It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• question about hip replacement...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
    skycamefalling
    (male)

skycamefalling HB User
    Question question about hip replacement...

i am 22 years old, and on july 21st 2006 a car took a turn too fast and came directly into my lane and hit me head on...i ended up completely smashing my hip, broke my phemer, right hand, and had some other fractures...the doctors were able to reconstruct my hip, and luckily enough they did it in a way that i would never need a new surgery, i was set for life. since then, i've been doing physical therapy 3 days a week, an hour each visit...and things were really improving...then in the past month, i started to not be able to do things i was able to do before, like pick my leg up without holding it, crossing my leg, things of that nature, and the pain became extremely immense...

so on the 14th of this month, i seen my orthapedic doctor, it turns out my ball joint has began to detereorate...apparently there may have been a hair line crack in the ball since the day of my accident, but it wasn't noticeable, and since i've started to walk again, i lost blood flow to that bone, and it began to start grinding down...

now i need to have that ball replaced, and the piece that attaches to it, they call it a 'total hip replacement'...so many things about this scare me...the risks of the surgery, the fact that i have to be in the hospital again, and the fact that my replacement will now not last forever...

is there anyone out there who has had this done?, and if so, can you tell me in detail what to expect?? what will the rest of my life be like??? i am a very active person, i love soccer, i love skateboarding, i love music, i've been in and out of bands since my early teens, and jumping around on stage means the world to me...i am currently in a new band now, and i just feel like this is the end of it all, and to top that all off, i have two daughters, 2 and 3 years old=), i havn't been able to be to active with them since my accident, and i want things to go back to the way they were...i mean being 22, this isn't easy to accept...i just want to know if i can be crazy young me again, and be able to afford to slip, fall, and move quickly...

any help is highly appreciated, and to whoever reads this, please keep me in you're prayers...

all of this is foreign to me, and i just want a better understanding of the risks (ie: infections, bloodclots, etc..) and how my life will change from this point on...

much thanks in advance...

-mike...

Last edited by skycamefalling; 03-18-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
    lesleyfxx
    (female)

lesleyfxx HB User
    Re: question about hip replacement...

I'm 48 and only just had my THR. I have been doing a lot of research online and found this great website which answers loads of questions. I'll post a link. Please take time to read all the info... it will help answer most of your questions. Good luck and think positive... it really helps!

[removed]

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-19-2007 at 05:34 AM.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
    legtoolong
    (female)

legtoolong HB User

There are many old threads on this site which give a lot of information.
    Check out the two at the top--6 mo. after...
    Some people have great results, some not so great but one thing that really helps is to be in good shape before the surgery. Look at all the posts from Ripanco--she had both done at once. You can look at my posts too under the name Legtoolong.
    Hope this helps.
    Legtoolong

Old 03-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Every person's experience is different but the vast majority of individuals have great success.

The first thing that come to mind is yes, you will have to make some changes in your life. Yes you could in theory keep jumping around the stage and do high impact sports BUT it will lessen the life of the hip itself. Hips today can last as long as 20 years if you have a good surgeon utilizing the newest techniques. Abusing your hip as you did in the past will definately shorten that lifespan which means you'll need another replacement probably in your 30's instead of in your 40's. Are these activities worth the increased pain and decreased lifespan of the hip? To me it isn't.

There are still lots of things you can do and still enjoy life, you'll just have to find new ways of moving around with the band istead of jumping. You'll have to learn and know your limits. We all had to but it doesn't mean your life will come to an end.

The surgery:
    It's about a 4 hour surgery and on average about a 4-7 day hospital stay. Your leg will be weak and it will hurt. People claim they felt better after the surgery, I never did and had mine done many times.

After the hospital stay you may be sent to a rehab facility or stay in the hospital for rehab. This period of time could be for a few days up to a few weeks. It depends on your doctor itself and how your progress while in the hospital immediately.

They do get you up and walking the next day but it's not like you think. Generally speaking you'll be using a walker to get around and won't be able to lift your leg. Some doctors will allow full weight bearing, some won't.

Infection rates are low. Generally they have you on IV antibiotics for a few days. Any time you get a large cut or have surgery you will need medication to prevent infections. Any time you have dental work done you will have to be premedicated with antibiotics to prevent infections. The reason this is done is that when you have an infection the first place it will travel is to the prothesis, this in turn will release toxins that go through your blood stream and to your heart which can kill you

Blood clots are rare. They will have you wear special hose to help prevent them and probably have you on a machine for the first few days you are in the hospital to keep the blood circulating. I would not worry about it. You may have to take blood thinners or aspirin for a period of time just to protect you.

You'll have to go to physical therapy for probably 6 weeks after you are out of the hospital. Rehabilitation is so very important. If you are healthy you can expect to be back to a normal lifestyle in 3-6 months, for some folks it does take longer.

Definately read the other threads, I've written a few myself regarding a recent revision I had due to hip failure. There's a lot to be learned but it's nothing to be scared of. The risks are no different than any other surgery but you do have to protect your hip for a period of time. You will not be allowed to bend more than 90 degrees for a while, you will not be allowed to cross your legs either until your doctor feels it is OK.

Most doctors will give you a handbook of the things to expect post op and what you will need like a shoe horn, grabber to pick things up off the floor, raised toilet seat, shower chair etc. Some hospitals offer classes you can take prior to the surgery, see if your doctor or hospital offers them. It will answer much of your base questions.

