It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Knee replacement surgery for active people

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
    nightcall
    (female)

nightcall HB User
    Knee replacement surgery for active people

I would like to hear from people that have experienced knee replacement and how it has affected their active life styles.
    I am an avid horseback rider and into outdoors activities, hiking etc. I have suffered with knee pain for close to 40 yrs. I had a lateral release to my left knee in 1988 that was unsuccessful. My Ortho Dr. started Synvisc injections 2 years ago to help buy me time. I had my last series a few weeks ago and it no longer provides relief from the pain in both knees. I am not a candidate for the scope, so I am facing total knee replacement soon. My concern is I don,t want to give up my activities. I really need some feed back.
    Thank you for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
    Anxiety-stinks
    (female)

Anxiety-stinks HB User
    Re: Knee replacement surgery for active people

My mom had a knee replacement on January 26th.She was back to work(we own a janitorial company) in three weeks.She had an awesome doctor.We have heard alot of negative things about some of the drs. in our area.Make sure and research who you go to.She had a little pain.It was not horrible.She said that getting the knee to bend again is the hardest and you must really work at it.If you can believe it the worst part for her is that now her other leg is hurting because of the way she is walking!Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

My father-in-law had both of his knees replaced (yes, at the same time) back around Christmas. He now wishes he'd done it WAY sooner. He too was worried about how much it would limit him (they are almost full-time RV'ers and are very active). The rehab went (is going) really well and he is very pleased with the results.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
    nightcall
    (female)

nightcall HB User

Thank you for your input to my request. I will keep in mind that the physical recovery will be my biggest challenge. My best to your mother and her health.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
    nightcall
    (female)

nightcall HB User

Your father-inlaw's recovery story has helped remove some of the concerns I have had. I wonder if I'll kick myself for not having it done sooner. Again thank you for your response. Can't tell you all how much it helps to get this feedback.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

wonder if I'll kick myself for not having it done sooner.

Well, maybe you'll be able to with your brand new knee!

Good luck,
    Dustoff

Last edited by dustoffkid; 04-14-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
    livingwithagony
    (female)

livingwithagony HB User

I'm 37 and just had a total knee replacement. Dont do it. Period.

The end.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
    2good2bthru
    (female)

2good2bthru HB User

What problems did you face that made you say never to have it done? I am in the boat to where my quality of life is very limited do to osteoarthritis and I need knee replacements. I am curious as to why a 37 yr old would say that.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
    cjammom
    Inactive
    (female)

cjammom HB User

2g2bt-check out my other post to you..ask about the synvisc or
    eufflexor(sp?) injections..
    Hey there livingwithagony..I am 47..and very active, going for synvisc injections..basically an injection of a lubrication..ever hear of it or did you try it?
    thankx
    cj

Old 05-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
    nightcall
    (female)

nightcall HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by livingwithagony View Post
    I'm 37 and just had a total knee replacement. Dont do it. Period.

The end.
    Dear Agony,
    what happened with your surgery that makes you regret doing it?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
    Karenann12342
    (female)

Karenann12342 HB User

Hi, I had my knee replaced Nov, 27 last year. I am 59. I had no other choice to go that direction. I was putting stress on other parts of my body such as hips and back. When you compensate for pain in a joint if you wait too long you damage other things. The worse part is the physical therapy. You have to be very diligent and not ever give up. It hurts really bad at first when the bending comes in, but I am here to say it gets better. I chose to continue my therapy buy going to the Y and taking water exercises. They are great. I know how you feel it is a tough decision, I wavered for about a year. Good Luck

Old 05-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
    frostbite53
    (male)

frostbite53 HB User

Dear Nightcall:

Sorry to hear about your knee problems. This is my first night on this site. As you know, everyone who has any type of surgery normally has different out comes and different pain levels than everyone else, I can only give you my version of having the surgery. I was 46 when I had my first knee replacement after enduring approximately 15 years of knee problems. My problems were mostly due to just being too hard on my knees. But the straw was when I fell of the roof and shattered my knee. I had every type of scope (12), lateral release, patallectomy, open debriedment, etc., that could be done to my knee and then this. I really didn't have much choice, but I have had 3 TKR's since 2000, the last in March of 2004. The others were replaced due to infections. This last one has given me nothing but trouble since I have had it. It is so painful, that I take 30 mg. of morphine every 3 hours for pain along with 90 mg of Kadian (time released morphine) daily. Even with that, I can only be on my feet for 15 min. max at a time. The thing that I hated worse with the new knee is the range of motion. I could bend it approx. 115 degrees to start with, but the longer you are on it, the more the knee swells up and soon you can hardly bend it. Then the pain starts pounding so bad that all you can do is lie down and ice it. You can't kneel, squat, or anything that a normal person with average daily chores would do. Don't get me wrong, it could always be worse. I found out that me knee is infected again and probably has been since the new one was installed in 2004. Hence, all of the pain and swelling. I have been told to go to Mayo for one more opinion. I know that you can only have a certain number of TKR's before having it fused. From what I have read, that doesn't sound like a very good alternative. I would appreciated someones feedback on that. But from my point of view, if you can still move your knee and can put up with the painkillers, I would keep my natural knee because in my case, the pain is no better and maybe worse. Sorry to give you this bad news, but I'm just being truthful with you. Everyone told me how much better I would feel with the new knee. Not so, and I have heard the same story from a lot of people. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Frostbite

Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
    nightcall
    (female)

nightcall HB User

Dear Frostbite,
    thank you for your input, my father-inlaw would agree with you completely as he has been suffering much the same as you. I did see my Ortho Dr. last week and he has been very honest with me about the surgery. He has told me that it is in my future and only I will know when I have had enough and the time is right.
    At this time I am approaching this with great care. No plans for surgery just yet. Again, thank you for your story.
    I wish you all the best in solving your pain, let me know how it goes.
    Nightcall

Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
    gott_cha
    (male)

gott_cha HB User

hello,..Im 48 and today was told I needed the total replacement.
    I had problems with this knee since 1986,..Ive had a lat. release,..8 various scopes,..lubricant injections,...long time theraphy treatments,..and back in feb. i had a maquett procedure where the shin bone is cut lose from the lower leg,leaving ligs. and tendons intact,...and moved up the leg about 2 inches and bolted in place. The object was to move or change the geometry of the patella to joint angle and reduce knee cap to cartliage pressure. Dang awful surgery!! had to remain imobilized and off the leg,...no pressure or weight for 5 weeks

The last few weeks the original problems had returened with a vengance and a new twist,...it now buckles under me and gives way.
    My ortho says he will now agree to a TKR,..but is still worried that it wont last. He says maybe 15 years if I take care,...My thoughts are this; Ive worked all my life as an industrial electrician,..ive been around asbestos,...caustic chemicals and other carcinogens as a daily routine. I in all likelyhood will not out live a knee replacement and told him so.
    Heres my choice,..live with this awfull pain and have a very limited level of life,..or get the replacement and enjoy what remaining years I have with lifestyle mods. ofcourse.

Any thoughts about this?

Old 06-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
    nightcall
    (female)

nightcall HB User

Dear Gott cha,
    sounds like you're ready for that TKR, as I am sure that your Ortho Dr. has told you. If you are planning on staying active, whether in your career field or other areas, then talk to your Dr. about the different types of artificial joints so you have what best works for your lifestyle. Also don't be so quick to plan for a short life, if you have concerns then talk to your Dr. and get the testing you need. Keep your mind and body healthy.
    Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

Closed Thread