It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Total Hip Replacement 3 months ago

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
    lynnaded
    (female)

lynnaded HB User
    Total Hip Replacement 3 months ago

I'd love to talk to people who've had THR and would like to discuss how they're feeling, what kind of physical activity they can manage, what kind of exercises they are doing. I'm feeling great and walking with no limp. I still feel some soreness in my hip, but nothing like before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
    jchernyb
    (female)

jchernyb HB User
    Re: Total Hip Replacement 3 months ago

I had a THR on right hip on February 19th. One week after coming home I turned my right foot inward. I felt a great big bunch of pain so I immediately turned it back. I felt a click-click sound in my hip area. I thought whatever happened when I turned my foot inwards was ok now. WRONG~! I started going downhill with immediately pain and not being able to bear any weight on the right leg. Everytime my PT came, he made me do exercises to bear weight on the right leg. It got to a point where I could not even lift the leg. When I went for my followup appointment with the doctor, after x-rays were taken, he came into the room and just looked at me and said "what happened". It was indeed dislocated. 3 days later I was back in the hospital where he relocated my hip and I was immediately able to bear weight on the right leg. It was like nite and day. I am now 3 weeks post-op from the relocating. I am able to walk with and without a cane. I still have a great deal of swelling around and below the incision and when I am up alot, my whole right leg does swell. Doctor says this is normal. I sure hope so. I am SO tired of sleeping on my back. I am a tummy sleeper and would LOVE to know when I can start sleeping on my stomach. By the way, all hip recautions had to start over again from March 23rd, the day that he relocated my hip, so I think I still have 3 more weeks of sleeping on my back....bah humbug! My limp is gone and I am now going back to work from my home instead of the office. I hope this helps alot! Would love to hear more stories!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
    lynnaded
    (female)

lynnaded HB User

Hey, jchernyb:

Wow. I lived in fear of dislocating the new joint. I read something else today that makes me think it's much easier to do than I thought! My physical therapist was really good, and she kept reassuring me. Every tiny pain I felt, I was sure I'd done something wrong. But I kept getting stronger, and I never went backwards to the point where the pain got worse and I couldn't even stand on my leg. You may want to "say something" about the PT to whomever employs him/her. He/she should have realized what was happening to you.

Sounds like you're on the road to recovery now, though. Just keep that pillow between your legs and be aware of the position of your leg all the time. I know what you mean about sleeping on your back. I hated it too. Just hated it. Six weeks, no compromise. The doc was adamant. I did what he said. But it's worth it. Now I feel so much better than I did for, what? years? before the surgery. There's some aching still; I feel like I need more exercise. But I don't feel crippled anymore. Or depressed about the pain. Before, I didn't want to go for a walk with my husband or take my daughter to the mall. Now those things are appealing again.

My next goal is to lose some of the extra pounds I put on sitting around feeling sorry for myself. Menopause isn't helping (why doesn't anyone tell us all this all happens at once?). But at least I don't feel helpless anymore.

So hang in there. You'll feel much better soon!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
    lhapp
    (female)

lhapp HB User

I will be be three months post op tomorrow! I had both hips replaced at the same time. I'm doing great! I'm off the crutch and cane and do physical therapy 3x a week. I "wobble" a bit so am really trying to concentrate on my gait. I'm female and also doing the menapause thing. Oy! My doc has cleared me of my restrictions and I see improvement on a weekly basis. Water therapy has helped too. I was terrified of dislocation and am always aware of twisting, etc. I suppose that is something you always keep in the back of your mind. Thanks to the internet I've read lots of horror stories. Good luck!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
    lynnaded
    (female)

lynnaded HB User

Hi, lhapp. Both at once! You must really have been in agony before surgery, and it must have been really hard getting out of bed after!. I had a hard enough time with just one, and I remember how long it took me to walk to the end of the hospital hallway with the walker. Keep concentrating on your gait. I remember when it was all I could do to walk without tilting about 4-5 weeks after surgery, but now I walk so easily. I can't believe I limped for so long. It's fading into a memory. I know what you mean about twisting. I still get twinges once in a while from what seems like such a simple, quick motion. Still terrified of tripping, twisting, etc. But every once in a while, at work, while sitting in a meeting, I treat myself to crossing my legs. I wasn't able to for so long because of the pain and stiffness, and I always felt so prim sitting with feet neatly together when all the other women in the room lounged so elegantly in their chairs with their legs crossed. In the last couple of weeks I've actually been able to get into pantyhose and a skirt, and sit with my legs crossed. I know it's a bad thing to do, but it just feels so great to be able to!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:20 AM   #6
    liverpool sue
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

liverpool sue HB User

when i had my first hip done, i followed the rules to the letter - sleeping on my back for the full 6 weeks. with the second one, i got so fed up with it, and hardly managed to sleep at all, that after about 10 days, i clamped a firm pillow between my knees and rolled on to my side - bliss!! my view is, that as long as you're very careful and roll over, rather than throwing one leg over first, then there's very little chance of dislocation. and a good night's sleep, for me, was worth it.
    i'm 2 and a half, and 3 and a half, years post op. next week i intend to walk at least half way up mount snowdon, in wales, having managed just less than half way about a month ago. wonderful!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
    lynnaded
    (female)

lynnaded HB User

Good to hear from you, liverpool sue. I'm sure I'll have the second hip done at some point, though right now it's enjoying not having to do the work of my other leg! I agree about the sleeping restrictions. I wanted to lie on my side SO badly. I didn't. Next time I know I will. I still feel aware every time I switch positions, and I don't think I'd do anything wrong. Actually, it was probably more dangerous on my back, because I'd life my knees up for relief, then fall back asleep and my legs would fall open. And THAT caused some mighty twinges! I still can't sleep on the operative side because of some discomfort from the pressure on the incision. But I know that will go away. Enjoy the climb!!

Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
    jchernyb
    (female)

jchernyb HB User

I still have puffiness right below the incision on my right leg. I am so scared to sleep on my incision side but you cant sleep on the good leg side, can you? My physician just said I could sleep on my side with pillow between my legs but I am so scared of dislocation again. I am soooo tired of sleeping on my back. I am so looking forward to the day I can sleep on my stomach! I know it will be better than sex! HA~!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
    lynnaded
    (female)

lynnaded HB User

jchernyb: Don't worry about sleeping on your "good leg" side. You won't do anything bad. Just use the pillow. Your body will let you know if it's not there. If you're like me, you'll be somewhat conscious of changing position all night, and your body will take care of itself. When you're on your back, keep the pillow under your knee on the surgical leg side. I find that much more comfortable than just lying flat on my back. It's interesting what you say about sleeping on your stomache. That used to be my favorite position. But now it seems as if I get too much aching in my neck. Every once in a while, though, I do roll onto my stomach. You'll get there too. Try letting your toes drop down over the end of the mattress. That's always been the best for me.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:07 AM   #10
    jchernyb
    (female)

jchernyb HB User

I am going to give the pillow under my knee a try...here is it, in the middle of the nite, cant sleep because of lying on that back. Will let you know!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #11
    lynnaded
    (female)

lynnaded HB User

I actually made a whole pillow palace for myself when I was on my back. One between the legs, one under surgical leg (elevating my calf), and one outside the leg because I was afraid of turning too far out. And I elevated my head and shoulders a little too. When I woke up and just couldn't STAND it anymore, I found that if I just swung me legs over the side of the bed and sat up for a minute or two, I could lie back down and go back to sleep. You'll make it! I made it through without even taking Ambien, which I've used for years and which I haven't taken at all since the surgery in January.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #12
    liverpool sue
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

liverpool sue HB User

before i had either of my hips done, i read somewhere that a good idea for changing position while still having to lie on your back, is to have about 4 or 5 pillows under your head. when you need a change of position just chuck out a few pillows, or add a few in. it really did help me to do this. the pillows would be cool, and the lying propped up or almost flat seemed to do the job.
    something else i found with having to sleep on my back was that the nerves in one of my heels got inflamed with the constant pressure, and became very tender, so i used to put a small cushion under my ankle, just enough to keep the heel from being constantly in contact with the bed.
    these are minor discomforts really, and worth going through for the end result - being able to walk properly again!! good luck.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 AM   #13
    Issyoz
    (female)

Issyoz HB User

Hi, had to laugh at your crossing of legs. Must admit I have done it a few times lately, how good does it feel? Had my op Nov 06, feel great , but guilty when the legs cross!! Issyoz

Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 AM   #14
    chels49
    (female)

chels49 HB User

I was really glad to find this forum as I feel pretty alone having had my hip replaced 4 months ago. Although I know other people who have had hips done I do not know anyone well enough to talk to about it. I am a 57 year old female in Ontario, Canada.
    I was never told I had to sleep on my back for 6 months! I was sold a foam wedge at my pre-op screening that velcroed around the legs at the time of my surgery and prevents any bad movement or crossing of the legs while sleeping. However it was very uncomfortable so I just sleep with a pillow between my knees on my side and am comfortable sleeping on the new hip side.
    My complaint is that I have a leg length discrepancy now,aggravated by a previous spinal scoliosis and am having pain in my back, sometimes knees and some muscle discomfort when I walk in my new hip area in the groin and thigh. I am getting tired of people asking me if I have a "gimpy leg"! From reading on line this all seems to be classic symptoms of the too long leg causing my posture to be totally out of kilter. Im am going to see a chiropractor in a week who does orthotics for an assessment.
    I have worked hard to get my fittness back and swim lengths in a pool 3 times a week and do weight exercises at a gym. I always feel better when I do this. I feel like a sleek seal in the water and a beached whale on land.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:09 AM   #15
    breeze530
    (female)

breeze530 HB User

I had THR April 19th. I guess I was really lucky because I don't have all the precautions that most of you had. Mine is cobalt chromium, no cement, minimum incision, muscle-sparing, put in from the back. The implant is curved more like the natural body.
    I'm not supposed to cross my legs or twist, but that's about it. I could put total weight on it the 2nd day with a walker, no crutches.
    The problems I've had are mostly with swelling of both legs, sciatica, & trouble with my back. I had a L1-L5 fusion in 2002 that started leaning toward the right after just a few mos. I was seeing a new surgeon & was preparing for a new major fusion to fix this when my hip gave out. I had gravely pain my hip & pain all the way down to my foot. Cortisone shots in my hip took all the pain away. I did need the THR because the hip doc said it was much worse than on x-ray & practically fell apart when he took it out. But I'm still having some nerve pain down to my feet, but not nearly as bad. I also am shorter now on the right (surgery side) & just got measured for a 1/2" lift outside my shoe.
    I'm really glad to find this forum & see that people are way past me & doing much better.

Closed Thread