It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Do's and Don't before and after knee surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
    Michaela12003
    (female)

Michaela12003 HB User
    Question Do's and Don't before and after knee surgery

Hi everyone, would like to hear about others who have had knee surgery...My boyfriend is going to have to have surgery, can't go on alot about what needs to be done other then the fact that the doctor told him that he would need a knee replacement...it won't happen for about 2 months, but it would be nice to know what he should expect and what will need to get ahead of time before surgery....would like to know how others have done afterwards too, thanks for your time...

Michaela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 05:12 AM   #2
    MrsLinda
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLinda HB User
    Re: Do's and Don't before and after knee surgery

Hello Michaela and welcome ~ I personally had a hip replacement but when I was in the Rehab Facility my roomie had a knee replacement. I can only talk a little about the "after" part.

Physical - he will have pain post-op but the nurses are excellent in dispensing meds to help control that. Some hospitals are equiped with "IV drip" morphine you control yourself for the first day I think. I didn't have that. Stitches come out about 10 days later.

Therepy - begins the next day. Even if it's just sitting on the bed. But walking is the priority. The stay I believe is like a hip proceedure, 5 days. That's here in New York. Then you either go home or to a rehab facility. I went to rehab. I truly feel anyone who can afford it (some insurances won't pay) go. You get triple the PT and OT which helped me greatly.

Equipment - my roomate had a leg lifter, a grabber and a walker. She eventually went to canes.

Can't tell you much more. Hopefully someone who has had the proceedure will jump in. There's TONS of information on the internet. Just search. Sometimes you find more information there than what the Doctor's give you!! Good luck...........

Old 08-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
    CanHip
    (female)

CanHip HB User

Hi Michaela
    I've had both knees and left hip replaced in last 18 months. I went to Physio for about 3 months twice a week before both knee operations to strengthen muscles around the knee. I had ultrasound and a pulse machine on my muscles to contract them and therefore strenghten them. No real exercises because my surgeon said doing exercises might actually make the knee worse before surgery. I feel the PT sped up recovery. I was walking better and for longer periods in rehab after the op as compared to other patients. I was fortunate my insurance covered the Pt costs. If his insurance doesn 't cover it I wouldn't worry they will get him moving the day after surgery. After surgery use lots of ice, pain meds before PT (this is very important it really allows you to move knee farther and you usually have to have over 90 degrees of bend before being released from rehab), do the exercises 2-3 times daily and go for short walks. In general keep the knee moving and he will find it moves more each day. I was in hospital for 4 days and then rehab for about 10 days after each knee. As far as equipment a raised toilet seat will make life alot easier at the beginning and as will a thing to put on socks, not sure what it is called.
    Hope this helps. By the way you can also tell him he really will feel better almost immediately. Yes there is pain, but to me it seemed like a different pain, maybe because you know it is going to go away, and I found it easily controlled with pain meds.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
    Michaela12003
    (female)

Michaela12003 HB User

OH Thank you for the information I will pass it on to him or better yet get him on the board so he can discuss what he's really feeling, sounds like getting as much pt after surgery will be best if possible, I had back surgery 2 years ago and had found alot of great information for me here at the time not to mention alot of wonderful people willing to share there experiences, such a huge help! I got the raised toilet seat, lol, never thought I'd like it so much, but it was a great help, lol, once again Thanks alot....

Michaela

Old 09-15-2005, 05:56 AM   #5
    ktlady
    Inactive
    (female)

ktlady HB User

I will be seeing a second orthopedic surgeon soon. I have put off the necessary knee replacement surgeries I need for a long time. Now I have had enough of the immobility and pain so I am ready for surgery....I think. I am just concerned for complications. Has anyone who has illnesses such as HBP and/or diabetes had complications after this surgery. I have had major surgery which was ok, thank God, a few years ago. I am anxious and getting upset. Thank you.

Last edited by ktlady; 09-15-2005 at 05:57 AM.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
    NCC1701PAM
    (female)

NCC1701PAM HB User

Hi I am having both my knee's replaced and I don't know if I should have both done at once. I was hoping someone could give me some websites to check into or have any information. I am going to have one or two done this month so I need help as soon as possible. ;-)

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #7
    jonesjd7
    (male)

jonesjd7 HB User

knee replacement surgries are no big deal i had one because i shattered my right knee cap in 2001 im fine now. as soon as the doctor tells him he can start bending it start. because the muscles in his leg will apthaphy from the knee emoblizer they'll put on him. i have arthritis in my knee now and it makes squeeking and cracking noises when i bend down so ask the doctor what can be done for that because knee replacement isn't permenant. more surguries will be needed in the future but it could be 10 or 20 years. rehabilatating the knee and leg after healing is the key. good luck and God Bless.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-16-2005 at 04:23 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 09-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #8
    Anybody
    Inactive

Anybody HB User

When all of you have seen your doctors for the first time about this problem - did any of them check your skeletal frame alignment? Did they check you for flat feet?
    If you have flat feet you should be fitted with proper arch supports. This would save your hips and knees which suffer from mis-alignment.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
    Mr.J
    (male)

Mr.J HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Do's and Don't before and after knee surgery

Guess it is a little late now but the best thing is to build your muscles up as best as you can before are you will be sorry. My first one no one told me to do that and the hell I went through. My second one I got my leg muscles up strong and had no problems. The day after surgery I bent my leg 90 degrees. I went back to work in 13 days. It really make a difference. Mr.J

Closed Thread