It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Bilateral Total Knee Replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #31
    floating island
    (female)

floating island HB User
    Re: Bilateral Total Knee Replacement

Hang in there, startanew. I remember someone telling me that you "turn a corner" at about six weeks p.o., and I found that to be very true. Day by day, you begin to realize you are getting your life back.
    At 6.5 weeks, I had no choice, as we relocated from the Pacific NW to the California desert , into a condo that was up a flight of stairs! After two months there, we left on a three-month, round-the-world trip. If you're picturing me reclining on the deck of a luxury cruise ship, think again. This was the type of trip where you are schlepping luggage from airplane to bus to hotel, and back again -- nineteen times! Well, I survived it (actually I had a wonderful time). I am just one week shy of a full year p.o. and there are days when I don't even think about my knees, believe it or not.
    You need to get off the pain meds. That was one thing my surgeon insisted on, and at the time I thought he was being cruel. BUT painkillers don't allow you to think clearly and taking them changes your perception of your situation. Try to switch to Tylenol ASAP. Try the Arthritis Pain Formula, it worked really well for me. I am now taking an occasional NSAID. We went to England (cold and rainy) in August, and I needed something to help me forget about my bum shoulder, and enjoy myself. I discovered that the knees loosened up, too. I had not been aware of any particular problems in the knees, but I have arthritis pretty much everywhere, and was amazed at how much that NSAID helped, everywhere.
    Good luck to you. You've made it through the hard part, just a little more recovery to go. Keep those stretchy bands handy, I don't think you can go wrong with a little morning warmup stretch. Go walking! Start with a trip to the mailbox, and make longer and longer trips every day. I am now walking all day, running errands and remodeling a condo. I literally don't sit down until my evening shower and bedtime.
    Have you every tried yoga? I did it before the surgery, and was doing it again (modified for the knees) at about two months post op. I find it helps everything.
    Get out there and move! And don't ever sit in a rocking chair for more than about 30 minutes. It will kill you!
    Floating Island.

Last edited by floating island; 10-02-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Add more information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #32
    bmurphy205
    (female)

bmurphy205 HB User

I have just joined the site and have been reading posts. I read the three women early 50's and I guess I am the fourth. I am a paralegal and an exercise instructor. too much running and teaching and bad genitics- got me in the the OR for the left TKR . I was petrified, but I walked into the office for my two week check up and the surgeon was so proud he and I walked ver to PT to parade around LOL. I have been doing my exercises and want terribly to get back to teach. Still have sweliing, but Ihad it so bad before it dosent surprise me. My femur was sliding off the tibia and it was bone on bone. I have some weird pain/cramp in the side of my leg and inner thigh at night that is keeping me up. I dont know if its my gait is correct now and my muscles are compensating or its just part of healing. SO READY to move on but like you I am very fortunate that I never used a walker or cane only the first night at the hospital because they made me. Just trying to make sure I'm on track with others!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #33
    waldosmom
    (female)

waldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB User

Like many others, I find great comfort in reading the information on this site. Thank you (!) everyone for taking the time to post your recovery details. I've been keeping a pain/mood journal for a few weeks as I prepare for my bilateral TKR next month. I want to compare my current pain in a few months to (hopefully) realize that I can have reduced pain and more movement in the future.

Again -- many thanks to everyone here!
    Lynn

Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #34
    ladyscout
    (female)

ladyscout HB User

I'm having more surgery this morning to correct part of what my surgeron screwed up a year ago. I'm so glad I hadn't read your comments before my surgery. You make it sound like a cake walk! I backpacked Mt. Whitney from the east and from the west at 58 and 60, I did the bicycle ride from San Francisco to L.A (600 miles in 6 days) at 62. I had my knee replacement last year at 64. It was the most difficult and painful things I've even done by far. I am also unable to take codeine meds. or most anti-inflamatories. I'm now riding my bike 30 to 45 miles several times a day but I live with pain 24/7. Today at 1:30 I go in for a surgeon (not the same one that came highly recommended who messed up) to laser the part that has been rubbing for a year. I'm glad for you that at 12 days you were almost doing regular things but I think you'll just make other's feel "less than" if they aren't as "strong" as you and none of us are really. For those reading this who are "down" because of the pain - hang in there. Each day will get better!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #35
    beerhunters
    (male)

