It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Age and knee replacement.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
    Bigbay
    (male)

Bigbay HB User
    Age and knee replacement.

I have been dealing with a bad knee since I was 16 yrs old and had knee surgery at 17 yrs old. I am 42 yrs old now. Years of use and having been overweight for some time has put alot of wear and tear on the knee and I don't have much of knee left. I have had weight-loss surgery and have loss alot of weight, but I still have a hard time getting around even though I am much lighter. I have seen a doc for the knee and He has said I'm to young to have replacement. I can see where I could be to young for it because they can only do a replacement so many times. The doc said, that if I did it now and when I am older, much older, I would not be able to get around and could be in a wheelchair. I have thought about this and just does not sound good to me, because when I'm old, I think I would want to slow down and sit back. I am young NOW and can't do many things! Why should I wait til I'm old to be young and have to be old now and I'm a young. I would like to be able to do things now and not wait 10yrs to get it done. Am I just thinking wrong? I can see that in the next year or so I will not be able to even walk. I want to live now and not later. Has anyone had this same thing? Anyone had it at a young age and how did it work for you? I think I'm going to see another doc to see what they say. Thanks!

Bigbay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
    Kiricki
    (female)

Kiricki HB User
    Re: Age and knee replacement.

Bigbay--

It seems to me that you need to get a second opinion on this. Was the doctor you consulted an orthopedic surgeon, or perhaps a general practice doctor, who is assuming you are to young for the surgery? I agree that waiting, while miserable and having great difficulty getting around, doesn't seem to be a very good option. I've had hip surgery, so am not really qualified to advise on knee surgery, but perhaps others on this board can be of help to you. Good luck! Anne

Old 02-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
    Bigbay
    (male)

Bigbay HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kiricki
    Bigbay--

It seems to me that you need to get a second opinion on this. Was the doctor you consulted an orthopedic surgeon, or perhaps a general practice doctor, who is assuming you are to young for the surgery? I agree that waiting, while miserable and having great difficulty getting around, doesn't seem to be a very good option. I've had hip surgery, so am not really qualified to advise on knee surgery, but perhaps others on this board can be of help to you. Good luck! Anne
    Thanks for your reply. I am going to get another opinion. I can see where the doc is coming from, but I'm stuck! The doc was a orthopedic, one of the best in town, but that does not make it any better. He has givin me shoot in the knee and I have two braces to wear, but they just don't work, I am just to far gone. I have a knee of a 90yr old. Thanks alot for replying!!!

Bigbay

Old 02-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
    cherry1952
    (female)

cherry1952 HB User

Hi, I had my first knee surgery when I was 37 yrs. old. (1990)It was arthoscopic surgery and following that my OS told me that arthritis had destroyed my knee. He said I definitely needed a total knee replacement. The problem as he explained it to me is exactly as you say. I was to young, it would wear out, and revision is much harder than initial TKR. I suffered and waited. IN 2002 a different OS operated on my opposit knee. Same story, arthritis had destroyed that knee as well. He did a medial meniscectomy and double chondroplasty. The surgery didn't work and within 3 months all the arthritis he had gotten rid of had come right back.

I'm now 53 yrs. old and 12 weeks post total knee replacement on the knee that had the most recent arthoscopic surgery. I will have the other knee replaced this coming fall after waiting for 16 yrs. to have it done. I know all about the kind of pains assosciated with needing TKR and being told you are to young. A big problem for me is that I also have serious GI problems including ulcers and strictures that require periodic dilatations. I have been allowed no aspirins, NSAIDS, COX-2 inhibitors or any arthritis medications for years.

Recovery from TKR is brutal and I am just now starting to reap the rewards. I think our Drs. have our best interest at heart when they tell us we are to young for TKR. They are trying to look out for our future, but, it should really be our indiv. decision after given all the information that we need to make an educated decision. They are not the ones living with this pain and loss of mobility, we are...If I were you I would atleast get a second opinion...Good luck and keep us informed...

Old 02-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
    Bigbay
    (male)

Bigbay HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherry1952
    Hi, I had my first knee surgery when I was 37 yrs. old. (1990)It was arthoscopic surgery and following that my OS told me that arthritis had destroyed my knee. He said I definitely needed a total knee replacement. The problem as he explained it to me is exactly as you say. I was to young, it would wear out, and revision is much harder than initial TKR. I suffered and waited. IN 2002 a different OS operated on my opposit knee. Same story, arthritis had destroyed that knee as well. He did a medial meniscectomy and double chondroplasty. The surgery didn't work and within 3 months all the arthritis he had gotten rid of had come right back.

I'm now 53 yrs. old and 12 weeks post total knee replacement on the knee that had the most recent arthoscopic surgery. I will have the other knee replaced this coming fall after waiting for 16 yrs. to have it done. I know all about the kind of pains assosciated with needing TKR and being told you are to young. A big problem for me is that I also have serious GI problems including ulcers and strictures that require periodic dilatations. I have been allowed no aspirins, NSAIDS, COX-2 inhibitors or any arthritis medications for years.

Recovery from TKR is brutal and I am just now starting to reap the rewards. I think our Drs. have our best interest at heart when they tell us we are to young for TKR. They are trying to look out for our future, but, it should really be our indiv. decision after given all the information that we need to make an educated decision. They are not the ones living with this pain and loss of mobility, we are...If I were you I would atleast get a second opinion...Good luck and keep us informed...

Thank for the reply. I have had gastric by-pass surgery for weight-loss and I also can't have meds for my knees and for pain. I use alot of bengay and I mean alot!!! My Wife and I are looking for a doc, She knows alot of surgeons and worked in surgery for years and is asking questions to if what we want is possible. I agree with you, that WE should be able to have these thing if We feel WE need them. I felt I needed weight-loss surgery, but the doc did not and if I did not push for it,(I was 488lbs) I would not be here now. I was dying slowly. Now, I am feeling great!!! All I need is better knee.

