It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Foot turned outward 45 degrees after total knee replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
    daltoncd
    (male)

daltoncd HB User
    Foot turned outward 45 degrees after total knee replacement

I am a 66 year old male who from birth has had my right foot turned inward about 10 degrees (pigeon toed right foot only, a hereditary trait). I have had a number of football injuries to the knee from high school, college and an attempt as a professional. In February of 2008 I had a total right knee replacement. The first thing I noticed upon awaking from surgery was my right foot turned outward about 45 degrees. It was the first thing I mentioned to my doctor after being taken to my room. He said it was probably from the temporary effect of the swelling causing the muscles to twist the foot. After a year my foot remained turned outward 45 degrees and my knee would not bend more than about 80 degrees. Over the same year my knee was bent while under anesthesia and scoped to remove scar tissue with poor results. My doctor attempted to explain how the knee prosthesis must align at certain point to fit correctly but remained puzzled as to why my foot was/is twisted. He did a revision in February 2009 and suggested using a hinged knee prosthetic; but during the surgery decided to make adjustments to the existing prosthesis. After 8 months following the revision there has been no improvements with my knee remaining swollen, throbbing with pain and foot turned outward the same 45 degrees. If anyone is familiar with a similar experience please reply. I am desperate for an answer.
    Thank You,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Foot turned outward 45 degrees after total knee replacement

At the risk of sounding a bit angry...GET A SECOND OPINION! It sounds like your ortho screwed up and he is trying to correct it and can't. See another doc and get another opinion before he touches you again. It really sounds like he cemented the prosthesis in the wrong way and over corrected your pigeon toe problem.

I was pigoen toed as well and my legs are straight as a pool cue...had both replaced at the same time. Finally walk flat on my feet instead of on the sides...had to get new shoes.

I think your doc messed up and now can't get it fixed because he just doesn't know how to.

Sorry to be a downer but it if it smells like a mistake it usually is. See someone not affiliated with him and ask their opinion. If they agree with him then you're stuck but if it were me, I'd go for a third, fourth or however many it took to get at least 2 or 3 docs to agree on what needs tob e done. It is your body and you only get one so take care of it.

good luck........Jenny

Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
    daltoncd
    (male)

daltoncd HB User

The pigeon toe was no problem; I had the surgery because my knee wouldn’t bend beyond 90 degrees. I really had very little pain before the surgery unless I tried to force it to bend beyond that point. It is good to know that pigeon toes are being set straight by knee replacements, which means there is no reason for my doctor to say that the knee can only be set at one certain point. I don’t think he KNOWS what to do and won’t admit that he bungled the job. Appreciate your reply. Seems not many ppl are familar with this problem. Thanks again, daltoncd

Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Your welcome. Wish I had better news for you.

gentle hugs.........Jenny

Closed Thread