It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• TKR June 20th and only 40 yrs old anyone else this young?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
    JoshuasMom
    (female)

JoshuasMom HB User
    Question TKR June 20th and only 40 yrs old anyone else this young?

I am wondering if there is anyone else that has had a TKR in thier 40's.

I am having my left one done and then will have my right one. I have been going back and forth on what knee to do first. The left has always been the worst. But just started has lots of problems with the right knee. I am afraid the right knee may not be able to favoring it after surgery.

I guess I have until June 20th to decide.

I would love to hear from others who have had a TKR in their 40's.

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
    Bigbay
    (male)

Bigbay HB User
    Re: TKR June 20th and only 40 yrs old anyone else this young?

I am 42 and I am going to have a TKR in the fall after I lose allitle more weight. I am look so forward to it, after so many year of pain and feeling like I'm 90 years old.

Bigbay

Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
    HappyDays2Come
    (female)

HappyDays2Come HB User

Hi Kim,
    I am scheduled for a TKR on June 19th. I am 32 years old. I have had joint problems for sometime now and the farthest I could trace back my medical history on my right knee was 13 years ago with my first MRI.

I had originally been told I was a candidate for a partial knee replacement but before the surgeon would schedule it, he asked I have a more sophisticated MRI completed, TRHO MRI, due to other areas in my knee with pain that he could not identify. Once the results came back it showed to much damage in multiple compartments of my knee to make me eligable for a partial knee replacement. I have had 4 surgeons tell me I need a TKR but everyone also said I was to young to do it and should just live with the pain for the next 18 years and come back and see them! It has been very stressful for me to hear them say this and at times I became very emotional in their office begging them to help me but always turned down. I asked one doctor if I was his sister, daughter or wife would he tell me to live with the pain for the next 18 years, he said no but offered nothing more. The last doctor before handing me his $200 bill for the 15 minute visit suggested perhaps I mighyt want to try acupuncture!!!

I finally found an excellent reputable doctor who is a believer age should not be a driving factor in treatment but rather quality of life. His credentials are great and affiliating hospital highly reputable. I actually had to plea a case to a schedular/secretary to be presented to him to see if he would agree to see me. So here I wait another 4 weeks after an already agonizing 3.5 week wait to have my TKR complete. I have been more than ready for this for quite sometime which is making the wait even longer. My husband has been very supportive and continues to remind me the wait is much less than 18 years which helps but I am very anxious to move forward with my life and get back to just having pain free days and getting back to things I have had to give up at such an early age.

Like you, I too have pain in both my knees. My right knee is getting done in June but I know my left knee to will need to be done but right now it seems the pain is managable in my left knee compare to my right. I haven't really been concentrating on left knee that much as far as treatment or studies but the pain is definately the same symptons as my right, it's not hard to tell it is how my right knee started out. Lately I have been second guessing myself if I should've pursued my left more aggressivily and planned to have both done in the same time frame but I guess at this point I am just happy to relieve the dominant pain in my right. One step at a time I guess.

So, I am not much help to you other than to offer I too am having a TKR at such a ripe old age as 32!!!

Good luck to you!

Old 05-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
    JoshuasMom
    (female)

JoshuasMom HB User

Hey Happy days

Thanks for the reply.
    We can be TKR Buddy's I am having my left knee done and my date has been moved up to June 16th.

I go for an MRI of my right knee tomorrow. Then I see my OS on Wednesday. I am now having problems with my right knee getting fuilded on the knee. My OS drained 50 cc of fuilded on MOnday. So now he talking about possible scoping my right at the same time as my TKR.

My doctor has been telling me the same thing for 4 yrs that I was just to young and he was worried I would wear the knee out to soon.

The last few times I was in his office I would just cry. As I keep telling him I have 2 children that I would like to be able to keep up with. I am also on medicine for depression because of feeling useless.

