It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Does this sound like a torn knee cartliage??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
    angelwithwings
    (female)

angelwithwings HB User
    Does this sound like a torn knee cartliage??

Hi,
    For 3 weeks now i've experienced the following symptoms in my knee; constant 'locking'
    Severe pain
    swelling
    inability to walk,

Im 36yrs old. I had a good syringe full of fluid drained, and tests for gout & bacterial infection was neg. I've had 9!! blood tests done for kidney function, arthiritic diseases etc and all my results came back as being negative. The only thing my Doctor hasn't asked me about or suggested was a torn carliage?! I was told to wait a month and if things are still no better I would be refered. That's way too long to wait! Im not prepared to wait another month! I've been given Naproxen and pain killers and they're just not workng. In the meantime I can barely walk. Can anyone else prehaps give me any ideas as to what this might be? I dont normally experience bone/joint problems.
    Thank you.

Last edited by angelwithwings; 03-27-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
    Sage48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
    Re: Does this sound like a torn knee cartliage??

I fell on 2/22...and I have a lot of the same problems you do...I had an MRI last night...and will have to wait to hear from my family Dr. to see what is up with the knee..

Have you tried ice?? That helps sometimes...relieves some of the swelling.

Sage

Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
    gib
    (male)

gib HB User

So what happened then, surely you did something specific to your knee?

Sorry to make this comment, but everyone in the U.S. who advocates government run health care or a 'Single payer system' should make note of these posts from the U.K. and Canada and pay attention to the run-around these folks get.

The 'locking' symptom is common for when you get a flap of torn miniscus and it flips over on top of itself. I'll guess when you say 'locks' you're saying that you can't extend/straighten your knee forward all the way??? H*ll, I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure you've got a torn miniscus.

Yes, I have torn my miniscus, almost three years ago and I did have surgery on it. The doctors might play a little waiting game with you, as surgery should be the last resort. If they are very aggressive in their care for you or if your injury is serious (agonizing pain), they'll usually do a MRI immediately. My injury was moderate and my Ortho stated that MRI's can sometimes raise more questions than they answer, so he preferred to not do an MRI at the time and to wait a bit to see how I progressed. He said it would either get better or I'd be back to see him. I waited about two weeks before I told him to fix it. But, I was in the drivers seat, I didn't have to wait on him, when I decided to have it fixed, I was in on his next surgery date.

If you've had your knee drained, then I assume it's been swollen. Nine blood tests, right, that's laughable! If your doctor is a general practioner and you haven't seen an Orthopedic surgeon yet, well I don't know what to say other than I'd be madder than h*ll and I'd find another doctor that will get you the care or referral that you obviously need.

I had arthroscopic surgery done on mine and all I can say is, have no fear of this kind of surgery. They have it down to an art at this point. Mine was done on an outpatient basis, I was in and out of the hospital in less than 4 hours, on the operating table less than 30 minutes, piece of cake! Get the help you need!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
    angelwithwings
    (female)

angelwithwings HB User

You're quite right Gib, the healthcare in the UK is an absolute shambles!! Of course 'money talks' and if I were wealthy then I would get the care I needed straight away! We do pay 'National Insurance' through our pay slips every month and this goes into a big pot for EVERYONE.

Onto my ailment. No, I didn't injure my knee. All I did was stand up from my desk at work and thats when my knee started locking and the pain started. I have been back to see my GP today, I had the knee drained again and a Cortisone injection. Let me tell ya, NEVER AGAIN!! I have never ever experienced such excrutiating pain in my life! I was begging the Doc to stop because I couldn't take the pain. Im not a wimp, but that was off the scale!!! If I dont get any improvement in the next 5 days, I will take myself to A & E and get the examinations I feel I need. Im envious that you were refered so quickly, thats a rarity in the UK.

For anyone who is due a Cortisone injection into their knee, I apologise for putting the frightners on you, but I will NEVER EVER have that procedure done again! I would rather have the general knee pain!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
    gib
    (male)

gib HB User

Ah, I see you are seeing only a GP, sorry to hear that. I don't need a referral to see a Orthopedic surgeon through my health plan at work, I go and see one if and when I want to.

I had my knee drained three times, twice before surgery, once after. One of the times, the 'local' he gave didn't penetrate far enough and when he stuck the needle into the joint, well, I felt your pain!

