It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

Found Out I have a Meniscus Tear

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User
Found Out I have a Meniscus Tear

A month ago (April 6), I was at work when one of my kids (I'm a preschool teacher) basically charged into me and made me stumble backwards about 12ft with them in my arms before falling. I had immediate pain, but I could still walk and everything...but I decided to go to urgent care anyway. They took x-rays, no bone damage, said to followup with orthopedist.

When I saw the orthopedist, he initially thought that it was an MCL sprain, so he put me in a brace, ordered PT and said come back in 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile, my knee didn't stop hurting, and I couldn't work...so I called again and got in to see the ortho a second time. This time he immediately ordered an MRI. Saw him today and he came in and said that the MRI showed a meniscus tear and that I would need surgery.

He said there are 2 surgical options, but he won't know which he'll do until he's in there (both are arthroscopic procedures)...and one sounds like nbd, and the other sounds like it would really suck. The one that sounds like nbd he said is what happens 95% of the time which is just that they shave the torn part off. The second one, the 5% chance involves an actual repair and that would keep me off my feet and out of work for 6 weeks...and I've already been out for 4. He also said that the shaving is better short-term, but the repair is better long-term, but he can't say which he'll do now because he needs to see the tissue and exactly what's going on before he decides.

Anyone else been in this boat? He said that for now I'm cleared to go back to work, part time (my choice -- he asked if I thought I could go back or not) and do pretty much whatever I want, no restrictions, until we can schedule the surgery. (It has to be approved by the workers comp board). This makes me super happy since I've been dying to work again, but it also makes me super nervous because what if I make the tear worse? He doesn't seem worried that that'll happen, and if I decide that work is too much I can always go back and get a note to excuse me...but am I right or wrong to be worried about making the tear worse?

He also had me in a brace but he said that I don't need to be wearing it anymore because he didn't think it was one that would do much good (I agree) -- but should I be in a brace of sorts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User
Re: Found Out I have a Meniscus Tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyou009 View Post
A month ago (April 6), I was at work when one of my kids (I'm a preschool teacher) basically charged into me and made me stumble backwards about 12ft with them in my arms before falling. I had immediate pain, but I could still walk and everything...but I decided to go to urgent care anyway. They took x-rays, no bone damage, said to followup with orthopedist.

When I saw the orthopedist, he initially thought that it was an MCL sprain, so he put me in a brace, ordered PT and said come back in 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile, my knee didn't stop hurting, and I couldn't work...so I called again and got in to see the ortho a second time. This time he immediately ordered an MRI. Saw him today and he came in and said that the MRI showed a meniscus tear and that I would need surgery.

He said there are 2 surgical options, but he won't know which he'll do until he's in there (both are arthroscopic procedures)...and one sounds like nbd, and the other sounds like it would really suck. The one that sounds like nbd he said is what happens 95% of the time which is just that they shave the torn part off. The second one, the 5% chance involves an actual repair and that would keep me off my feet and out of work for 6 weeks...and I've already been out for 4. He also said that the shaving is better short-term, but the repair is better long-term, but he can't say which he'll do now because he needs to see the tissue and exactly what's going on before he decides.

Anyone else been in this boat? He said that for now I'm cleared to go back to work, part time (my choice -- he asked if I thought I could go back or not) and do pretty much whatever I want, no restrictions, until we can schedule the surgery. (It has to be approved by the workers comp board). This makes me super happy since I've been dying to work again, but it also makes me super nervous because what if I make the tear worse? He doesn't seem worried that that'll happen, and if I decide that work is too much I can always go back and get a note to excuse me...but am I right or wrong to be worried about making the tear worse?

He also had me in a brace but he said that I don't need to be wearing it anymore because he didn't think it was one that would do much good (I agree) -- but should I be in a brace of sorts?

Old 05-08-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

I have a meniscus tear too. I was told at first they thought it was a blood clot had a ultrasound no clot thank goodness. Then Dr thought I had bakers cyst. I was still having pain leg and actually tore it more when stepping up on curb boy did that hurt. Finally got MRI I have medial meniscus tear. I am scheduled for surgery May 16. I will have to have bandage for 8 days and will be on crutches. I am so afraid of tearing it again so I am staying home a lot. I wish you luck with your injury. Keep us posted please

Old 05-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

At first they thought mine was an MCL sprain, but when I went back so soon with the pain that I had and where I had it, they decided they had better o an MRI. I'm really glad they did!!

