It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Microfracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
    satchu
    (female)

satchu HB User
    Microfracture

Was curious to hear if anyone has had microfracture of their knee(s) and are they pleased with the results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
    ra17
    (male)

ra17 HB User
    Re: Microfracture

I had microfracture done on my left knee due to wearing out the cartilage on my femur.

My knee pain is definitely better than before but still hurts a lot. I've heard that the results from microfracture are temporary.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
    gib
    (male)

gib HB User

What results are you expecting? I didn't know to expect results at all? Microfracturing is just to get blood up to the surface of the bone cartilage to promote healing.

I tore the minicus and banged up the femur cartilage in my knee two years ago. They trimmed the minicus, scraped the femur smooth and microfractured the scraped femur area to promote blood flow to the surface. It's still healing at around 95% and hurts a little when I work it at the gym.

Please enlighten me as to the expectations of just a microfracturing procedure.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
    hurtie0607
    (female)

hurtie0607 HB User

Hi to All,
    I had a microfx of the patella about 4yrs ago. I had torn my meniscus. When the surgeon saw how bad my patella was he went ahead and did the above procedure too. Simply put a microfx works by actually (micro fx ) the bone to make a good bleed. Stem cells are produced from the fx. They are not like your original stem cells, but work well - for the most part. However the cartilage they produce is not the same. I had excellent relief, until this year. I had to have back surgery because of a herniated disc. I could hardly use my left leg. This was the one with the microfx. I was told not to do the blt's ( bending lifting twisting ). So my knees took the brunt of my weight because I could not bend to pick up things just kind of stoop. Anyway, I am much to active for the state of my patella, and now it is starting to hurt again. I wear a soft sleeve over my knee cap to prevent the patella from moving so much, and to give more support.

So, yet microfx do work and can work wonders. It can put off knee surgery for possibly 10 years. I am only talking about the patella. I am fortunate in that the rest of my knee is fine, well almost.
    Hope this helps.
    Peace and Health - Kay

Closed Thread