It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Knee'd advice on knee & leg pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User
    Knee'd advice on knee & leg pain

HI,
    I've had problems with both knee's for a couple weeks now with leg swelling down to my ankle, mostly the left one, it feels and looks like fluid on my knee's, Last week I went to Wal-Mart after work (Housekeeper) and got a cart, but only a couple steps and I could no longer use the left leg as the knee pain was so severe, I was hobling on my right leg (which hurt too, but not as badly), all I could think of was "How am I going to get back to the car!" I tried to tip-toe, but no such luck, I couldn't even step down on my toes due to the severe pain the only thing holding me up was the shopping cart . after that night of sleep, I woke up and seemed fine except for dull pain & swelling, so I went to work. Since that day my knees are both swollen and in constant pain. My boss is getting highly upset and threatened to write me up if I called in on a weekend. Although she knows about my knees and you can clearly see my left leg from the knee to the ankle is larger than the right one.

Friday I had my Ortho check it out and of course I had to see the PA, my knee's appear fine except a certain area he pushed on, and stated something about possible (Medial?), whatever that is. So I had an MRI. I don't have the results back yet, but I am confused. I did not injure it, yet I walk like I am 80, it remains swollen and feels like fluid, and the pain is also in the shin area, and goes down to my foot.

At work yesterday we had a special tour and I had to be on my feet all day, no breaks at all, taking care of our Bohemian Visitors. I had to finally sit on the curb of the parking lot for a minute, and as soon as I sat down, my Supervisor saw me and yelled, so I flat told her, I HAD to sit down for a minute. I pulled up my pants leg to look at my knee and I could not find my kneecap from the swelling, and it swelled all the way to my ankle again, I had on those socks that are thin little anklets and the swelling was pushing the socks outwards and left rings around my ankle.

I am off work today and today only, I haven't done ANYTHING, but the pain is the same as if I were at work. I had a cortisone Injection 2 weeks ago and it made things worse. Now I am taking 7.5 of Lortab every 4 hours and 10mg of Flexeril 3 times a day, that I have for my back pain ( a prior fusion giving me fits now), and this stuff is not even fazing the pain, heat and elevation is not taking down the swelling, Ice is not helping either. everyone keeps telling me my left leg is bigger than the right ( I knew that!) and it is pale in color compared to the right one.

Could I have torn something? The PA did all the leg twisting stuff and nothing! but he could not push on the side joint area, When he tried I actually covered my mouth & screamed in pain and fell off the table landing on the right leg. So he said I have to see the Actual Ortho Doctor/Surgeon.
    Thanks, StarDust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User
    Re: Knee'd advice on knee & leg pain

Hi,
    I know I didn't get any responses, but thought I'de let you know what the MRi showed.

I went and got the MRI results on my knee yesterday, and he asked me when I hurt it, I told him I didn't! Over & Over again! He showed me the MRI films and my entire knee cap and inside of my knee is all white & it should be black on film. He said the knee cap and the side of the knee is badly contusioned? As if someone beat me with a golf club.

And there is fluid on the knee as well.

He asked me to stop in a couple times a week after work for Physical Therapy and if it gets better ok, if not, then he will have to look in there with a scope and see what is going on.

He said my job is causing my knees and back to be worse, and actually tearing them up.

He has no idea why it is swollen or swelling down to my ankle either, he said more than likely he will have to scope it anyway and take a look at what is going on in there.

Can anyone tell me what a scope will be like? I was told it is in the office in thier Surgery Suite, and then sent home. But how long would I be off work and will it make things worse? What about Pain? Anything would help!

Many Thanks in Advance,
    StarDust

Old 05-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

The MRI showed the inflamation or swelling. You could see that with the naked eye.

But was there any damage to the knee joint to cause the swelling? Was there any tearing of anything? Was there any bone damage?

How does more exercise reduce the damage or inflamation?

I have the asme problems & all they want to do is surgery to look around.

I thought that the MRI & ultra sound was to do the looking aronnd for the cause.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

A basic knee arhroscopy is a very simple procedure. I had one last Friday and am now not limping at all. My problem was cartilage in the joint and swelling due to a meniscal cyst. If you believe it may be work related have you considered Workers' Comp?

Old 05-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

All I know is he said the white area's were contusions? On the kneecap & side of the knee as well. Nothing should of showed up that white, there was TOO MUCH white! I am guessing he was talking about the bones being bruised or something to that affect. What I saw when I looked at the films were LARGE area's of white and very little dark area's.

He said the Meniscus was not torn (because he didn't see a growth on the film) which I guess is a dead give away that the Meniscus IS torn.

A person at work said that they only do the scopes if they plan on taking something out or trimming something. I really don't know.

What does the inflammation & swelling look like on the films?

Since I didn't have any accident to cause this, he thinks the Physical Therapy will strengthen the muscles around the knee. Personally I think he's going to scope it anyway and he wants the muscles around the knee in good shape first. ( I may be crazy, but I'm NOT stupid!!)

Thier Physical Therapy never called me today, so I called them and they said unless I can go by thier times and dates, then to forget it. I can't do what they want the times that they want or I would miss most of my work and get fired! So I called and left a message that I am doing 30 minutes of knee & Back strengthening at home instead, and I will let them know how it goes.

