It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Bipartite Patella?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
    Mega75
    (female)

Mega75 HB User
    Bipartite Patella?

Hi!

I fell three times in a 3.5 week period, all due (in my opinion) to injury on my left ankle. I was in a big bulky air cast boot, and I think it just wreaked havoc with my equilibrium, which admittedly isn't really good at the best of times.

I fell on my right knee each and every time. It's very mad at me now, of course! The first fall wasn't much at all, tripped in my carpeted living room. It hurt for maybe 5 minutes, no big deal. However, less than 24 hours later I was in my garage, when I tripped again. This time I landed on the cement floor, and it was agonizing pain. I couldn't get up for like 15 minutes, my 10 YO son was the one who found me, he had been worried about me being out there for so long. Anyway, he helped me up, and I limped into the living room to lie down and ice my throbbing knee. About a week later, things calmed down a bit, it just twinged here and there. But the pain ramped up so much if I'd forget and end up kneeling on it--it would feel like it was breaking from the inside out, and take about 24 hours to quit hurting. My husband thought it was probably a bone bruise, and I thought that was probably the case. One thing that seemed odd though was a space between I felt between the patella bone, like a brief interruption in the bone. It seemed like maybe a fracture (in my non-doctor opinion) but I could still walk on my leg, and the pain was there, but it wasn't anywhere near what I'd expect a fracture to feel.

Then, last Sunday (by then my ankle was out of the boot and into a lace up ankle brace for my tendinitis & unstable ankle ligaments) I fell again. This time I was at my father in law's house, and I'd tripped over his rug. Now, my pain is constant, and wakes me up at night. I ice it several times a day, and the weight of the ice pack just kicks the pain up even higher, despite the fact the cold does feel good, and that "interruption" of my patella--for lack of a better description--is still there, and quite prominent. And the ridges are so tender to my touch, it's definitely point tender. If I hadn't noticed it before, I'd be a 100% it was caused by a fracture.

Unfortunately, of course, I hadn't noticed it before I injured my knee, so there's not much of a comparison point, except for the fact my left knee doesn't have that same issue. Another thing that makes me suspect I might have a bipartite patella on my right leg is that my right foot is pointed out, it's always been that way, but my left foot is pointed straight. I've suspected for awhile that my splayed out right foot played a big part in my balance issues, and part of the culprit of my "klutziness" however, I wished I'd paid attention to my kneecap pre-injury.

I know I need an X-Ray, and I'm sure I'll end up doing it since I'm still in a lot of pain. I just have so many other injuries I'm dealing with now, like the ankle injury as well as chronic neck and hip issues from a car accident almost 3 years ago. It's very annoying! But I also don't want to end up with arthritis in my knee. For now though, I've been propping it up, and keeping it in a brace, which helps a bit.

Anyway, does anyone else have a bipartite patella? If so, how was it discovered? Is it possible that fall number 3 finally ended up fracturing one of my two patellas (if that's indeed what I have)? Can you fracture one of two patellas in bipartite patella? I found a little info on bipartite patellas consulting Doctor Google, but nothing on actually fracturing one of them. I know the whole thing is fairly rare, and even more rare in women, but I've always been a medical oddity anyway, so why not?! LOL!

Thanks for reading my rambling post! I'd love to hear about it if anyone else has any experience with this. Have a great day! --Mega

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User
    Re: Bipartite Patella?

Hi,

I'm sorry that I can't address your exact condition only that I totally feel your pain. I have patella pain issues and have the run-around by Drs. The xray doesn't show much, 2 Drs. gave same opinion, tendonitis and ice, etc. and neither would order an MRI, but to wait it out. I went and had an MRI on my own and it showed no tendonitis but some small tears and cartilage loss under patella along with other things, NOT what Dr said. It hurts! I have so much empathy for anyone with this kind of pain! Again, I know that doesn't really help you but know you aren't alone. Hugs

Reply Reply