Bigbay

Old 02-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
    Mr.J
    (male)

Mr.J HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigbay
    I have been dealing with a bad knee since I was 16 yrs old and had knee surgery at 17 yrs old. I am 42 yrs old now. Years of use and having been overweight for some time has put alot of wear and tear on the knee and I don't have much of knee left. I have had weight-loss surgery and have loss alot of weight, but I still have a hard time getting around even though I am much lighter. I have seen a doc for the knee and He has said I'm to young to have replacement. I can see where I could be to young for it because they can only do a replacement so many times. The doc said, that if I did it now and when I am older, much older, I would not be able to get around and could be in a wheelchair. I have thought about this and just does not sound good to me, because when I'm old, I think I would want to slow down and sit back. I am young NOW and can't do many things! Why should I wait til I'm old to be young and have to be old now and I'm a young. I would like to be able to do things now and not wait 10yrs to get it done. Am I just thinking wrong? I can see that in the next year or so I will not be able to even walk. I want to live now and not later. Has anyone had this same thing? Anyone had it at a young age and how did it work for you? I think I'm going to see another doc to see what they say. Thanks!

Bigbay
    I had the same problem when I was 40. I went from one doctor to the next hearning the same thing as you. Finally at age 45 I found one and all he said was that knee has to go. He told me it was one of the worst knees he had ever done. That was about 12 years ago. I'm about to have to have the plastic replaced only because it was defective. I also had my other knee done two years ago and wouldn't take nothing for it. You would have to go into a run to walk faster than me. They did the new plateform knee on me the last time. I went back to work in 13 days. Mr.J

Old 02-20-2006, 06:21 AM   #7
    Bigbay
    (male)

Bigbay HB User

Hey Mr.J,

Thanks for your reply. Did the Doc do your knee because you wanted it or because you could not walk or was it beacuse you were closer to 50 yrs old. How long was you tell it would last before it would have the need to replace again. I was told only last for ten yrs. I am also trying to get it done to save my other knee that is taking all the weight. Thanks

Bigbay

Old 03-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
    ktlady
    Inactive
    (female)

ktlady HB User

Congratulations on your weight loss.
    You need to get another opinion from an orthopedic surgeon. Find a good surgeon who performs the surgeries at an excellent hospital. Check into surgeons reputation.
    I had TKR and I am not young but can say, I am happy I did it. Couldn't take the pain any longer. Have the other knee, which is bad, to do down the road.

Good luck to you. Keep posting.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
    Bigbay
    (male)

Bigbay HB User

Just to let everyone know, I have found a Dr. who will do younger people knees. I have talked to some one who has been turned down for age and they when to this doc and he had no problem doing it. I can wait the see this doc, I am so tired of walking like an old man of 90 and not a man that is 42.

Bigbay

Last edited by Bigbay; 03-23-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
    ktlady
    Inactive
    (female)

ktlady HB User

Great news.....Keep us posted on your progress with new Doc.

Good Luck.......

Old 03-29-2006, 06:14 AM   #11
    Bigbay
    (male)

Bigbay HB User

This week I had one of may many braces taken in to get adjusted. It is one of those that they take a mold of your whole leg, very costly, but INS co. paid for it. I had to have it looked at for each time I put it on and stand up, it came off. Come to find out, that my knee had widen out to the point that the brace did not fit. That shocked me!!! To me, that just assure me that it is time for a new knee. NO MORE BAND-ADE MEDICINE!!!! Just cover it up and hope it gets better or works. It helps alittle, but just enough to get around alittle. I can not wait to see the new doc!!

Bigbay

Old 04-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #12
    Karenann12342
    (female)

Karenann12342 HB User

I was wonder if anyone knew the easiest way to find the best knee replacement surgeon in my area. You know the one who has done the most and has the best out comes. I know its asking alot but I just don't know how to get an answer. Whoever I ask about a certain Dr. or place someone always has a horror story. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 AM   #13
    Bigbay
    (male)

Bigbay HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karenann12342
    I was wonder if anyone knew the easiest way to find the best knee replacement surgeon in my area. You know the one who has done the most and has the best out comes. I know its asking alot but I just don't know how to get an answer. Whoever I ask about a certain Dr. or place someone always has a horror story. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
    I first talked to my PCP and he got me started. The one I went to is one of the best in the field. Very busy man, but he just does not want to do the TKR for my age. The new one I am going to see, I ask some one who has had the TKR done and how they like them. What was good and what was bad about them, I choose the one with the most good. There is no better way than to find one than through some one who has done it.

Bigbay

Old 04-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #14
    Karenann12342
    (female)

Karenann12342 HB User

Thanks for you input, I will ask my pcp who he would have and see what response I get. Thanks again, Karenann

Old 04-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #15
    JoshuasMom
    (female)

JoshuasMom HB User

Hello Bigbay,

I am in the same boat as you. I had knee surgery on both of my knees when I was 17 yrs old. I am now 40 and I have no cartlidge left in both of my knees.(after a total of 7 surgeries) With my left knee hurting the most.

I am 40 with 2 children ages 7 and 2. My children suffer because mom can not be on her legs for to long or I am in pain. I can not even think about going to and amusement park or Disney World because I can not do all that walking.

I would also love to go for walks with my children in the neighborhood. I feel like I am useless at time because I can not be as active as I would like.

I just had my first set of infections in both knees. I have 4 more once a week. I am hoping these will help give me a little more time. But I will still never be able to walk for long periods of time. Or my knee swells up like a baseball.

I wish I has a crystal ball and could look into the future. It sure would make the desicision easier.

Kim

Closed Thread