It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

Lymphatic drainage massages after THR

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Larimergirl
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Lymphatic drainage massages after THR

I am about 12 weeks away from surgery and have frequent therapeutic massages to deal with muscle aches in hip and back area. Yesterday, while in a session, my therapist mentioned that she sometimes works with THR patients (in conjunction with their physical therapists) and does lymphatic drainage massage to help reduce inner inflamation and to prevent tissue adherence. I think she said she also (at some point when healing is significantly advanced) massages around the scar to improve tissue flexibility.

Has anyone heard of this? Or better yet had such massage post surgery?

And what about general massage? Has anyone been able to get up on a table for a regular massage? I have a spondylilothesis in my back from same accident that damaged my hip initially several years ago. It is minor but can cause lots of lower back pain if I don't regularly exercise, stretch and get massage.

I'm a little apprehensive about six weeks or more of sleeping on my back and being unable to exercise effectively or get back massage. Sleeping on my back generally kills me after a few hours. I have to shift to my side.

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Tobias
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
Re: Lymphatic drainage massages after THR

I've had both hips replaced. My PT massaged my scar (after it was completely healed) and told me I could also do it myself (small circular GENTLE massage) using lotion. I used a cream with Vit E in it. I did it regularly with the first hip, not so much with the second. However, 6 yrs. later both scars look exactly the same and are barely noticeable. Oh well, it gave me something to do while I sat at home.

I can't think of a reason why you couldn't eventually get full-body massages either. Getting onto a table shouldn't be difficult once you've healed and had your PT and been given the go-ahead by your surgeon.

The sleeping on the back problem is probably more or less universal. I hated it and worked hard to be able to roll onto my unoperated side safely way before I was really supposed to. In other words I cheated. It is necessary to adhere to precautions while trying this. The main thing is to use a pillow between knees to prevent the operated leg from falling past body midline. It was such a relief to be able to spend even 20 mins on my side at first. Also, while I was still in the hospital, they regularly rolled me to my unoperated side for up to 30 mins at a time. They did this with the abduction pillow strapped in place. Clumsy, and it took 2 people to do it (and it HURT as I was being turned!) but I decided that it was worth it for the relief.

Last edited by Tobias; 04-21-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typos

Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
liverpool sue
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i cheated too. with my first hip i did the full 6 weeks like they say, and barely slept a wink for all that time, even resorted to prescribed sleeping pills occasionally as the lack of sleep was having a deterimental effect on my overall well-being.
with my second hip, i lasted 6 days. the relief of rolling over on to my side was indescribable, but i made sure to do it the way tobias explains, with the pillow between the knees and 'eskimo roll' style, rather than flinging one leg over first.
don't know about the massage, never had one.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
hiplom
(female)

hiplom HB User

Hi, I also had massages prior to my surgery for muscle problems. After my surgery, my pt also did some massage on my scar and recommended cocoa butter. Its been a year since my surgery and my scar is barely visible. About 3 or 4 months after my surgery I decided to go back to her to begin massages again. The first massage was painful for me. It wasn't that I had a hard time getting on the table - I just took it very slow and that was OK. She noticed that I was flinching even when she was working on other parts of my body - such as my upper back. It seemed like my nerves were much more sensitive - so I decided to wait for a while before going back. So I didn't go back for a couple of months. I think that my entire body was still recovering from the surgery and even a massage aggravated it. I have not heard of that particular type of massage. As a matter of fact, she was very careful around my hip area for fear of causing issues. Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Larimergirl
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

This helps a lot. My family's making fun of me for all thinking I'm doing about such small stuff--I know that one can't possibly plan for everything, but it helps me to make lists and to think how I might make post surgery as positive as possible. Massage has sometimes been painful pre-surgery, but it's kept me going for a long time....Right now, I'm going to go and take a good epsom salt soak in the tub (getting in as many baths as possible right now since won't be able to do tub for a while after surgery.

Maggie

Closed Thread