It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Why does my knee click after a contusion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
    Askerman
    (male)

Askerman HB User
    Why does my knee click after a contusion?

Seven weeks ago, I hit my knee hard against a chair edge. My knee was bent but there was no twisting or weight bearing. I hit the upper portion of the front of my knee -- near the quadriceps tendon and suprapatella bursa.

For the first few days, I was not too concerned about my knee, but several symptoms emerged:
    1. Clicking when I straighten my leg (details below).
    2. Pain (fairly mild, evenly dispersed and constant).
    3. Squishy feeling (slight, no large swelling).
    4. Small bruise (went away quickly).

The most worrisome symptom is the clicking. I think it is similar to iliotibial (IT) band syndrome. It is not usually audible or painful, but it is very reproducible -- it happens every time I straighten my leg -- and I feel it happen if I place my hand on the lateral knee. It also depends on the direction my leg is in. The clicking is worse when my leg hangs straight down from my hip and is less noticeable if I straighten my leg out in front or lie down and straighten it overhead.

The physical exam revealed nothing clinically major; the doctor said that it was doubtful anything was seriously wrong and diagnosed it as a contusion or bruise. X-ray tests revealed that the joint spaces are intact and that there is no facture or dislocation. An MRI revealed no significant abnormality and no meniscus tears. The MRI did show a small joint effusion, however.

What is causing the clicking? Can clicking develop from a contusion? Can extra synovial fluid cause clicking? Has anyone had a similar experience and, if so, what was the outcome? Will it go away and how long will it take?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread