It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

after hip replacement

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Anci56
(female)

Anci56 HB User
after hip replacement

I had a total hip replacement almost 3 mo ago.
I'm getting better,but my biggest problem is how to or even can I ever trim my toe nails,or color them? Or do I for the rest of my life have someone else do it for me? I never had a professional pedicure -no need to,-
Any advise would be helpful.
Thanks
Anci

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Silver Swan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: after hip replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anci56 View Post
I had a total hip replacement almost 3 mo ago.
I'm getting better,but my biggest problem is how to or even can I ever trim my toe nails,or color them? Or do I for the rest of my life have someone else do it for me? I never had a professional pedicure -no need to,-
Any advise would be helpful.
Thanks
Anci
Hi Anci:

I had my right hip replaced a year ago December, and can bend a little to cut my toenails but not for very long at a time and can't do a very good job. I even bought a longer handled toe nail clipper over the Internet. That helps a little but not much right now.

The problem right now isn't my replaced hip, it is my left hip that needs replacement soon that is making it almost impossible to bend down. I believe that when the other hip is replaced I will be able to cut my toenails once again. Fortunately I don't use nail polish.

Shirley H.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Anci56
(female)

Anci56 HB User

Thanks Silver Swan,
Your answer was helpful,Good luck with your L hip ,
Hopefully your pain will disappear.

Anci56

Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
GA44
(male)

GA44 HB User

I'm having/had the same problem. In the last five months I had both hips replaced. The answer to our problem is P.T. I had the first one really coming along good then went and had the second hip replaced . Now I'm slowly working on both. Just dont let the P.T. push you to hard .

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
bug1
(female)

bug1 HB User

GA44 hit the nail on the head! PT is essential. I had my surgery 5 months ago. I did PT for a while and then headed back the gym at one month. Took it slowly. I do a lot of stretching. No problems getting my socks on, painting my toes, etc. It will eventually come back, just takes time and patience.

Kim

Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Fauxname
(female)

Fauxname HB User

Hi, I'm new to this site and this is my first post.

I'm scheduled for a left hip THR at the end of this month. I'm very anxious about the results of this procedure, although I feel comfortable with the surgeon.

One matter I'm concerned about is how the THR will affect my flexibility. I've always been very limber, some say double-jointed. I'm still able to put my palms to the ground, stretch my legs to my head, that sort of thing. In fact, I stretch a lot during the day without even thinking about it.

I've read on this site where post-THR patients cannot do self-pedicure as they cannot bend. Is this true for everyone?

Granted, I don't need to do the palm-thing or the leg-stretch, but I worry I'll forget my limitations and then dislocate. Any thoughts on this?

Will I be able to cross my legs while sitting?

I'd love to hear from all of you. I'm 60. If you care to share your age, that would be great. I think I'm young to be having this surgery.

My osteoarthritis was diagnosed two years ago. How long was the time for you between diagnosis and surgery?

Again, thank you for your consideration.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
tmgl9
(female)

tmgl9 HB Usertmgl9 HB User

I'm hoping the same thing. I am 7 weeks post op and can walk well. I am weak because I had pneumonia and severe anemia, during hospital and rehab stay. I hear from my friends that they can reach their own nails eventually, but I have really long legs and need to bed my leg into a really awkward position.

I just had a toenail grow in too and it became slightly infected. I wore thick socks with the only sneaker bottom shoes I could get on...and it was six weeks ..longer than I usually go without cutting out corner of big toenails at least. Now I am on augmentin (and flagyl and diflucan...since I had c-Diff in 06.)

I am diabetic so will probably see the podiatrist every 9 weeks or so to get my nails cut. My diabetes is in control with no meds, just diet, exercise and weight maintenance.

