It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Knee CT Arthrogram

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
    tripple1zero
    (male)

tripple1zero HB User
    Knee CT Arthrogram

Hey everyone,

A week ago I twisted my knee playing basketball, was not pleasant! Anyway, went to the hospital straight away, and they told me I tore my MCL. A week later, it wasnt feeling much better so I went to my GP, and got a CT Arthrogram. I need a bit of help with the terms used in the report - a dummies guide if you like. I am going back to my GP, who im sure will explain it, but id really like to know before I go in. Anyway, here is the report...

1. Discontinuity of the ACL in associated with a Segond fracture of the lateral tibial plateau margin (the summary states that my ACL is "ruptured") - so my ACL is no longer attached to my tibia?
    2. plus a lateral notch sign in the lateral femoral condyle with underlying sclerosis.
    3. Small oblique tear of the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus
    4. subtle vertical/radial tear of the free margin of the body of the lateral meniscus.
    5. partial thickness of chondral fissures within the lateral tibial plateau articular cartilage.

To me that sounds pretty bad, but thats probably because I dont know what 90% of the words mean. The positive things (easier to accept!) are that my medial meniscus is all good, no medial joint compartment or patellofemoral chondrosis was noted, lateral supporting structures are fine and PCL appears intact.

If somebody can give me a basic explaination of what ive done to my knee, that would be really good. Should I expect surgury?

Also, I am climbing (well, more of a hike) up Mt Kinabalu in Saba in 12 weeks. I really really do not want to miss it... what do you think my chances are of completing this two day adventure?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
    tripple1zero
    (male)

tripple1zero HB User
    Re: Knee CT Arthrogram

Okay, I cant really explain what all this means, but the sum of it resulted in a ACL replacement. Just thought id give a bit of info about my experience after the surgury.

I had the surgury on the 14th of December, and they used my hamstrings as the replacement ACL. I had the op pretty late in the day, and I was up and moving with crutches the following morning. The physio told me to try put weight on it asap, and gave me exercises to do. I was given a weeks worth of pain killers (3 different strengths) and anti-inflammatories. I was told to take the pain killers even if i didnt feel any pain. I never felt the need to use the two stronger painkillers.

Within 5 days I was limping around without crutches. The thing I have found most painful is my hamstrings and calf muscles. My calf is particularly sore now, and still very bruised. A week to the day after the surgury I had to finish xmas shopping, so I spent 15 minutes walking around a shopping center, without crutches. I do think this put me back a bit, and increased bruising in my calf. 10 days after the surgury, not much has changed, but swelling has gone down a considerable amount (bandages fell off). I can almost put my leg straight, and bend it to about 70 degrees.

Tomorrow is my first proper physio appointment, so we will see how I go. Next week is my follow up appointment with my doc.

Closed Thread