actually had two tears!! One just didn't show up on the MRI. So that explains a lot!! Then a nurse from the hospital called a bit later to check in as well, as per usual procedure. I'm doing about as well as one can be after a surgery lol. Not great, but not too bad either.

Last edited by missyou009; 05-18-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #30
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

My surgery took about a hour. I did not really get sore till Thursday afternoon. I am taking my pain meds and getting my leg elevated. I will remove bandages tomorrow and take a shower. Also will begin exercises so we will see how it goes tomorrow. Glad your surgery is over I do have arthritis in my right knee too

Reply Reply