Good luck
    Barbie

Old 03-21-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
    skycamefalling
    (male)

skycamefalling HB User

thanks a ton for the reply...i appreciate it very much

i think my biggest upset with all of this, is the fact that i have been in my 'convalescent' period now for like 8 months...my accident was on july 21, i went through my surgery, did all the in hopsital therapy stuff, came home, was useless for awhile,, then started outpatient pt...and i was doing a lot better...even like a month ago, i could, of course with some discomfort, do just about anything...and now, i walk with a cane again, and i can barely walk...i'm going to call and schedule the surgery this week, might as well face it and get it over with...it's going to be weird though, if i come out of surgery less than the way i was a month ago...i just wish they would have been able to see that my ball joint was cracked when i first had my accident on july 21...and all my post op appointments...i don't understand how something like this can just happen that fast...when you put soo much of yourself into therapy, and getting used to a completely different way of life, and you are working towards placing yourself back into the norm, and then you are told you have to do it all over again, and this time, i'll need more throughout my life...its tough and unexpected....

i feel like this entire situation has changed me, like before this i barely would take a tylenol...and then i started on so many painkillers and muscle relaxants...which honestly don't work too well, just enough to rest my mind...

anyways, thanks to all for reading my rants=)
    i appreciate the feedback, and i guess i just have to take the leap now...since i really don't know how much longer this ball is going to be there...i have gotten significantly worse in just the past 4 days...so it is time

---mike

Old 03-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
    pg5teacher
    (female)

pg5teacher HB User

Wow! My 22 year old daughter had Legg Perthes which caused the ball joint to detioriorate (AVN). She has had off and on pain over the years and then the pain in one of the hips became miserable. She has had 2 arthroscopic surgeries on the one hip , but started falling the past year. Then the pain became severe and we were told by the Dr. that total hip replacement is the only option left to rid her of the pain and enable her to live the normal active life she loves. So she is scheduled for May 10. Needless to say, we have the same fears and worries as you do, and the same questions. She will be coming home from her last year in college for the surgery and dropping out for a summer semester in order to recouperate. Sometimes it feels as if she's the only really young person out there going through this, so I was surprised to see your post. I'm going to tell her about this site and have her post on here. I think it will lift her spirits to hear from another young person. You are not alone. We keep reading and trying to get a better feel of what is to come. I think this type of site is really great because you get to hear from those who have actually gone through the surgery and are living with the new hip. Experience is the best teacher.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
    skycamefalling
    (male)

skycamefalling HB User

i wish nothing but the best for you and your family...it is a super traumatic thing, especially at such a young age, obviously...

and i too would love to have someone my age to relate with, so yea, have her come on and chat, or even hit me up on *******=)

i called my Doctor's office today to schedule the surgery, so i am awaiting a phone call back...scary times, but hopefull a brand new beginning i guess...

keep me in your prayers as i will keep you in mine...

-mike

Old 03-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
    pg5teacher
    (female)

pg5teacher HB User

Will do. Let me know when you're scheduled. My daughter got her packet from the Dr. yesterday. It has all the preop instructions, etc. I spoke with her this evening about this site and she is going to get on and post. Watch for her, she's from Raleigh, NC. You're in my prayers and just hang in there.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
    skycamefalling
    (male)

skycamefalling HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pg5teacher View Post
    Will do. Let me know when you're scheduled. My daughter got her packet from the Dr. yesterday. It has all the preop instructions, etc. I spoke with her this evening about this site and she is going to get on and post. Watch for her, she's from Raleigh, NC. You're in my prayers and just hang in there.
    thank you. that means more to me than you could ever know=)

i also received the preop packet...but i told the doctor when i first received it that i would just call to schedule the actualy surgery, i felt full of shock i guess, and just wanted to leave...since i've already had my socket rebuilt 8 months ago, i never imagined having to do this...but yea, i'll keep an eye out for your daughter....

Old 03-23-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
    jimmyhonda
    (male)

jimmyhonda HB User

Hi skycamefalling and hi everyone...

My ortho told me that I need to have a THR - two hips done. I've been postponing this operation for a while because I'm kind of scared what the outcome would be like. He scheduled me for October to have them done. He told me that because I'm young, my chances of healing will be good. I'm 30 years old. I can not bend down to tie my shoe laces, and I can't run fast. I can only walk for a short distances, if I walk too long, my hips /legs will become stiff and sore. As you can see, my quality of life is suffering.

What I really like to know is, will this surgery makes you limp? and will I be able to tie my shoe laces and run?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:36 AM   #11
    KristenG
    (female)

KristenG HB User
    Question Re: question about hip replacement...

Hey everyone....wow there are young people out there with hip problems! lol not that I wish it on anyone, u just feel alone. I am 24 years old and have had 5 hip surgeries since I was 11. At 17 I went into surgery to get a THR, but at the last minute my surgeon said he couldnt do it because of my age. He then gave me what was called a Intertrochanteric osteotomy to buy me some time, Unfortunatly my body didnt respond and the hip never gave up the pain. I did get lots of movement back but honestly Id rather have less movement then more pain. Anyways my life is basically put on hold. Since i have had chronic pain for 13 years my whole body is now effected. Sooo I was wondering where everyone lives??? Have u experienced any difficulties because of your age??? My surgeon whats me to be 30.
    It would be great to hear how others deal and what they have experienced.
    Take Care everyone

Closed Thread