It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Knee injury - Feeling alone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
    Kim913
    (female)

Kim913 HB User
    Knee injury - Feeling alone

Last week my knee twisted from doing nothing and I fell. I felt all sorts of pain (like a dislocation and stretching the ligaments) and the next day my knee was swollen and painful beyond believe. I actually dislocate my knee all the time (not just the knee cap, but the two leg bones behind the knee) but it is always fine the next day. I went to Urgent Care where they gave me an immobilizer, crutches and ibuprofen and told me to come back in a week if I don't get better. My xrays were negative for breaks and dislocations. All week I couldn't decide if I am getting better or not. I am a little better I have the feeling that I have some big problems. I can bend it a little bit now but it is still stiff like the tendons are going to snap. I couldn't put ANY weight on it but now I can limp if I put most of the weight on my other leg and crutches. My pain went from a numbing stiffness to a sharp pain (as of 2 days ago.) It is still "swollen" but I am starting to think that I have fluid on my knee. Anyway I went back to urgent care like they told me to and 2 hours and a copay later all they told me was to go see my PCP. They should have told me that last week! An MRI is in order as soon as I see my PCP.

I can't decide what I think about this. How long does it take to heal something minor?? Should I assume it's something major after all this time? Should I be concerned after only a week? I know you all aren't doctors but do you have any experience or opinions of what I may be up against? It worries me to hear stories about people having pain here and there but can still move and run and yet they need surgery....meanwhile I can't even walk. Something is probably torn? Urgent care didn't have any answers for me what-so-ever so I feel a little in the dark. Any opinions are appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
    tazvaz
    (male)

tazvaz HB User
    Re: Knee injury - Feeling alone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kim913 View Post
    Last week my knee twisted from doing nothing and I fell. I felt all sorts of pain (like a dislocation and stretching the ligaments) and the next day my knee was swollen and painful beyond believe. I actually dislocate my knee all the time (not just the knee cap, but the two leg bones behind the knee) but it is always fine the next day. I went to Urgent Care where they gave me an immobilizer, crutches and ibuprofen and told me to come back in a week if I don't get better. My xrays were negative for breaks and dislocations. All week I couldn't decide if I am getting better or not. I am a little better I have the feeling that I have some big problems. I can bend it a little bit now but it is still stiff like the tendons are going to snap. I couldn't put ANY weight on it but now I can limp if I put most of the weight on my other leg and crutches. My pain went from a numbing stiffness to a sharp pain (as of 2 days ago.) It is still "swollen" but I am starting to think that I have fluid on my knee. Anyway I went back to urgent care like they told me to and 2 hours and a copay later all they told me was to go see my PCP. They should have told me that last week! An MRI is in order as soon as I see my PCP.

I can't decide what I think about this. How long does it take to heal something minor?? Should I assume it's something major after all this time? Should I be concerned after only a week? I know you all aren't doctors but do you have any experience or opinions of what I may be up against? It worries me to hear stories about people having pain here and there but can still move and run and yet they need surgery....meanwhile I can't even walk. Something is probably torn? Urgent care didn't have any answers for me what-so-ever so I feel a little in the dark. Any opinions are appreciated!
    I have a histroy of knee dislocations, although in my case I think it is just the patella (although I can't be sure about that), and my knee swelled too. I always let it go down by itself.

However, 9 days ago it swelled up (wiuthout any dislocation) to an unprecedented degree, and I am - without taking NSAIDs - still waiting for it to go down to a normal level. My doctor told me that if I didn't take a NSAID I would be looking at 2-3 weeks for it to go down.

I think one has to respect ones body here, and let it do what it feels up to doing. The best approach is to listen to our own bodies which are, after all, intelligent beings and if they give you a signal of pain, it is to warn you that something should not be done. On the other hand, if you can walk on after a while and gradually return to normal activity, then I think this is the best route to take without "props" which - ultimately - mask the body's messages.

Closed Thread