It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Problems with revision

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
    peter c

peter c HB User
    Problems with revision

I have had a THR done on aboth hips,first one in 1994 and the second in 1998.
    The first one lasted 12 years which was good for my age as I was 41 at the time,due to the wearing away of the polyethylene liner, I had a revision done eight weeks ago,as the wear particles were causing a great deal of inflamation.
    The operation was fairly straightforward and the surgeon said that I could bear full weight with the aid of crutches a[bout one week]and when I was more confident I could progress to a cane.
    My problem is that after eight weeks I still have pain [although not as bad as before]and I still have an evident limp if I walk without a cane.
    My doctor says everything is fine, but the pain hasn't diminished, I cannot bear full weight unaided, and I thought that it couldn't possibly happen, but depression has set in at the thought of being operated again, or having to put up with this discomfert.
    Has anyone else had this problem,and I was wondering, if my problem was caused by a buildup of wear particles, does just the replacing of the liner remove the wear particles as well ?.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
    bsherm
    (female)

bsherm HB User
    Re: Problems with revision

I have had both hips replaced (1997&1998 my age was 44) two years ago Everything seemed great for 7 years.I then had a revision because my doctor said I was wearing unevenly. I had no pain up to that point. I had good results. Eight weeks ago I had a revision on my 2nd hip. Unfortunately I was not as lucky with my results. Immediatly I noticed a difference from the first revision. My gait was off and and I had a lot more swelli;ng than ever before. I was also told to go for PT which did not seem as necessary after my othher revision. About 7 weeks after surgery I dislocated one morning when I was lying in bed and was stretching. Out popped my hip. After a trip to the ER I was put back together. My doctor told me I needed to return to PT because my muscle tone in my glutes was weak. I went back and during PT I once again dislocated. So what now?

Closed Thread