After night one, it's very painful!!
    StarDust

Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Could the Meniscus be torn without them seeing it on the MRI? How much work would I lose?
    I have done this work for 29 years, it's not like just one place is the cause of it.
    Can you tell me how long the procedure is? and is it normally outpatient? In office, kinda stuff?
    Oh, did I mention that my knee has a severe burning feeling all the time?
    And info on this?
    Thanks, StarDust

Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi!
    well, I've been doing the knee strengthening excersizes for 4 days now and continue to work, but something is wrong, as I stated in my first post, that same leg is swollen as well. Now it is very tight and 2X the size of the other one, and a grayish color. it is really hard to walk on and is very painful, My knee Doctor doesn't work on the legs, could the 2 problems be related? They began at the same time.
    Thanks StarDust

Old 06-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
    roses4evver
    (female)

roses4evver HB User

A scope can be very useful and yes they can find with a scope sometimes what a MRI won't find sometimes. A person is usually off work 2-4 wks and sometimes longer depending how bad the knee joint is. I've had 2 scopes done on my knee in the last year. One to repair tears & cut away all loose meniscus & debri & the other to scrape the joint from Osteo. Now I'm preparing for a TKR in 2 wks. I just wish I could get them both done at once.

Yes stardust, you could have two different problems going on at once. You need to see your family Dr for your leg swelling and maybe get your heart checked.

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Old 06-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #9
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi,
    Yes, I was thinking of working as long as I can stand it, then going ahead with the scope, whatever is wrong with my knee goes behind the knee and down the leg, The Doctor thinks the leg is from my spine (2 years post-op lumbar spinal fusion), But I have never heard of it causing it to swell. And I do know the difference between regular pain & Sciatic Pain.

I thought the same thing you did. Checking with a heart doctor. 3 times in 2 weeks I have been woke up with a aching jaw, and shoulder & upper back pain. But I am also under alot of stress here at home. with a paralyzed husband who seems to be mentally going back to vietnam, he is 11 yrs older than I am, also a 22 yr old who refuses to move out- she also has a 4 year old, so I just deal with it all.

ANYWAY-Sorry about that! What I was getting at, was when I let them do the scope I have no help here at home. So is it outpatient in the office kinda stuff? And will I be able to do things myself? (like walk on it).

Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks Stardust

Old 06-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
    paranormal2
    (male)

paranormal2 HB User

hi stardust, im having similar problems, I woke up one morning and out of nowhere my knee was frozen, and super painful...here's what jumped out abuot your post... could this be from a disc problem in your back ? the night before my knee problem, i did some sit-ups- situps always inflame my heriniated disc. a few years ago, i had sciatica, and did 6 months of p.t for it, as it improved, the pain moved from my right leg/buttocks to the back of my leg and knee. Right now, my knee pain seems more behind the knee than under the cap, so I just wonder if nerve damage from a herniated disc would cause this ? good luck.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

I was wondering the same thing. But one thing confuses me. If it's my spine doing all this, then why is the knee MRI showing up all white? They said they have never seen so much white before, and think it is a severe contusion, as if someone beat me with a golf club. yet I have never even bumped it.

I have also noticed when I do situps my back & legs ALL act up the next day and the skin on my legs burn. It keeps me up all night. I wish I knew how to put out the flames, nothing is worse than the skin on my legs burning.

Do your's burn as well?

StarDust

Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
    paranormal2
    (male)

paranormal2 HB User

nope, no burning, an i actually do crunches, using my elbows to hold some of my weight, but i guess even that is too much. if your problem has anything to do with sciatic nerve, try doing hamstring stretches--the one where you lay on your back and use a towel hooked under your foot to hold it stright--- this always makes mine hurt less, but it sounds like you have much worse going on than me. hope you gets some answers.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

I do the same thing, only I use exersize bands. Then yesterday I got a Certified letter from my Spine surgeon, it says that he doesn't think there is anything else he can medically do for me, and now I have a new pain management doctor, to find a new surgeon ASAP. I don't understand that one. If I need to find another Surgeon ASAP, then why is he dropping me? The only thing I can think of, is the ER keeps sending me back to him and there is technically nothing Surgical he can do for me.
    But he told me awhile back that the L4 will go out as well pretty soon and he would be there to help me. Now he won't be.
    HOW CONFUSING???
    StarDust

Old 06-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
    YuliaNichya
    (female)

YuliaNichya HB User

I am sorry to hear about all of your misfortunes. i will pray that you get better. i see you have back trouble. Yes, that may be only SOME of your knee pain, but definately NOT all of it. There must be a reason why the MRI is showing up alot of WHITE areas. Yes it is possible to have a meniscus tear and the MRI WILL Miss it. and as for ligaments, was the OS be able to ssee the ligaments clearly? If not, then the Arthroscopy may be the best way to find out EXACTLY what is Wrong nad it may be able to be fixed right then and there. The oS pulled on your leg in different directions? Sometimes if you have alot of swellnig like that ,the DR. may get a false reading that the leg is stable. Does your knee ever go out on you? Do you have any pain on the Medial (inner) side of your knee? Two possible cause for That may be a meniscus tear or an Medial collateral ligament sprain. Good luck. Let me know how everything is.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #15
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

This is the first time, ever, That the Dotor did not pull on my leg, maybe because he could see the problem, the MRI only showed all the white area and not much of anything else, However i do recall him saying something about the "medial"? area being very tender. I looked up a few articles online and found that an MRI doesn't always show a torn Meniscus (sp?). So I am betting they will find something during the scope. I have severe arthritis in my family and mostly a brother 2 years older than me who is crippled up with it. I am thinking possibly some arthritis in there as well. But the longer I work/walk, the worse it gets.
    I left a message with the doctor and ask him if he can wait a couple weeks, due to the fact I need a couple paychecks since I don't know how long I will be off work. So far nobody on here has told me how long it takes, is it outpatient/office kinda stuff and how long I might be off work.
    StarDust

Closed Thread