I will update after my next appt this Wednesday.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
    Dolphpep
    (male)

Dolphpep HB User

Kim,
    I am 44 and having my TKR on the left knee done April 21st...I have had three previous surgeries on that knee and have always had joint issues from playing so many sports, so hard, for so long. I was told 6 years ago when I was 38 after my last surgery that a Knee replacement was in my future. I held out as long as I could, but once my Quality of Life drastically dropped off (barely able to do steps, don't sleep more than 4 hours a night, can't get up from a seated position easily)...I took the plunge and now am rady to claim MY LIFE back! My doctor has assured me that I will be able to do everything that I did prior to the TKR. I am happy that you found someone that listens to the person instead of looking at the age...sometimes it can be more difficult than it should...We didn't choose to have our joints give out on us at a Young age, so why should we suffer!! I hope this helps. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dolphpep For This Useful Post:
    Mjfsinc (09-12-2011)
    Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
    Cookie8
    (female)

Cookie8 HB User

Hi, I'm 45 years old and just had TKR on my left knee on April 29th. I had a great hospital stay an was home in 2 days. It's been a bit rough now that I'm home with the swelling and pain. I had no idea the PT would be so difficult. I joked about it before the surgery because I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week really working the tough machines and bike prior to surgery. Now, just doing a straight leg raise is impossible and brings me to tears. I have my first outpatient PT appointment tomorrow and I'm a bit scared. I think it's important for you to gear up and understand the hard work ahead of you. My new mantra is that I know it will get stronger and life will be better, but it's going to take a long time and a lot of effort. I think being younger has it's advantages in the sense that we want so badly to have our active lifestyles again. I would love to keep in touch with you as we are on similar time schedules with this. It's always helpful to help others right? Feel free to ask me anything you were wondering about with this. I didn't know anyone as young as myself who's done this so it was hard to gauge what was in store. Good luck and be strong!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I had bi-lateral TKR's at 47. My ortho told me I needed a left TKR when I was 38 but I was really stubborn and waited until I could no longer walk at all.....10 more years. By then he had to do both at once.....I actually went through the surface of the tibia.

That was 11 years ago and they've been great up until recently. I may have gotten an infection in both of them....either that or I've gotten some weird inflammatory arthritis that blows up metal knees and makes them bleed. All the tests have been negative so far and the next one is a test to see if I've become allergic to the knees. Infection is more probable but I'm not having them redone until I've ruled out everything else. I like my knees!

Good luck. The newer knees allow you to pivot and bend further and they last a lot longer than even what I got. Mine are 10-15 year knees.....the new ones are 25-30 year knees and may last you a lifetime. I envy you.

At least if I do have to have more surgery, I'll get the newer ones that function more lifelike and last a lot longer. I'm up to 14 knee surgeries and if they go back in, that will make 16....sweet 16???????

Take care...............Jenny

Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

Hi Kim,
    I'm 52 and had my right knee done 3-31-10 and am scheduled for the left on 7-7-10. I think the thing with the doctors is after about 20 to 25 years you will need a revision (plastic parts replaced), so the older you are the less likely you will be to need one. I can tell you at 10 weeks out I am glad I had the first one done. DW (Dear Wife) and I walked around the block tonight for the first time without a cane. Had it but didn't use it. All the pain was in my unoperated knee. For me the whole thing was about quality of life. I'm getting mine back, you should to Good luck!
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
    Cookie8
    (female)

Cookie8 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    Hi Kim,
    I'm 52 and had my right knee done 3-31-10 and am scheduled for the left on 7-7-10. I think the thing with the doctors is after about 20 to 25 years you will need a revision (plastic parts replaced), so the older you are the less likely you will be to need one. I can tell you at 10 weeks out I am glad I had the first one done. DW (Dear Wife) and I walked around the block tonight for the first time without a cane. Had it but didn't use it. All the pain was in my unoperated knee. For me the whole thing was about quality of life. I'm getting mine back, you should to Good luck!
    Dear Kim,
    I'm 45 and almost 6 weeks out. It's been a long haul but I know that within a year I will have my old life back. We are too young to not be able to do what we want to with our legs! Everyone on this forum will agree that this journey is a hard one but you will get through it. There are lots of ups and downs so try not to go into it too optimistic right up front. Keep telling yourself, this too shall pass! Good luck and check in often because more often than not you will see questions and answers about the same things going through your head.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
    HiMaintenance
    (male)

