It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Shoe Lift Advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
    mslux
    (female)

mslux HB User
    Shoe Lift Advice

Hi All.

I had an appointment with the orthopedist yesterday because I wanted him to advice on a shoe lift. I will need a hip replacement eventually but I'm under sixty so I want to wait a bit. Meanwhile I've lost bone and after he measured it turned out to be 3/8 of an inch that I need to augment on my right side.

Being that much off is affecting my back and I want to continue walking twice a day since I also have thyroid problems and I really want to keep as healthy as possible. Regular excercise is difficult at best due to the hip,

He gave me a prescription for a lift and I found a shoe repair place very near me who actually makes lifts and I just need to bring in shoes to have them fitted. He slices the heel of the shoe and installs them that way, but he was kind of vague about what the best shoes are for this.

I was thinking maybe a pair of Uggs for winter, and a pair of casual loafers when I need something more conventional. Has anyone had to do this and if so what types of shoes work best?

Last edited by mslux; 09-15-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
    libloom
    Veteran
    (female)

libloom HB User
    Re: Shoe Lift Advice

Hi...

I had to wear a lift after my first hip replacement, and took in an old shoe with a substantial heal (about an inch and a half) for my guy to "experiment" on. I hesitated to have it done to a newer pair and not have it work.

Obviously, you'll need a shoe with a separate heal...not a one piece bottom..i.e., sneakers.

Good luck,
    Linda

Closed Thread