It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Please Help me understand the results of a MRI of my left knee

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
    twina77
    (female)

twina77 HB User
    Question Please Help me understand the results of a MRI of my left knee

Hello everybody I need some help understanding my MRI results, let me give you a little bit of background first I am a 31 year old female who is not and has not been much of an exerciser since my high school days I am not over weight I am 5'4 and weigh 144 lbs. Back in January I got up out of bed and my knee was so stiff I couldnt even fully straighten my leg, I am a manager at a restaraunt and am on my feet a lot I just chalked it up to working too much after a few days of this I started to worry my Neice who is 2 years older than I was diagnosed with RA a year ago so I had my family Dr do the blood work for that it all came back negative. After 2 months of my knee like this I went back to my family Dr and asked for a MRI I knew something was wrong but didnt know what my left knee for the past 3 months was stiff and swollen and I still can not fully extend my leg when walking so I have a sort of limp and if I do happen to extend my leg the pain I experience is a nightmare, when I get out of bed or if I have sat for longer than 10 min I can not walk without the pain and stiffness. My Dr called and left me a message that stated " Your MRI showed there is some soft tissue damage I would now refer you to a orthopedic Dr here is the number" as you can imagine I am confused she did not give me any details. The following is what the report from my MRI states:

There is mild femorotibial chondrosis. There is chondromalacia patella, lateral facet, and apex.

Impression: Mild multifocal chondral damage. Remainder of knee intact.

If Anyone can explain what all this means I would so greatly appreciate it, I did call the Ortho and he wants to see me on Wed, I would also like to know what I can possibly expect. Is this a lot of damage? Does it normally require surgery? Thank you in advance for any help with this, I have made myself sick worrying about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Please Help me understand the results of a MRI of my left knee

Chondro = cartilage. You have mildly damaged cartilage around the end of the femur (thigh bone), the top of the tibia (shinbone) and under the patella (kneecap.)

He might want to do surgery to neaten up the damage and encourage it to heal, or he might try something else first, I couldn't possibly say.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
    kneepain
    (male)

kneepain HB User

Disclaimer: Do not take this as medical advice, take it with a grain of salt, wait to see what PCP and orthopaedic surgeon say about treatment after evaluation, BUTTTT... here are my 2 cents:

MRI findings probably mean you've got wear and tear arthritis, no surgery for now, you can try glucosamine/chondroitin and physical therapy to strengthen muscles around the knee to delay inevitable total knee replacement you'll need many, many yrs from now.

You didn't say if you had any trauma/injury to knee. Have you had any? It's unusual for you to have such "widespread" arthritis at such an early age w/o injury. Given autoimmune arthritis has been virtually r/o by your PCP (has it?), this may mean you've been blessed with bad genes, as family history definately plays a role in development of arthritis.

On the bright side, it's important to note the pertinent negatives on your MRI. Your sx at your age represent acute injury/trauma, which would show up as a ligament sprain, meniscus tear, etc on MRI, but if you read your report more closely they probably comment that your acl/pcl, lcl/mcl are intact w/o disruption, no meniscus tears noted, GREAT NEWS! No acute surgical intervention necessary.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
    twina77
    (female)

twina77 HB User

hi thanks so much for those of you that have replied, I wanted to address a thing or two that was pointed out that I failed to include in my original post, my knee pain is due to an injury in late Jan I feel on some ice at the time it hurt but not as bad as it does now, I fear that not seeking treatment at the time has made the injury worse. My Dr has ruled out RA through blood work and a hand x ray. I have read alot on here about people doing PT to strengthen the knee and have also read that for most this has made the pain worse than before, the thing with PT that I am most afraid of is I can not fully straighten my leg when I try to do so when my knee gets to a certain point it feels as if something inside is pulling and then the pain starts to really kick in. The MRI report does state that the ligamnets etc..are all intact. I guess I am just really hopeing this is going to be something that will fix quik I have a partially torn ACL in my right knee due to an injury recieved 5 years ago my then Ortho did the PT and it didnt help I have just grown use to the pain in that knee it is really frustrating with that one it hurts to bend it too far and the left one it hurts to straighten, I am just falling apart

Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Unable to straighten could be just due to swelling.

The thing about PT is, you have to be very vocal. You have to be willing to say, this hurts, stop.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
    kneepain
    (male)

kneepain HB User

You'll be alright, what your describing sounds like "extensor lag" which can be fixed by strengthening your vastus medialis (middle quad muscle); good luck with therapy

PS. They'll prob rec TENS unit, which doesn't have any good evidence behind it, and didn't work for me (I know, I know, anecdotal evidence!); consider passing on it if they want to charge you for it

Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I have almost the same thing going on right now. The first Orthopedic doc I saw after an MRI showed I had a torn Meniscus. He gave me a cortisone shot and sent me on my way. The second doc had me go for Physical Therapy, put me on some pain pills and anti inflammatory meds. I also have arthritis in the knee. I will get a shot the end of June so I can travel in July for a planned trip. In the meantime I do the PT exercises and icing of the knee twice a day. It is still painful to walk much or stand very long.
    If I were you I would get a couple of opinions from good Ortho doctors and go from there. I'm certain down the road I will need surgery, but until I'm told I need it I'll just keep with the exercises.
    I hope you find a good doctor that will explain all of this to you.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
    twina77
    (female)

twina77 HB User

Hello all thanks to all who have replied, I seen the Ortho Dr this past Wed. he explained everything to me and decided to start off with a Cortisone injection to reduce the inflammation 1st. I get these in my wrist for carpel tunnel but we will never again do one in the knee the side effects I am experiencing from that is very uncomfortable and my knee is more swollen and painful than before anyway I go back on the 29th to schedule surgery, he says the injection softens tissue so he likes to wait 4 weeks between the injection and surgery, he thinks that some of the damaged cartilage is lodged in my knee making it impossible to straighten my leg, so he wants to get in there using a scope of course and clean it up to help promote healing, and if he does not find anything else wrong while in there I should be back to work in a week to 10 days. As of now I am not any better than I was before the Dr and the cortisone injection in my knee has me very!!!! uncomfortable but hopefully this will get better.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
    Poppy12345
    (female)

Poppy12345 HB User

How do you get an MRI scan? I've never been offered anything like this for sprains. I've never been offered any follow up care, not even physio. I presume you have private health care? Nothing like this seems available on the NHS???

Closed Thread