The issue with having to take flagyl with antibiotics each time I go to the foot doctor I am hoping to resolve. Maybe if there is no infection, I can get a trimming without premedicating.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Fauxname
(female)

Fauxname HB User

Do any of you post-THR people have to take antibiotics before visiting a dentist?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Larimergirl
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

There's lots of discussion about this on the site. My dr. said two years. Others have been told to do it for rest of life, still others have been told no meds necessary. My two cents: Ask your surgeon and dentist and follow their recommendations. Maggie

Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
Anci56
(female)

Anci56 HB User

Hi Fauxname
Glad to hear from you.I wish I knew about this tread before I had my THR surgery.The problem is everybody tells you,it's no big deal.Well ,IT IS A BIG DEAL!
I'm 71 ,( a young one)with all the health problems.I was diagnosed w/Osteoarthritis about 20 yrs ago.also have very bad Osteporosis.I tolorated all the aches and pain ,until last year I was diagnosed w/ inflammation of the blood wessels in my head.
I was put on PREDNISONE(steroids).I was on it for a year,no other choice ,or go blind.
One of the more than 50 side effects of this meds.was that one morning I woke up,couldn't walk from the pain in my groin.At first I thought it was only one of my usual flare ups ,The pain never went away.This was 7/08.
I started to move around w/a cane ( I live by myself)than I had to get myself one of those walkers,w/the seat on it,.By the end of the year the pain got worse,Finally I visited an Orthopedic surgeon.She took X-rays,than told me I have no other choice,but have a THR because from the steroids my hip bone is very badly deteriated ....
So there, I had the surgery ,I was in Hosp. for 5 days needed 4 units of blood,Than I was transported to a Rehab facility I was there for 3 weeks,Every day 2x a day 2hrs of
exercise.I was still on blood thinner (6 weeks after the surgery)Can not eat a lot of things,while you are on it,.They had to take blood every day ,to adjust the med.
After I went home,it was a little scary since I didn't anybody at home.The visiting nurse
came 3x a week,so did the nurses aid,and a PT.It was very helpful,especially since I developed other complications-has nothing to do with the surgery-in the rehab the nurse dropped the footrest of the wheelchair on my foot.,Became infected,had to take antibiotics,It was so swollen I coudn't walkand it was on the same side as the surgery
BAD LUCK I GUESS!
You have to very careful NEVER to cross your legs,Not because you can't,but because your new hip can pop out!!!Same for the pedicure,My Dr told me,it's better if someone else is doing it,again,not because you can't,but because you shouldn't!
You will need a lot of gadgets around the house,the grabber is the most important one
elastic shoe laces for your snickers,a long shoe horn,a gadget to put your socks on,an elevated toilet seat,a bench for the showerYou can only sit on 22inch or higher.
It's been 4 mo and I still have an accaisonal stabbing pain on the sightGood luck Anci56

Old 07-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Nissenson
(female)

Nissenson HB User

I'm 61 and I had bilateral hip replacement June 22. It was fantastic. I walked with a cane the day after surgery and was nearly pain-free. I was back to normal flexibility within 3 weeks The restrictions on movement are not forever, and if you don't have the surgery you will be a lot more restricted very soon. I really believe that NOT waiting until the condition was so severe that I had muscle atrophy, is a great part of my quick recovery. Just stick with the PT and enjoy, what I am sure, will be wonderful results.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
tmgl9
(female)

tmgl9 HB Usertmgl9 HB User

My hip was done May 22, 09, so little over a year ago.
Same pattern with me, cane only in two days, up and down stairs at rehab.

I did have some mild limping into 6 months...then I started on my recumbent bike. I now walk (and could run, but I don't) as I did when I was playing tennis some 6 years ago or so. I am 67 years old. I also walk 2-3 miles at time, fast paced.

Doc said at some point I might need other hip replaced since I had pain in that one as well, and in my back (herniated and stenosed lumbar and sacral discs on MRI in 07 before hip replacement. When I had the bad hip replaced, gradually, the pain in back and other hip disappeared.

One needs to not just do rehab and stop, though. I continued all of the stretching and resistance exercises at home after PT was done and I still do them. Soon I will join the gym again and add in to my biking and walking, the weight training I used to do.

I really don't think about my hip....no restrictions. Some people say they sleep with pillow between their legs forever. Doc said 3 to 4 months and then get rid of it, unless I sleep better with it there.

So...I bend, stretch, walk, bike and do resistance training.

Can't stress this part of rehab as a life-long protocol enough.

terri

Closed Thread