HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Knee & Hip Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/)
-   -   Considering Knee Replacement (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/550012-considering-knee-replacement.html)

keil 11-04-2007 11:07 AM

Considering Knee Replacement

Hi,
I am considering total knee replacement. 2 years ago I had a total hip replacement on my left side.
The knee replacement is the right knee.
I know there is pain and rehab involved and understand the knee replacement is worse?!?! (I am 57 about 180 lbs.)
My BIG question is...
What is the range of motion of a "fake" knee as apposed to a "natural" knee.
Are they any permenant restrictions?
I know I need the replacement but am trying to get as much info as possible before.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Ken

Polaraven60 01-25-2012 05:53 PM

Re: Considering Knee Replacement

I had a total knee 15 mos. ago and couldn't be happier. The pain is bad for the first 2-3 wks, so just know you'll be down for awhile and make sure someone is on hand to help out for the first week. I now have total flexion and virtually full range of motion in the new knee, and I walk my (very engetic) dog in the Alaskan snow for over an hour a day with zero pain. Knee replacement was the best medical decision I've ever made, and as soon as Medicare kicks in, I'm having the other one done.

jennybyc 01-26-2012 10:28 AM

Range of motion depends on the knee and what you have done. If they "cap" your kneecap. you are not supposed to kneel as it could loosen the kneecap component. My knees only go to 125* but the newer knees go to 135* so you can squat...I can go just so far. Ask your doc what kind of knee, the kneecap question and what your restrictions are...it goes by type of knee and what they do to the kneecap.

And yes it hurts more than a hip....a lot more.

But I had both knees replaced 13 years ago next Wednesday. Never regretted it. Could easily stand for 12 hours at work and walk 5 miles+.

Looking forward to getting a better bending knee when I get my first set of revisions.

Jenny

SpineAZ 01-26-2012 08:54 PM

Mine can go to 135 degrees and right now I'm about 125-130. TKR are hard and the rehab can be difficult (physically and mentally as it takes a strong will to get through it). I had my TKR, at age 45, in September 2011. Had I been responding to your question in October I'd have wanted to tell you not to do it. Now, 4 months out, I am SO glad I did it. Are you very athletic? It's harder on the new knee to do golf, tennis, etc. I'm not a runner, nor a golfer, nor a tennis player (anymore) so I have every chance of having this knee last for 20+ years.

nana b 01-26-2012 09:24 PM

how old are you? I am needing tkr but I am 53 yrs old and I keep children in my home, including my grandchildren. I just don't have much time to take off. Am I only in pain for 2-3 weeks? how soon after surgery did you walk? Did the hospital use an ice machine and constant range of motion machine while you were there? How many weeks did you have to go to therapy??

Plus also this childcare is my income so I just don't know if I can afford to do it. but tired of the pain.
thanks

SpineAZ 01-26-2012 09:56 PM

I'm 45, had a history of many surgeries on the knee. I was in the hospital 5 days and should have taken my doctors offer for a few days in rehab. I was just beginning to feel a bit better at 6 wk post op. Had I been working I'd have needed 6-12 week off. BUT on another thread here is the story of a man in his 60's posted by his daughter, he is 3-4 wk post op and feeling great. He was very physically active pre surgery and has worked hard at PT and getting moving as quickly as he can. So it can be unpredictable.

nana b 01-27-2012 08:37 PM

Did you have to have a blood transfusion?? Was your pain controllable with pain medicine? I have so many questions. Did you have one of those movement machines? or ice machines? I am scared. And the thought of antiobotics every time I have anything done scares me too. I just am so tired of the knee pain!!

SpineAZ 01-27-2012 09:34 PM

I did not need a blood transfusion. I was sent home with a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine and a cooling machine (mine was a newer type that ran on an alcohol water solution and not ice).

There's no getting away from pain BUT it was a different kind of pain. After 3-4 days the actual knee joint which used to hurt felt different, the software tissues around the knee hurt and we're swollen but the bone-on-bone pain in the knee was gone! And for me I had severe knee cap (patellar) arthritis so they put a plastic cap on the back of my kneecap so that pain was GONE!