Do you know what procedure you're having done? Sounds like a happy medium to what I might have.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

The doc told me he would stitch the meniscus and do some cleaning up when he gets in there. He said he really don't exactly what he will do till he sees in there. I also have some arthritis in there which makes it more complicated. I have been limping for three months so I am ready to get it done!

Old 05-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Oh wow. Certainly shows different doctors do different things! Mine said if he had to do a repair it would be 6 weeks off!

Old 05-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
Rudykazooty
(female)

Rudykazooty HB User

Hi,
I was diagnosed w a complex meniscus horn tear and a large ruptured bakers cyst on the posterior of my right knee with two large bone spurs on the knee.I also have osteoarthritis Ian 49 yo female. Iíve never had knee issues prior to this. I was in cleaning industry for 15 plus years. The first surgeon wanted to trim away the cartilage. The second opinion told me he advised against surgery due to the bone spurs and the tear that Surgery would gain me relief for two weeks and then Iíd be in the same pain Iíve been dealing with. I dealt with the Pain initially for 2 mos prior to making a dr appt. I chose to take heed of my second opinion and opted out of surgery. Itís been since October 2017 when I was diagnosed. I take Bosweila and Glucosamine and Chondrointon and do some at home physical therepy. I am fine and pain free. I even remain pain free and med free after a recent tonsillectomy. My knee is no longer painful at all! So make sure you find out exactly if itís a benefit to you to go under the knife! I am so happy I got a second opinion good luck!😋

The Following User Says Thank You to Rudykazooty For This Useful Post:
cheer up (05-11-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudykazooty View Post
Hi,
I was diagnosed w a complex meniscus horn tear and a large ruptured bakers cyst on the posterior of my right knee with two large bone spurs on the knee.I also have osteoarthritis Ian 49 yo female. Iíve never had knee issues prior to this. I was in cleaning industry for 15 plus years. The first surgeon wanted to trim away the cartilage. The second opinion told me he advised against surgery due to the bone spurs and the tear that Surgery would gain me relief for two weeks and then Iíd be in the same pain Iíve been dealing with. I dealt with the Pain initially for 2 mos prior to making a dr appt. I chose to take heed of my second opinion and opted out of surgery. Itís been since October 2017 when I was diagnosed. I take Bosweila and Glucosamine and Chondrointon and do some at home physical therepy. I am fine and pain free. I even remain pain free and med free after a recent tonsillectomy. My knee is no longer painful at all! So make sure you find out exactly if itís a benefit to you to go under the knife! I am so happy I got a second opinion good luck!😋
I may or may not even be able to get a second opinion since this is a workers comp case.....and, the ortho I'm seeing is a VERY conservative one. In fact, one of my coworkers fired him because his treatment for her torn ACL was so conservative that he wouldn't surgically fix it. I do wish I had asked to see the scans myself, but it was overwhelming enough to have a doctor come in and almost right off the bat say that you need surgery.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

I have the report on my MRI it says I have a radial tear of the posterior root of the medial meniscus. Mimimal slit like Bakers cyst. Not sure what exactly this means I just know I have tear that needs to be repaired. I am trying to really be careful and not tear it more

Old 05-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I have the disc with my scans, but not the software to view them...so all I have really is my doctor's word.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Quote:
I have the disc with my scans, but not the software to view them...so all I have really is my doctor's word.
I did get the go ahead to get a second opinion...AND, I'm going in tomorrow! Thank God I don't have to wait!!

The following user gives a hug of support to missyou009:
allhis (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

I hope you get a good report. I know I have to have my surgery my leg just gives out on me when walking. I have already fell twice. Been dealing with this since February. Good luck!!

Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes22 View Post
I hope you get a good report. I know I have to have my surgery my leg just gives out on me when walking. I have already fell twice. Been dealing with this since February. Good luck!!

Thanks. Unfortunately, same thing: Torn medial meniscus, surgery required. BUT, I liked this doctor a lot more since she took the time to explain things more and answer my questions without rushing me in any way. So I'm switching to her.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #14
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunately, same thing: Torn medial meniscus, surgery required. BUT, I liked this doctor a lot more since she took the time to explain things more and answer my questions without rushing me in any way. So I'm switching to her.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #15
blueeyes22
(female)

blueeyes22 HB User

Well I am glad you found someone you like. We will have to keep updated on our progress. When is your surgery scheduled?

Reply Reply