It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Scheduled for microfracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
    mom2paisley
    (female)

mom2paisley HB User
    Question Scheduled for microfracture

Hi, I'm new and hvve just set up to have arthroscopic suregery and the dr is pretty sure I will also be having microfracture. It's scheduled for June 22 so I have time to prepare (or scare) myself. I know about the 6-8 weeks of non weightbearing and since it's my right leg also no driving. I also was told to expect a lot of PT. But I have a list of questions for those that have been through the surgery. How long before you could drive (if it was your right knee)? I can't go back to work until I can drive so I'm hoping only the 8 weeks. Also how long until you were completely off the cruches? I work at a library and do a lot of walking and bending so it may take longer. Also, a few years ago when I broke my foot and was on cruches I had a very hard time using them. So I got the cruches out and am praticing using them now. Our house is pretty handicap accasible from having several older family members living there in the past. Ramp to get in the door, handicap hight toilet with rails, grab bars in shower and a transfer chair for bathtub. I have my cruches but also have access to a walker and a wheelchair if I need them (again thanks to older family members ) What else do I need to think about? Anything that you had a really hard time doing on cruches that I should pratice now? I know this seems like I'm planning way in advance but I'd rather be prepared and it also keeps me from stressing about the surgery. I've never had any kind of surgery in my life. I'm at least hoping this will put off a knee replacement for several years. I'll be 37 in a few weeks so they really don't want to go that route any time soon. Thanks for any advice you can pass along.

Last edited by mom2paisley; 01-31-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
    gib
    (male)

gib HB User
    Re: Scheduled for microfracture

What kind of injury did you sustain?

I tore my minicus and banged up the cartilage on the femur on my right knee 3.5 years ago. Doc did a microfracture too where he scraped the cartilage smooth and poked some holes (micorfracture) in the cartilage to promot blood flow. I had weight bearing status immediately. I took it easy a couple of days on crutches, was using a cane shortly after, limping on my own in a couple of weeks. I drove pretty much immediately. I had no PT, but I'm somewhat athletic, doc said I did enough on my own to where he didn't need to prescribe it. I'm 47 at go to the gym 3-5 days a week. Your outlook on down time and PT sounds a little over the top unless you've really wrecked you knee badly. Oh, and why are you waiting so long for surgery???

Old 02-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
    mom2paisley
    (female)

mom2paisley HB User

Basically I have very little cartilage due to arthritis that started after I fell several years ago while walking the Gettysburg battlefield. He wants to do the microfacture to "create" some cartilage to put off any kind of knee replacement as long as possible. Right now I have bone on bone on one side of my knee. I'll be 37 next week so not really a candidate for a knee replacement unless my knee got a lot worse. Leaving bone rubbing on bone until I was "old enough" could do that. I was told no weight bearing for 6-8 weeks to give the new scare cartilage time to form. And as for waiting until June, that was my choice. I have one true vacation that I look forward to all year where we go down to FL and meet up with a bunch of greyhound (the dogs)friends and enjoy a long weekend with our dogs. The doctor said waiting until we got back was fine. I've been in pain for years with my knee so if I could handle the pain a few more months then it was ok to wait.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
    gib
    (male)

gib HB User

Ok, I understand. Sounds like you do need a bit of down time with your condition. Hopefully you've learned something with your experience in that you should not put off seeking help for injuries. More so if you have genetic conditions that led to your knee wearing out so early in life???

Having your knee scoped should not be a scary thing either. Mine was 'outpatient' surgery, I was in and out of the hospital in less than four hours, on the operating table less than 30 minutes. You should expect some pain as a rule but don't be suprised if you have none or very little, women report pain more often over men. I really didn't have any pain at all from the procedure and barely needed any of the pain medication. Look forward to getting it over with and on the road to recovery.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Be sure you can safely navigate stairs, curbs, and getting in and out of a car. I had microfracture done but didn't have to non-weight bearing so I'm guessing yours is more extensive than mine was. You say you have a transfer chair for the shower/bath - is it something you can use in the shower? I have a shower chair I got years ago when I had my ACL repaired and it's been useful every since (over the years). It actually sits in the tub/shower.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
    mom2paisley
    (female)

mom2paisley HB User

Yes, you can use the transfer chair in the shower. It sits in the shower but also sticks out so you can sit on it outside the shower and transfer yourself over then use it as a shower chair. Never realized just how soon all the "stuff" we equipped the house with for my great aunt and aunt was going to be useful for me As for getting in and out of a car, I'm thinking it will be easier for my husband and sister in law to take me to my appointments in our van. Both their cars are low to the ground where the van I can sit on the seat and pull myself in and just slide out.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Some people who have had back surgery made a suggestion that I used after knee surgery. Have a large plastic garbage bag with you for the car ride. If you sit on it you can more easily swivel in and out of the car/van. Especially if the vehicle you are in doesn't have leather seats.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
    Beachbum007
    (male)

Beachbum007 HB User

I had a microfracture and had to use a knee brace for 2 weeks but crutches only 3 days after the surgery. Ask your Doctor what to expect. Pain was was less than prior to the surgery. I am not certain how to compare this surgery. I had 19 holes punched. Since the Doc did not know what to expect he didn't know microfracture was called for.

My limitations post surgery. I am not to bend the knee more the 90 degrees with any weight, so I am awkward on stairs. I am not to kneel down on that knee, as the kneecap would mash the regenerated tissue. I had PT for about 5-6 weeks.

I hope this helps without frightening. I certainly feel better now than before the surgery. I play golf and walk 9 holes. Life is good.

Closed Thread