It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Possible Torn Meniscus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
    WarriorPrncss
    (female)

WarriorPrncss HB User
    Exclamation Possible Torn Meniscus

Hey all! Just a question for you guys....

Long story short:

I'm a college cheerleader with constant knee pain.... sports medicine at the college cares for us.... I'd been in to see them about my knee and went back today because the pain suddenly got worse and more constant....

One of the Sports Med. people told me that she thinks a may have a tear in my meniscus... however, my question is, if I had a tear in my meniscus, would I even be able to walk? I did some research online, and I have all the symptoms... I mean, the sports med girl has her degree and knows what she's talking about, but I still can't help but wonder. They have "benched" me until they figure out what's wrong, (I have an appt with a doctor 10/26)... I guess, more than anything, I am just looking for some input from those who have had a meniscus tear/similar experience.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ashley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
    mistahallstar0
    (male)

mistahallstar0 HB User
    Re: Possible Torn Meniscus

Yes you will be able to walk. Anything is possible, but I don't know if you are having surgery or what. However, I know this because I dislocated my knee last year when I was a senior for high school. So basically, I had to sit my whole senior year out for playing basketball and it sucked. But anyways, at that time this girl who also was a senior tore her meniscus and played volleyball, soccer and basketball. I know it upseted her because she couldn't play any sports, but we both knew how it felt with knee problems. To make a long story short, she sat that whole year of sports out, but after 9 months since her injury, we both worked out harder and harder every day. So she walks, runs and plays volleyball now in college. So the answer is, when you put your mind to anything, you can do whatever you want in life, just gotta work hard for it.
    Hope that helps and sorry to hear that about you cuz I know that sucks.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
    sadies mom
    (female)

sadies mom HB User

Hi~ I'm alot older than both of you; but tore the meniscus of my left knee 2 1/2 weeks ago. You DO need an MRI to get a definitive diagnosis. So if your dealing with student health, you might want to try to see a doc out in the real world. I'm not an athelete but do workout several days a week to help with sx from fibromyalgia, back problems and weight. This has been SO hard not being able to work out. My knee is ok as long as I am sitting with my feet up or laying down~but, if I try walking any distance or do the stairs in my home too much, the knee throbs and feels "wobbly" for lack of a better word. I'm afraid that if I do much more activity wise, that I'll damage it even more and make the surgery more difficult.

My surgery (arthroscopy) is this Thursday and I am praying all goes well and I can get back in the gym soon. All I can say from my own expereince is to take it easy and not push with sports. Just wait for the right answers and treatment.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
    m1e1b1s1
    (female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User

Yes, you can walk with a torn meniscus!

My daughter who was 14 at the time, tore hers (and had stretched her ACL) and played basketball on it for almost 4 months....therapy wasn't working, we'd even do ultrasound therapy before games, and she'd be running and it would lock, she'd bend her knee back and it would pop, she'd then be okay for a bit. She loves baksetball so much, she'd downplay the pain a bit I think so she wouldn't be benched...but wasn't running well and that was very noticable)

They did an MRI and found a tear, she had arthoscopic surgery to fix it (the tear was much worse then expected (she had a full bucket handle tear, which would fold itself, so it didn't show on the MRI) and she ended up with 5 anchors and they had to do some scraping of her tibia and femur to promote bleeding).

Long story short....she had surgery in July of 05, had to go back in for another in Nov (2 days after being released to play again, she was playing and thought it happenned again....but it was just a piece that didn't heal, which the surgeon said the minute he saw her and just scheduled surgery rather than waiting or doing another MRI) just to remove a piece that didn't heal, and she was back on the basketball court in December, with a brace, and played basketball almost daily through June (she plays AAU and HS) and then played softball, and is now playing soccer...she's doing VERY well!

Just make sure you have a GOOD surgeon, if you indeed end up needing surgery....hers is a saint....we love him to the end of the world....

GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
    WarriorPrncss
    (female)

WarriorPrncss HB User

m1e1b1s1- Thank you so much... I though that if it was torn I would not be able to walk... If I would have known they I was going to be benched I probably would not have said anything... after I was I tried to downplay... didn't work...

SadiesMom- My college is the only JC in the state with a certified Athletic Training / Sports Medicine program. The trainers are excellent, they are "real world" they have masters degrees, and just because they don't have PhD's does not mean they don't know anything. Our head Trainer traveled with the U.S. under-23 Olympic soccer team and worked the Pan-Am games in Cuba and he was also a trainer for the Olympic games rowing and canoeing events. Anyhow, they have specific sports med doctors they work with in our town for athletes that they treat. The trainers do their evaluations and decide if the athlete needs to see a doctor or if they can just do their own treatment. If a doctor is needed their are specific doctors in our town that they work with, the doctor does his/her part and then after diagnosis and/or surgery the doctor works with our Trainers to get our athletes back up and running; so, I am scheduled to see a Ortho. Though... not soon enough... 3 1/2 weeks out of practice and games is WAY too long.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
    m1e1b1s1
    (female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User

Good luck!

I know it is hard being out....Steph had a terrible time not being able to play....basketball is her life, so being benched was not fun.....then when she got back, her coaches were very wary and didn't play her a ton in the beginning, but she's back into full swing now :-)

Sounds like you've got good people you can see, just be persistant and get in to see an ortho. it's normal for them not to jump into surgery...I asked why the wait with our daughter, and her surgeon said he tries the non invasive route first, it didn't hurt anything, didn't make it worse...but he's not one to cut if it isn't necessary! He's a great surgeon and we're blessed here in VT to have someone so good!

Closed Thread