It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Knee mri and xrays no help to diagnose my arthritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
    littears
    (female)

littears HB User
    Unhappy Knee mri and xrays no help to diagnose my arthritis

I have posted for problems with my back in the back department but having trouble with my right knee is painful to the touch and feels warm at times it is causing me to limp. Long story short had xrays and mri they are all normal the ortho dr told me. I know i have arthritis in my foot same side right side. Dr wants me to have arthroscopic surgery they all just wanna cut you open any chance they get is it possible i have arthritis there and they cannot see it? My gp states it is osteoarthritis. I fell which made my back act up now in traction for terapy and have a bad left shoulder which also needs surgery i have bone on bone in left shoulder from accident. I have had had several accidents past few years car 2 in one year hit by others etc. Fallen down stairs . Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My gp has me on bp med because of chronic pain he has done cbc and lipids and lymes test they are all normal and thryoid normal to. I feel like the ortho dr dosen't want to beleive me but now for my back possibly surgery as have herniated l3 l4 l5 area and i am tired all the time. What do the cysts look like with ra? thanks for listening..... I have had multiple surgeries over last 6 years carpal tunnel ,galbladder ,female problems so i am pretty well fed up with surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
    adamace1
    Veteran
    (male)

adamace1 HB User
    Re: Knee mri and xrays no help to diagnose my arthritis

Hello just wanted to let you know that i know how you feel. I have been to 5 doc's concerning my knee's, both of mine hurt all the time. One day after being sick they started to hurt and 9 months later they both still hurt. They say my left one has torn medial menicus. They want me to do the arthroscopic surgery as well on both knee's. I'm very confused How did i tear my menicus on my left knee and screw up my right knee laying on the couch for a week while i was sick? I have another post on here i want some stories of people, cause i don't know what to do, i'm kinda young 27 so i want to make the right choice. Good luck to you.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

You may have "inflammation" in your knees from unknown cause.

I currently have this problem and finally was put on Limbrel 250 mg. and in 2 weeks the inflammation is better, at least enough for me to have hopes.
    My left knee is not as swollen, sore, ache/hurt as it did. Other area are better too. I could not take Motrin or Aleeve, made stomach hurt. I have inflammation all over my body for unknown cause.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
    roses4evver
    (female)

roses4evver HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Knee mri and xrays no help to diagnose my arthritis

Hello everyone ,

This disease shows no mercy , no one is too young to get it. I was about 30 when symptoms popped up & was diagnosed with osteo. Just 2 mo ago diagnosed also with rheumatoid.
    I'm 45, working full time on my feet all day with a grand career & a 13 yr hx of osteoarthritis(all hereditary). I was consuming 3000 mg daily of tylenol the first 11 yrs, the last 2 yrs 4500 mg daily.
    I hyper-extended my knee 3 1/2 mo ago in a small dip in the grass. MRI said arthritis..., no tears anywhere. So basically it came back negative, x-rays also showed arthrits too. Like I didn't already no this....lol. I was on crutches x 3 wks then cane for 3 more weeks. Was told the only thing left to do was scope my knee. I could not walk, was in excruciating pain, & could not work....so I had the scope (had enough surgeries) done out of pure frustration. My Ortho knew something was really wrong inside because my knee was in such bad shape after hyper-extending it.

MRI did not show what was wrong but the SCOPE did.

I've been having spontaneous ruptures due to the severe osteo in my knees. There is nothing hardly left to the meniscus or cartlidge in my knees, left knee being the worst because it was injured on top of it already being bad. Told me all 3 compartments to the knee are severely affected & I will not be walking in 5 yrs...realistically it will be way less than that he said. I need a total knee replacement but am too young.
    So now I am trying "hyalgan injections" starting next week. Hopefully this will bide me some time, hopefully yrs I pray. It's suppose to help provide cushion/shock absorption/replaces synovial fluid. This does need to be repeated ever so often.

Needless to say I was devistated when I was told. I wish I had known sooner that my knees were this bad. I guess I'm just to tough for my own good. My Family Physician made me feel like this bad pain was normal for a person with osteo. Had I went to the ortho sooner, had a scope done then more could have been done sooner to preserve the cartlidge/Meniscus which in turn really prolongs a TKR or PKR. I'm not telling anyone what to do, just my story. I'm now currently having to take 4500 mg tylenol, 150 mg ultram(pain med), & darvocet(pain med) - all daily.

I have difficulty with everything, walking, standing, sleeping, pain even with all the medications...anything. Plus a whole lot I can't due...no more steps, no more walks, & no more riding bikes, and all the simple little things that we use our knees for in a daily routine. I pray at least I will be able to work...I won't know that till next week.

If a person is suffering from chronic pain in their knees & their seeing a orthopedic surgeon, their tests come back negative, then a scope might be strongly considered. It's inevasive & only 2-3 very small holes are made to get the scope in.
    I wish you all many blessings & hope you don't have to travel down the road I did.
    You will not regret it.

~Roses~

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
    roses4evver
    (female)

roses4evver HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Knee mri and xrays no help to diagnose my arthritis

Hi again,

I wanted to mention as others have. An anti-inflammatory medication (for inflammation) really does help. In my case it didn't matter because I have been on several different ones for 13 yrs.
    Also try cold gel packs(stores in freezer) on your knees. They have been a Godsend for me. I've had a hard time locating this in stores so I got a large(8x16) one by mail order 5 yrs ago...cost was only 19.95 plus SH,. I just sent away for 2 more...not bad a 27.00 investment that lasted me 5 yrs.

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Old 08-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

sorry i can't remember who said they hurt their rt knee laying on the couch. i have a badly swollen ankle and foot that the ortho said i must have turned over wrong during the night.LOL this is after a back and knee injury. you think you're crazy sometimes the way some dr.s answer you. it's frustrating.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
    adamace1
    Veteran
    (male)

adamace1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roses4evver
    Hi again,

I wanted to mention as others have. An anti-inflammatory medication (for inflammation) really does help. In my case it didn't matter because I have been on several different ones for 13 yrs.
    Also try cold gel packs(stores in freezer) on your knees. They have been a Godsend for me. I've had a hard time locating this in stores so I got a large(8x16) one by mail order 5 yrs ago...cost was only 19.95 plus SH,. I just sent away for 2 more...not bad a 27.00 investment that lasted me 5 yrs.
    Or i use a bag of frozen corn or peas works great and only cost me 99cents

Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
    adamace1
    Veteran
    (male)

adamace1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICC
    sorry i can't remember who said they hurt their rt knee laying on the couch. i have a badly swollen ankle and foot that the ortho said i must have turned over wrong during the night.LOL this is after a back and knee injury. you think you're crazy sometimes the way some dr.s answer you. it's frustrating.
    It was me i was laying on the couch for a week cause i was sick. And i guess i tore my left medial meniscus and screw up my right knee at the same point in time.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
    roses4evver
    (female)

roses4evver HB User

The idea of frozen bags of vegetables is GREAT! I forgot about that ...lol

Closed Thread