It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Does anyone know what could be causing my knee problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
    Alyssa139
    (female)

Alyssa139 HB User
    Question Does anyone know what could be causing my knee problems?

Okay. To start off, I am only 19 years old and I already have knee problems in my right knee. I have been to the doctor at least three times with tendonitis, plus the times I didn't go to the doctor. And I have also had patellafemoral syndrome once. It seems that at least twice a year I get bad knee pain.

Now I know it is normal for people who have injured their knees to easily injure them again, but the weird part about mine is I don't ever remember injuring my knee to begin with. Also, I never do anything out of the ordinary to cause my knee to start hurting again. For example, I began working at a new wal-mart this past summer. When we were setting up the store, I was walking constantly on that hard floor for 8 hours a day and my knee never started hurting. Now that we are open, I occasionally walk out on the floor to put up stuff, but am mainly behind a desk and my knee is now hurting extremely bad.

Okay now for my symptoms. As I said before, I have had tendonitis and patellafemoral syndrome before and this time is nothing like those were. My knee started out hurting a little bit when I did alot of walking, but has not progressed to where I am afraid I am not going to make it to where I am going it hurts so bad. If I am standing or walking just a little it doesn't bother me at all, but the more I walk the worse and worse it gets. Then once I stop walking it aches very badly on the top portion of my knee and sometimes up the outer side of my thigh. The more I rest it the better it gets until it doesn't hurt at all anymore. But then the next time I walk a good bit it does the same thing again.

Now I know that someone it going to say that I should just stop walking everytime it starts to hurt, but the problem is that I can't. I do all this walking at my job and they have a strict, no sitting down unless you are on break rule. They wouldn't even let a girl who was 8-1/2 months pregnant sit down. Also, my dad doesn't have very good insurance so I am trying not to have to go to the doctor unless absolutely necessary.

Here's a list of my symptoms: pain in top of knee that gets progressively worse with walking, aching after walking in knee and sometimes up side of leg, no pain at all after an hour or two of resting.
    Another thing that I am not sure is relevant or not is that for a while now when I walk alot, my hip pops kind of. Not an audible pop, but one you can feel if you put your hand on it, that's also the right side.

If anyone could tell me what this possibly could be, I would apprecitate it. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Does anyone know what could be causing my knee problems?

Hi Alyssa...I'm Jenny and I've had 14 knee surgeries so if it's happened to a knee, I've had it.

First, are you aware of what Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome is? You said you had it but perhaps you don't understand that once you have it, you may have it until the problem is fixed. Although it isn't completely understood, it is believed to be pain from your kneecap not tracking in the proper place in your knee. There is a groove that it should be tracking in and when it is loose or being pulled to the wrong side, it pulls the kneecap out of the groove and you get pain. If that is what is causing your case of Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome than it might not go away until it is fixed and put in the right place.

The rest of your symptoms sound like more tendinitis and that would go along with the kneecap being out of place and rubbing the wrong areas. Even the pop you hear in your hip may be the involved as the hip muscles can pull the kneecap out of alignment and it may be a simple case of you being born with a muscle slightly out of place.

I'd go see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees. A simple brace that holds your kneecap in place along with some exercises to strengthen your leg muscles may do the job but an ortho would need to make that call. It can be cured with surgery but that is a last resort.

So please see an orthopedist. This will only get worse with time if you don't.

gentle hugs.................Jenny

Closed Thread