The more aggressive you are in rehab, and ice on the knee when needed, and use of medications it makes it bearable after a few weeks.

TeresaHip 01-28-2012 02:03 PM

I had mine done in February 2010..I guess I am one of the I wouldn't do it cases.. It hurts worse now then before I had it done. I think mine has more to do with why I had to have it. I had a severe auto accident in 09 and crushed my tib/fib in the right leg. Couldn't walk with full weight for almost a year. I kept saying my lt one hurt to all thru the process of healing. Finally doctor done extensive testing and realized I had injured it as well. Tore the MCl and ACL and shredded the cushion between the knee joint. So I had to have a tkr done.

I do concur with definately do your PT even though its painful sometimes. I can atleast walk a bit today because I kept it up.

Good luck!

keil 01-29-2012 11:31 AM

Sorry I didn't get back you the board but I did have the TKR in 2009, all went well, I went to a rehab place for 2 weeks directly from the hospital (in total I was in the hospital for 1 1/2 week and the rehab 2 weeks) then did out patient therapy for 1 year. I am happy with the range of motion, at 61 I am not playing sports or running so a slower life is ok with me.
Ken

jsg7 02-26-2012 05:19 PM

I put my TKR off for 15 years -- scared to death --- finally had it done on 1/17/2012. Mine was a little more complicated than most, I think, because I had had knee surgery on that same knee decades ago. The surgeon told me that the pain wouldn't be bone pain but muscle pain and he was almost right -- the first couple of days after surgery I had both -- horrible, worse than I even imagined. I stayed in the hospital 3 days and in an in-patient rehab for 10 days. I could walk with a walker (badly) before I left the hospital and could go to the bathroom myself before I left rehab. When I walk, the PT says she can't tell which one is the leg that was operated on, but it feels to me like I limp. Still very sore but now Advil & Tylenol makes it tolerable; still do exercises religiously. I had convinced myself that I would be the one to walk out of the hospital on my own --- not!! I was in very bad physical shape and wish I had gone to a gym or trainer even just a little before surgery. I see the surgeon tomorrow and will find out when my other knee will be replaced. Still scared to death!! I don't know how anyone can do this surgery without taking time off from work. You can't even get out of bed the first several weeks, let alone drive or run after children!! I keep thinking that there's gotta be a better way to do this!!! Thanks all -- I have learned so much from reading your posts!

SpineAZ 02-26-2012 05:24 PM

The knee is had a TKR on had has 10 prior surgeries on it including 3 ACL repairs. It does make the physical therapy much harder and the entire rehab process more grueling. Push had an eventually you'll finally starting feeling back to normal.

jsg7 02-26-2012 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=SpineAZ;4935048]The knee is had a TKR on had has 10 prior surgeries on it including 3 ACL repairs. It does make the physical therapy much harder and the entire rehab process more grueling. Push had an eventually you'll finally starting feeling back to normal.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your post --- I have no idea whether I'm normal in my recovery or not! I have discovered that I must be pretty competitive! It's good to know that the prior surgery has an impact on rehab. I can bend my knee (with an effort) to 110 degrees, which is more than I can do on my other knee, but I know that I should be able to bend it to at least 120. I am continuing to push. Some days (most days actually), I wish I could just have a day off -- you know, from pain, aches, PT, etc. Even with a job you get some time off!!:jester:

suecoffee 11-11-2012 03:23 AM

Hi I am curious about your MCL & ACL tear with a TKR. I in the past had an MCL & ACL reconstruction and am considering a TKR at age 46. Were your ligaments strong enough to support a regular TKR hardware or did you have to have a hinged knee(constraint knee). Your help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am considering doing a replacement and am hoping not to have to get a hinged knee because of the possibility of a weak MCL. Any info would help greatly. How are you doing today?

Thanks

evj 11-13-2012 08:27 PM

I am 70 and had my left knee replaced 3 years ago. 115 degrees is needed to go up and down stairs. I got to 130 and am now about 125 and i never feel like i lack range of motion. I ski black runs in colorado, play tennis, hike, ride a bike, golf and never have a problem---but rehab was difficult and extentsive. It bothered me that less athletic people were progressing a lot faster. I kept at it and now couldn't be happier.
evj:)