It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• What to make of this dr.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
    froggie83
    (female)

froggie83 HB User
    What to make of this dr.

Saw the surgeons assistant today, we discussed how all the conservative methods have failed to provide pain relief.
    She recommends continuing the conservative methods. and make an appt in 6 weeks.
    Is this normal??
    Do Drs just keep trying failed methods till eventually you crawl in to their office demanding the one surgical procedure that will fix the issue that's causing the pain?
    why do I feel like they are prolonging this just to get more money out of me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: What to make of this dr.

Are you not in a situation that surgery is an option? When can you see the doctor?
    q

Old 01-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd hold out for an appt with the doctor...also check with your insurance company to see if they require X amt of PT before surgery, etc.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
    froggie83
    (female)

froggie83 HB User

When I saw the surgeon 3 months ago he said that he wanted to try the shots and if they did not provide adequate relief then we would talk arthroscopic surgery to remove the cause and fix the torn part.
    Now his assistant is going backwards and recommending I try therapy again.(12 sessions of therapy and my pain is worse than before therapy started.)
    When I made the appt I was told I would be seeing the dr(orthopedic surgeon) again. No one told me I was not going to be seeing him till the assistant walked in. He was not even there. He is only there Wednesdays and if I call with questions the assistant will be the one answering them.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would have stopped the PA right then and there and said the appt was supposed to be with the doctor.Then I would have walked out to the reception area,demanded my copay back and booked an appt with the doctor only. You really have to drive this train. REcord the appts on your phone if necessary to prove what was said.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
    froggie83
    (female)

froggie83 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    I would have stopped the PA right then and there and said the appt was supposed to be with the doctor.Then I would have walked out to the reception area,demanded my copay back and booked an appt with the doctor only. You really have to drive this train. REcord the appts on your phone if necessary to prove what was said.
    I have no copays. Insurance will not pay anything till I have met my deductible. when you see the PA you get charged much less.. and I didn't realize till we were at the end of the appt that she didn't have a clue what was previously discussed.

When I encountered a similar situation with a Neuro surgeon the PA was actually more informative, more helpful and more detailed with the I formation I needed about my diagnosis.
    Ugh!! This healthcare system is so screwed up! I just wanna be done with doctors AND pain!

Old 01-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You said "I didn't realize till we were at the end of the appt that she didn't have a clue what was previously discussed."

If this is true then you need to speak to the office manager or practice administrator about WHY YOUR FILE WASNT READ and they WASTED YOUR TIME. All of the notes from your previous discussions and visits are there- so why didnt she read them?

Old 01-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
    froggie83
    (female)

froggie83 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    You said "I didn't realize till we were at the end of the appt that she didn't have a clue what was previously discussed."

If this is true then you need to speak to the office manager or practice administrator about WHY YOUR FILE WASNT READ and they WASTED YOUR TIME. All of the notes from your previous discussions and visits are there- so why didnt she read them?
    I will be doing this. And if the dr himself is not present for my next appointment I will find it extremely hard to not snap! I have been dealing with incompetent people in the medical field ever since August. I want to be fixed so I can get back to life without pain and pills and ice.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Make sure your appt is with the doctor. Call and explain that's what you want. Tell them you will not talk to the PA again until you have seen the doctor. If they cannot accomodate that, then get another doctor.

Reply Reply