Cartilage damage can happen when you seemingly haven't done anything to cause it to happen, I've heard similar stories to yours so I'm not completely suprised that it happened at work. Physical conditioning, gender, activity level, might be reasons that factor in. When I say gender, it seems the women are doing things that you wouldn't expect to cause damage end up with damage, while men have injuries due to some kind of sports activity. A lady that I work with tore her miniscus carrying something up some stairs. I tore mine riding a dirtbike, off road motorcycle.

Adding insult to your health system over there, I sadly dislocated my shoulder not quite 3 weeks ago on Sunday. That Monday, I went to an Urgent Care facility and had it x-rayed. These facilities are for when something isn't serious enough to warrant a trip to the emergency room, but serious enough not to want to wait for an appointment with your GP. Tuesday, I saw my Ortho and scheduled an MRI for the next day. The MRI was negative for rotator cuff tears, so my Ortho scheduled a CT scan which I did the following Monday. The Ortho was out of town that week so I didn't follow up until this last Monday. I talked to one of his office assitants (he was seeing a patient) and found out that I broke the socket in my shoulder. I have an appointment to discuss 'options' on Monday, but it will be a pre-op appointment, as he wants to do surgery, which will be next Wednesday. While I'm disappointed at my latest injury, I've certainly gotten the attention that I needed in relatively short order!

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
    angelwithwings
    (female)

angelwithwings HB User

Local? What local? I didn't have any aneasthetic-hence the screaming!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
    gib
    (male)

gib HB User

Good Lord, are you freakin' kidding me, no local? WOW! Are they practicing third world medicine over there?

So yeah, all three times I was given a local to numb up my knee first, then he went ahead and stuck in the needle to drain it, no big deal except for the one time the local didn't quite penetrate deep enough, but I'm sure that didn't even come close to what you experienced!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
    angelwithwings
    (female)

angelwithwings HB User

Im shocked! I thought that when they drain your knee they just stick the needle into it??. I had no aneasthetic for either the drain or the Cortisone injection. I thought that was 'normal'?? It does seem that we DO practice third world medicine over here. No wonder I was begging the Doctor to stop..

Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
    dg456
    (male)

dg456 HB User

I had ACL and meniscus repair last August and had to have fluid drained a couple months ago. I didn't have any anesthesia either. I didn't even know my ortho was going to drain it. He told me it was a bit swollen for 6 months post-op, and that he wanted to drain the fluid. I assumed this meant scheduling another procedure, or at least coming back on another day. Before I knew it he was sticking the needle into my knee joint. It was a pretty unpleasant experience, but I'm glad he did it as it loosended up my knee quite a bit.

FYI, this was at Harvard-affiliated hospital in the Boston area.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
    lthomas
    (female)

lthomas HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angelwithwings View Post
    Im shocked! I thought that when they drain your knee they just stick the needle into it??. I had no aneasthetic for either the drain or the Cortisone injection. I thought that was 'normal'?? It does seem that we DO practice third world medicine over here. No wonder I was begging the Doctor to stop..
    Over the years I have had a bunch of injections in my knee. The lidocaine hurts longer and more than any injection I have ever had... draining fluid, cortisone or "chicken fat".

I prefer the injection without any aneasthetic.

In my experience torn cartliage sounds like rice cripy cereal when you sit, stand or walk. My loose cartliage is not always painful. It does catch sometimes.

The torn ACL was a pain worse than impending death. If childbirth is a "3" severed ACL is a "10"

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Last edited by lthomas; 04-13-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
    angelwithwings
    (female)

angelwithwings HB User

Well, I had my MRI today and that went well. I did eventually go to A&E for the simple reason, after 4 trips to the Doctors and almost two months of pain, I was getting no where. It's a crying shame I have to use the A & E department like this, but if my GP had given me the care I needed, I wouldn't have to. Instead im told to 'soldier on' for a month and see what happens?! Im still experiencing all the original symptoms, only now, I do have crutches which do help,. but I hate using them. They dont quite match my outfits lol I still think I have the torn meniscus, im not healing so thats a pretty good indication of whats wrong. I should have done this a month ago.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
    YuliaNichya
    (female)

YuliaNichya HB User

get to an orthopedic surgeon (one who will actually take time to care for you nad knows what he/shes doing/talking about.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #13
    angelwithwings
    (female)

angelwithwings HB User

Hopefully I'll be seeing the Ortha Surgeon soon. Im ready to harass the hospital for my results.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
    YuliaNichya
    (female)

YuliaNichya HB User

lol. I really hope you find out what is exactly going on ur knee asap. I will pray that you feel better soon.

Closed Thread