HiMaintenance HB User

I'm 41 and had it done Jan 20th on my right one. I will have my left one done Jan 2011. I was home in 2 days, out patient PT on the 3rd. PT is a huge grind, but the more you push yourself the quicker and better you feel. Sleep is incredibly hard, as you feel that you have a 30 lb dead wait on your knee. I may need a new one in 20-25 years, but having absolutely no pain now (4 mos post op) it is so worth it!!!! I worked my *** off, and was skiing 9 weeks post op. My knee is stronger and better than ever and my left one is next to go.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiMaintenance View Post
    I'm 41 and had it done Jan 20th on my right one. I will have my left one done Jan 2011. I was home in 2 days, out patient PT on the 3rd. PT is a huge grind, but the more you push yourself the quicker and better you feel. Sleep is incredibly hard, as you feel that you have a 30 lb dead wait on your knee. I may need a new one in 20-25 years, but having absolutely no pain now (4 mos post op) it is so worth it!!!! I worked my *** off, and was skiing 9 weeks post op. My knee is stronger and better than ever and my left one is next to go.
    That's pretty impressive! Glad you recovered so fast, I wish I would

Kim, you should remember though that every knee is different. We all want a story like HiMaintance, unfortunately few of us get it.
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
    HiMaintenance
    (male)

HiMaintenance HB User

I forgot to mention my doctor!! I credit him more than anyone else. My TKR was done with the Minimally Invasive Technique, which I think equates to a much better, FASTER and EASIER recovery and rehab. I literally have a 4" scar. This technique I still believe is not the majority of TKR's done, so maybe not many doc's do it. Less scar tissue, less ligament/muscle damage etc....
    I'm not without complications either. I pulled a hip muscle doing all this rehab/pt, which is not easy to deal with right now--I'm hoping it goes away.

Good luck. This board has great info and advice. I learned a lot just from other people's stories and NIGHTMARE's. I cried my first day on out patient PT table (I'm a guy), and I thought I would never make it. It's a grind, but knowing your hard work makes you feel better week by week, it's totally worth the ordeal. I also believe in a very aggressive PT therapist.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiMaintenance View Post
    I forgot to mention my doctor!! I credit him more than anyone else. My TKR was done with the Minimally Invasive Technique, which I think equates to a much better, FASTER and EASIER recovery and rehab. I literally have a 4" scar. This technique I still believe is not the majority of TKR's done, so maybe not many doc's do it. Less scar tissue, less ligament/muscle damage etc....
    I'm not without complications either. I pulled a hip muscle doing all this rehab/pt, which is not easy to deal with right now--I'm hoping it goes away.

Good luck. This board has great info and advice. I learned a lot just from other people's stories and NIGHTMARE's. I cried my first day on out patient PT table (I'm a guy), and I thought I would never make it. It's a grind, but knowing your hard work makes you feel better week by week, it's totally worth the ordeal. I also believe in a very aggressive PT therapist.
    LOL, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only guy crying on the PT table I told my PT to get as agressive as he wanted also. No pain no gain, right? My surgery was old school, I guess. I have an 8 1/2 inch scar! Glad to hear your doing so well though HM!
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #14
    fibromommy
    (female)

fibromommy HB User

I am 45, both knees have no cartilage...except for a bit in the area which makes it a possibilty I may have the Partial Knee Surgery the first time around. EXCEPT, all three surgeons I have consulted with have not offered to take me on as a surgery. THEY ALL SAY I AM TOO YOUNG! I have a 13yr old and a 9 yr old who have terribly limited lives because I can't get around. It is not just the pain that I am in, I feel like I am neglecting my kids. Why can't these doctors see that this affects whole families? Not to mention I have lost my job, have lost the will to look for another one, I have become incredibly depressed.

Cheer to all of you who have found DR's who will do the surgery for you, despite being under the age of 50!

I hope to find one, too.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
    hollybubblegums
    (female)

hollybubblegums HB User

Hiya, I'm 38 and had mine done last December, they did make me aware how hard and painful it was going to be so that helped to come to terms after the op. Day 3 was PT for me and I was in for four days in total. My PT told me from the beginning use it or lose it and the first six to twelve weeks were crucial to get optimum movement back. I remember screaming through some sessions (such a wimp ) and even tears working through the pain but they told me it was normal and Im not the only one who does this, thankfully. I just remember thinking the other people waiting after me must have thought they were torturing me, sometimes it felt like it.
    The only thing really that got me down the most was the cramps in my knee , they hadn't warned me about that but with a nice warm heat pack that eased it loads.
    Im getting there now , its been six months and after joining this forum and the lovely people who have given me advice I feel much better about the outlook of my next op , need the right one done too
    I hope your forthcoming op goes well and a speedy recovery too

Closed Thread