It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Fourth Meniscus Tear - Anyone Else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
    fedup8
    (female)

fedup8 HB User
    Question Fourth Meniscus Tear - Anyone Else?

Hello all.
    I am new to the boards, am looking for some (ANY) type of help, please!
    First, I've had 3 surgeries to repair lateral meniscus, my last one being
    7-11-07.

Just had my fourth MRI this past Monday, I picked up the report myself alittle while ago. Very confusing to me, cannot get in touch with my dr as of yet. Here is what the report states:

"Patient has had prior lateral meniscal surgery. Compared to the 5-5-07 MRI exam, there again noted is a horizontal linear area of increased signal extedning through the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus as well as the body of the lateral meniscus and extending to the superior free meniscal surface. There also is truncation and partial absence of the superior strut of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus as compared to the prior exam. Some of these findings are due to prior miniscal surgery and partial meniscectomy. Some suggest residual meniscal tear on the lateral sie without obvious change in the anterior horn compared to the prior exam.
    The medial meniscus is normal in contour. The cruciate ligaments and collateral ligaments and patellar tendon and distal quadriceps tendon are intact. The bone marrow signal intensity appears normal. No significant joint effusion is seen.
    ARTHROGRAM may be of benefit

I dont know where to turn, HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD FOUR TEARS?? I'VE YET TO FIND ANYONE. WHAT do I do?
    I also have alot of arthritis, my last orthopedic visit, he did an xray, and wants to start the therapy of synvisc, of course this was all said BEFORE MRI.

and oh yea....i'm ONLY 42 yrs. old!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
    aceman626
    (male)

aceman626 HB User
    Re: Fourth Meniscus Tear - Anyone Else?

hey there, sorry for your pain, i feel you. What are the symptoms of meniscus tear? I think i might have the same since I have a sharp pain in my knee everytime I put weight on it or apply pressure, and there's a loud crackling sound when i bend it.

Last edited by aceman626; 01-24-2008 at 12:45 AM.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
    fedup8
    (female)

fedup8 HB User

Aceman....If you havent been to your Dr yet, that would be your first step, let them determine whats going on..good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
    tonyg777
    (male)

tonyg777 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Fourth Meniscus Tear - Anyone Else?

Hello,

I had three tears in one year. I have another tear but have not had it repaired. I had the Synvisc injections. Total waste of time and money. I have tried physical therapy, but that just made things worse. All of my tears have been on my left knee. My sister-in-law had one tear and said that the pain was worse to her than childbirth. Anyway, I have been going to pain management and they put me on Methadone, five tablets a day. I also put Theragisic cream on my left knee. Then there is degenerative arthritis of the spine, neck and knees. Are you on the heavy side? I am and that does not help matters. I have gone to three different doctors and basically they all say the same thing at this point. Total knee replacement. Things are so bad that I had to go on disability. I am 56 but started having knee pain around 10 years ago. Being a guy, I just figured that it was the start of aging. The pain became so unbearable, I finally went to see a doctor. That is where my first of 3 knee surgeries in one year started. It is torn for the fourth time and I dread the thought of surgery again. The second surgery, I was still awake when they started the operation. Luckily, i went to sleep. I warned the anesthesiologist that if it happened again that I would be looking him up.

--

Tony,

Peace,

People may forget what you said,

People may forget what you did,

But people will always remember how you
    made them feel.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-24-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: not allowed to post your personal webpage - please read our rules

Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
    fedup8
    (female)

fedup8 HB User

You have no idea how happy I am to know that someone else out there has had 4 tears, dont get me wrong, I'm sorry you are going through this, but its good to know there are others. I too, cannot imagine another frickin surgery for this, its ridiculous!! All my tears are in my right knee, I'm maybe 10 lbs overweight, i dont think that has to do with it for me. I am still waiting for my insurance co to authorize the synvisc and i was told it only works in 60% of the people. I'm willing to try anything at this point, I just wanna know WHAT TO DO!!!! Is methadone working for you? Haha. I couldnt even get my Dr to give me vicodin. I will hopefully talk to my Dr today and see what the game plan is. I am also definetely going for a 2nd opinion, maybe 3, maybe 10?!! haha.
    Thanks TONY!!!! Good luck to you.

Closed Thread