It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• TKR Recovery Tips and Tricks?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2006, 04:19 AM   #1
    HappyDays2Come
    (female)

HappyDays2Come HB User
    Question TKR Recovery Tips and Tricks?

Hello All,
    I am a new member to this posting board and am scheduled to have a TKR on June 19th. I am a pretty young candidate, just turned 32 the end of last month but have been suffering with knee pain for the past 13 years with a signifanct increase in the past couple of years.

Sadly to say, I am very much looking forward to the surgery and as excited as I am to get back to activities I have had to give up like hiking, I am more excited to be able to sit at my desk at work without pain or walking upstairs to my bedroom everyday, driving a car, etc. It will be the daily releifs I hope to gain that give me the most excitement!

I feel pretty prepared for the surgery as far as what to expect. I have read and re-read many of times the literature provided to me as well as spent a good amount of time on line reading about the procedure, expected recovery, post physical therapy, researching the specific hardware I will be recieving as well as visiting many message boards to read about other peoples experiences.

One thing I have not read much about is if anyone has any tips or tricks that helped them during recovery. Besides the standard durable medical equipment suggested is there anything anyone can tell me that may have helped during your recovery? The doctor's can suggest a lot but I always feel like personal experience input is valuable as well. People seem to have a knack for finding tricks to work around things.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
    alzannod
    (female)

alzannod HB User
    Re: TKR Recovery Tips and Tricks?

Hi HappyDays... I had my tkr when I was 46 a few years ago. I had the visiting nurse service come to my house for a month following the surgery. A big help. Although I religiously did my exercises every day twice a day (hard but you need to) she made sure I wasn't over doing it and that I was doing the exercises correctly. You need to do the exercises - they will hurt. Other than the leg machine (which was a god send) she was the next best thing toward my recovery especially since I was alone during most of the day. If your insurance provides this I would recommend it.

I was back at work exactly two months to the day of my tkr and I climbed Diamondhead in Hawaii five months after surgery. Having my knee replaced was the best medical decision I've ever made and I felt stupid for waiting so long before doing it.

One thing: If your bedroom is upstairs you should think about an alternative. Although the hospital wouldn't release me unless I could walk up and down a flight of stairs twice without assistance (except crutches) it was not fun.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread