It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Trochanteric (Hip) Bursitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
    KarenMeyers
    (female)

KarenMeyers HB User
    Unhappy Re: Trochanteric (Hip) Bursitis

Hi,
    I hear your frustration.... Like you, I have been dealing with this since Nov. 2008. I had to drop out of Pilates (rehab!) due to the pain that keeps me up during the night.
    I feel fine in the daytime.

I've been to the chiropractor and physical rehab for 3 mos. with very minimal improvement. Both had used a tool to roll down the outer sides of my thighs to smooth out the adhensions (like fish scales) between the iliotibial bands. (Childbirth is less painful! ) An othopedic surgeon gave me an abrupt exam and within the 2 min. visit concluded that my right hip is lower than my left and prescribed a 1/8" heel lift. A podiatrist is suggesting orthotics to put me in better balance and doesn't feel I need heel lifts.

I've been sleeping on a 3" foam mattress (about 30" wide) on my king sized bed and found some exercises on ******* that were the same used in PT and by the chiropractor.

Like you, I am mentally & physcially fatigued from lack of sleep and I still walk my BIG labradoodle everyday. ;-)

I am afraid of meds and have tried every possible conservative treatment. I've run out of ideas and money and surgery even sounds wonderful to me. What have you tried?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
    mzahn1
    (female)

mzahn1 HB User
    Re: Trochanteric (Hip) Bursitis

OMG - 30 years! I have had this for about 2 years but started with IT band problems. I get cortisone injections about every 5-6 months and I agree that resting and taking down tim post injection is a must. I found PT to only cause more pain so I limited the stretching on the hip flexors and that seems to work. My Orthopod will not remove the bursa and says that in time it will go away!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
    plreynolds
    (male)

plreynolds HB User

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help I received from this forum, especially to jennybyc. I have been relatively pain free for close to six months. For anyone who continues to suffer, I recommend trying this basic method which has been working for me (please read Jennybyc's post (#8 from this thread) for much more helpful information

1) Keep bags of ice on the area that hurts the most. Most people recommend 15 minutes at a time, but whatever you feel safe with. The idea is to continue to ice it until the "tooth-ache" pain that many describe has resided.

2) Next, apply a heating pad for 15 minutes every hour or so. Again, whatever you feel safe with. Please don't overdo this or the ice, as I learned the hard way by getting burns. Continue to do this whenever you can. It may take days to "heal" the bursa.

3) Try not to aggravate it (for me sleeping on the side that hurt would just defeat the purpose of the above.) Another thing, a physical therapist friend told me that many of the patients he had with this often shifted or leaned to one side when standing. I remembered that I had often done this myself. Anytime I would be standing for a long period of time, I would shift my weight to my right hip (especially when standing in a bar, in line or at a concert.) He said doing this is terrible for your hip, so I have stopped doing this as well.

4) Try taking flaxseed oil, fish oil, or anything else that is recommended for this condition. I also used capsaicin sometimes, but be SAFE with it, read the directions and do NOT use with a heating pad.

This method may not work at all, and I only recommend this to those who continue to suffer but haven't found anything that works (cortisone, some variation of the above, etc...) It also may be very common knowledge, but when I first discovered this, I couldn't find much information until Jennybyc's post.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #19
    janderson1965
    (female)

janderson1965 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Trochanteric (Hip) Bursitis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flourish View Post
    Hi everyone

I'll jump right into my story. -- I first noticed the pain in my left hip around mid October of 2008. I was working at the time, and my job required me to be on my feet most of the day. I usually ride my bicycle to work and back, but one day the pain was so bad that I had to take the bus. I had recently been in the grocery store and I turned to look at something when there was a terrible pain from my hip all the way down to the knee. I limped all the way home. At work the next day I was basically useless because I had to sit down all the time. That day was my last day at work. After being off work for around 3 weeks I had to tell my employer that I would not be returning. I had no idea it would have lasted 3 weeks! Little did I know I'd still have it NOW. Ugh.

So I got in to see a physiotherapist. That seemed to only make matters worse. If I could barely walk, it seemed like stretching and exercising the joint could only make it worse, and it did. After about 7 visits I had to quit. I was in so much pain, and I had started walking with a cane to try to lessen the pain. I also had no medical benefits, so I could not afford $65 a visit - especially when I could not work.

I went to see my doctor about 2 weeks after my last day of work. I was nearly bed ridden. I could not sleep on my left side, as the pain was excruciating. I only got up if I REALLY had to. So at my first visit to the doctor he prescribed Ketorlac, which is an anti-inflammatory. It helped a tiny bit, but before my next appointment with him it got worse so I had to go to the walk in clinic where I was prescribed Tylenol 3's. These barely worked at all either. So I finally got to my doctor again and he prescribed Oxycocet (also known as Percocet). It made me so nauseous and dizzy that I had something else to focus on, but all in all it didn't do much for the pain. It was then that Doc said I might have a tolerance to pain killers lol No kidding!

I was so mad. I had just started Hap Ki Do, (a Korean martial art) and I was having SO much fun! Now I could hardly get up to go to the bathroom! I've been for x-rays - nothing showed up on the x-ray. Finally my doctor sent me to get a corticosteroid shot in my hip. HOLY crap did that hurt. If you can believe it, I was even MORE sore for about 3 days afterwards. I was on my back with a pillow under my left knee, and that was most comfortable. I dreaded even shifting positions.

About 2 weeks after the corticosteroid injection I FINALLY found relief. I could actually go out of the house without being in such horrible pain! So I tested myself. I would go to the mall and see how long I could walk without it hurting so much. I lasted about half an hour before the pain got bad enough that I had to go home. Every few days, after staying at home and resting, I would go back out and test myself to see if I could walk more. No such luck. I could at least leave the house, and the pain was tolerable. - That's the best I ever got though.

Now, February 2009, almost 4 months after that day at work where the pain was most prominent for the first time, it's gotten worse again. I made the mistake of going to visit family in a nearby city. Of course, all we did was go out and do things. Now my hip is killing me again!! Arg! So much for trying to force it away! lol

My doctor has finally referred me to a Rheumatologist - but there's something around a 2 month waiting list. Great! I should get in right around the time I have my lower jaw surgery... but I guess that's another story.

*****My question is - Does anyone know why this would be lasting SO long? I love work, I love life, and I hate not being able to live it! Has anyone else here had bursitis? Does it go away? (Please say yes!) If you have had it, what's your story? Did anything help? What helped more? Less?

I was on the bus the other day when I sat beside an elderly man. I had my cane, he had his, and another lady had hers. He commented that there were a lot of people with canes out today. He said he strained his knee a week or so back, but that he didn't usually use a cane - then he asked me why I had one. I told him it was bursitis, and that the bursa in my hip was inflamed. He told me that I was way too young for that, and I heartily agreed with him. lol I only just turned 23. What gives?

Flourish~
    i too kinda started out like that and after many injection and then a bursa removal of my left hip which was the BIGGEST mistake of my whole life!! this surgery is not one that is done often because that fluid filled sack protect things from rubbing together. i say NEVER do it!! one year laster it was woese than ever!! i had a left full hip replacement 4 weeks ago. right now i am having lots of pain, nerve issues. feels like a match is being lit where i had surgery. i hurt all the way to my foot. i am only 44. my bursa was inflammed and would not go down BUT i think there should have been other options other than a bursectomy. my thoughts...everyone is different but my life has changed for the worse.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 AM   #20
    autumneve
    (female)

autumneve HB User

I was a nurse until last year when I had to retire after having a bowel resection for cancer and them had a cerebral hemorrhage 4 days later. I was a hard working RN for 30 years. In 98 diagnosed with fibromyagia and chronic fatigue,2004 had a nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma, 6 months later diagnosed with Non Hodgkin s Lymphoma. Since summer have had to use a cane for poor balance and falling due to a large arachnoid cyst on my brain. All of my back, hip neck and shoulder pain has been exacerbated since June and at this time am in severe pain in all areas unrelieved by Lortab. I believe I have chronic trochanteric bursitis and have had it since 1998 when they said I had Fibro. Not sure why it didn't show up at that time but am in misery with both trochanter joints and neck and shoulder pain. Have an appointment this am with PCP and am hoping to finally get to the bottom of this. I am happy to have found someone that suffers from this type of disorder, not that you're in pain but just that someone else knows how terrible this is and how disabling it can be. I hope to learn from you things that you have tried and have helped for you. Unfortunately I can no longer take NSAIDS due to the brain bleed but hopefully they can come up with something to offer some relief. Thanks for your stories and for allowing me to vent. Bless all of you, Jean (Not sure how the little icons got in there nor do I know how to remove them.)

Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
    twilit tera
    (female)

twilit tera HB User

Hey, all! I saw autumneve's message and thought I'd post an update! It's now been 2.5 years since the pain started that was eventually diagnosed as trochanteric bursitis.

One of the things I found relieved the discomfort short term was a portable TENS unit. I took to wearing one all day and turning the juice on any time pain started to creep up on me, which was often. I could reserve pain medication for whenever the TENS couldn't do it alone.

A little over a year ago, my mother talked me into seeing her massage therapist, at her expense. She specializes in medical massage.

At first I'd feel a lot of relief that would gradually evaporate throughout the week. She would stretch the muscles that were pulling my joints out of place and really work on the fascia. She prescribed strength building exercises (especially core) and reinforced the need to stretch at home.

Eventually, the benefits of the massage and exercise began to be retained better. In her words, I was "stabilizing." I could walk longer and sit up at least a little.

The real miracle for me happened about 8 months ago, when my mother talked me into seeing her chiropractor as well (also at her expense). The chiropractor not only did adjustments like you'd expect from a chiropractor, but also did therapy for breaking up subcutaneous scar tissue, spinal decompression (aka traction - she thought that the disk bulges my orthopedic physician had dismissed were probably causing me more pain than he had thought) and she introduced me to something caled SCENAR - for nerve damage. She prescribed herbal supplements that relieved inflammation but contained no asprin (or willow bark).

Now I have a life again. I'm able to do most of the things I used to. I can drive again, although sitting up for long periods is still a mistake. My pain is not completely gone - but it's manageable. I was able to discontinue the supplements a few months ago and take pain medication very rarely.

There's hope. Don't rule anything out - investigate everything and keep an open mind.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #22
    autumneve
    (female)

autumneve HB User

Thanks for your reply Twilit Tera. I started out with Chiropractor and weekly massages for years to no avail. Saw PCP on Wed and received cortisone in both joints. Pain already relieved as well as burning an parathesia in both upper thighs. 13 years is a long time and this is the least of my health problems but it is a blessing to feel better. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. A

Closed Thread