beerhunters HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladyscout View Post
    I'm having more surgery this morning to correct part of what my surgeron screwed up a year ago. I'm so glad I hadn't read your comments before my surgery. You make it sound like a cake walk! I backpacked Mt. Whitney from the east and from the west at 58 and 60, I did the bicycle ride from San Francisco to L.A (600 miles in 6 days) at 62. I had my knee replacement last year at 64. It was the most difficult and painful things I've even done by far. I am also unable to take codeine meds. or most anti-inflamatories. I'm now riding my bike 30 to 45 miles several times a day but I live with pain 24/7. Today at 1:30 I go in for a surgeon (not the same one that came highly recommended who messed up) to laser the part that has been rubbing for a year. I'm glad for you that at 12 days you were almost doing regular things but I think you'll just make other's feel "less than" if they aren't as "strong" as you and none of us are really. For those reading this who are "down" because of the pain - hang in there. Each day will get better!
    is the same doc doing the repair?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #36
    monatbass
    (female)

monatbass HB User

Excellent advice! I wish I had the sense to look at these blogs BEFORE my husband had bilateral TKR. The info you provided was more useful than anything the medical people provided. I was very disappointed with the surgeon (not his surgical skill), his PA, the hospital nursing and OT/PT staff. Sadly, they offered alomst no education to me, the person who would care for the patient for many weeks. I basically learned by watching. What a disservice to the patient!

The PT angel who came to our home for the first four sessions was an amazing gift!

Some important advice that our home PT gal gave:

If for any reason you need to call 911 from home early in recovery, use your home phone so you can be easily located and let them know right off that you are NOT ambulatory! That way they make sure enough responders arrive together, no need to waste time calling back-up.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #37
    cinnsmom
    (female)

cinnsmom HB User

hi all,hope im doing this right. i had back surgery in july and am going this yr for bilateral kneereplacmt i also have drop foot have a brace for when i go out and always use a cane. my question is does any1 know of some1 who has drop foot too? im wondering how it will affect my rehab of course im scared to death im overweight but strong but both at same time has me worried have to do both cant take the pains any longer dont go out anymore afraid i might fall what a mess lol for some1 who never stood still.thanks for listening barb

Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #38
    gregmurray
    (male)

gregmurray HB User

Sorry about your heakth problems but I don't know anything about drop foot. Am having bi-lat knee this month

Old 01-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #39
    cinnsmom
    (female)

cinnsmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmurray View Post
    Sorry about your heakth problems but I don't know anything about drop foot. Am having bi-lat knee this month
    hi, good luck with your surgery keep me posted about the experience if you can.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #40
    cinnsmom
    (female)

cinnsmom HB User

dont know if the other reply went through.so i,ll repeat it good luck with your surgery keep me posted on your experience if you are up to it cinnsmom

Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #41
    gregmurray
    (male)

gregmurray HB User

thank you

Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 AM   #42
    cinnsmom
    (female)

cinnsmom HB User
    Re: Bilateral Total KneeS Replacement

hi im wondering how it went its now 2011 and im sure you had it done im going sometime this year for bilateral need to hear more of your experience thanks barb

Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #43
    floating island
    (female)

floating island HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinnsmom View Post
    hi im wondering how it went its now 2011 and im sure you had it done im going sometime this year for bilateral need to hear more of your experience thanks barb
    cinnsmom,
    I'm happy to answer your question. I'm now 15 months post op and here is how I'm doing:
    Thrice a week, I facilitate both a beginners and intermediate yoga class.
    At least once a week, I go onto the tennis court and my husband throws a hundred balls for me to hit. (He's trying to get me back on the court).
    During these activities, I NEVER think about my knees!
    I still have some stretching and strengthening to do, and sometimes I get a cramp in leg or foot.
    BTW, plain old tonic water is great for getting rid of muscle cramps.
    I know it's scary facing this surgery. It was one of the toughest things I've ever done, but worth all the pain and tribulation (which is temporary). I'm now looking forward to a happy, active retirement doing the things I love to do. I could not have said that before the surgery.
    Call on family and friends for support, and go for it! Be aggressive in your recovery (don't whine! - no one really wants to hear it anyway). Get up and walk and soon you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    Keep in touch, let us know how it's going.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #44
    cinnsmom
    (female)

cinnsmom HB User

thanks so much for answering me. im going to get tonic water cause i get cramps all the time thanks for the tip. and about whining your right when i catch myself doing it i clamp up real quick lolit will be months before i get the surgery but i,ll keep you posted when i get a date keep up the good work on your knees barb

Closed Thread