It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Learning to walk after a hip fracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
    Barfb1006
    (female)

Barfb1006 HB User
    Learning to walk after a hip fracture

I am a 49 year old female and fractured my hip on Dec. 21, 07 falling on black ice. The surgery was done using a 6 inche titanium rod inserted into the femur bone and three screws. I am going through physical therapy now. I am worried about walking. It is so frustating. I cannot walk without a horrible limp and my legs get so tired. I am using a crutch most of the time but my physical therapist says I can use a cane. Am I rushing things? Will this get better does anyone know? I am normally a very active person. I enjoy working out, bike riding and boating. I am so worried and depressed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
    libloom
    Veteran
    (female)

libloom HB User
    Re: Learning to walk after a hip fracture

Ouch! So sorry to hear about your fracture! I've had two total hip replacements, but imagine a fracture with the hardware you described is a little bit more complicated recovery-wise. Replacements are pretty much straightforward.......

Things will get better, I'm sure. You're still early in the healing process and will require lots of PT. Ask specificaly for exercises to improve your gait (for the limp).

Be patient...(I know, easy to say), and much good luck,
    Linda

Closed Thread