It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Random Knee Pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
    ScriptedTongue
    (female)

ScriptedTongue HB User
    Random Knee Pain?

Okay, first off I'm female and recently turned 16. When I was two I had osteomyelitis in the growth plate of my knee, or something like that. However, my mum can't remember which knee.

Sometime around the start of the year I started getting pain in my right knee, and sometimes it would swell. The first time I started getting the pain, I was laying on the couch under the air con. The pain wasn't actually triggered by anything as far as I am aware, and didn't last longer than 2 minutes max. The pain continued randomly, still I could not see a trigger for the pain.

After around 2 months later I think, I finally convinced mum to take me to the doctors. Around this time I the pain was starting to occur less and less, and my knee stopped swelling. I got my knee x-rayed and he said everything was fine. But my doctor also said that if the pain continues I would have to have a knee arthroscope. I didn't like the sound of that so I ignored the pain

It did not take long after that for the pain to come back. This time in both knees, but the pain was different. I don't know how to explain it, but it felt more like muscular pain. This pain is still ongoing, and whenever my knees hurt, it causes me to limp. Sometimes the pain will be in the back of my knee, or it will feel as though its just under my knee cap.

Apart from the pain I get in my knee, my bones hurt. This comes and goes, but usually I get pain in the bones in my lower arms. Also, the joints to my hip and leg occasionally hurts.

So anyone get any ides, apart from my mums, which is "growing pains."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Random Knee Pain?

As the mother of 2 kids ages 33 and 31, I hate to tell your mum but growing pains is a myth. Us older moms have had a hard time accepting that the advice that was passed on to us was mainly bull.

You need to see you doc again. You've had a bone infection once and you may be more prone to other bone problems. Many teens with bones aches and pains actually have a mild form of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis that they find out about it later in life when the adult form sets in. So ask to see you doc and tell him/her everything. And if your doc chalks it up to "growing pains"(some still do...idiots)keep an eye on it. As some point you have to stop growing and they can't blame that anymore, can they!

gentle hugs...........Jenny

Old 05-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
    ScriptedTongue
    (female)

ScriptedTongue HB User
    Re: Random Knee Pain?

I originally posted this because the pain in my knee returned rather badly last night, but it still didn't last long. It just hurt when I put pressure on it, which was something new. The knee pain is a relatively new pain, as for the last few years I have had bone pain, and quite possibly muscle pain but I don't have a good memory and can't really remember that much, but have thought nothing of it, and learnt to ignore it.

At work today the pain returned in the bones in my right arm (Ulna I think...the outside bone?). After I got home the pain returned to my right arm, and fingers. When the pain gets bad, it doesn't actually feel like its in my bone, it just feels like my whole forearm hurts. I didn't tell my doctor about the other pain when I went to see him about my knee, as I said, the knee pain was new.

So maybe its just more than knee pain, and i should have posted this in a different thread

And I will try to tell mum its not growing pains, but she is a rather hard person to convince of anything after her mind is made up

Closed Thread