It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Knee pain 3 months after total hip replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
    tlearst
    (female)

tlearst HB User
    Knee pain 3 months after total hip replacement

Hi, I am a new member to this site. I had a total right hip replacement on Sept 11, 09. I have been recovering very well. I was wondering if anyone else has had severe knee pain following this surgery. I have no hip pain now, just in the knee, sometimes it feels like the knee buckles, but the pain is always throbbing in there.
    Thank you,
    Theresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
    LunarElf
    (female)

LunarElf HB User
    Re: Knee pain 3 months after total hip replacement

Hi Theresa,
    I don't know if you're still on this message board or not, since you posted 2 years ago.
    My husband (age 55) had a total hip replacement almost 5 weeks ago, and he is experiencing the same knee pain you mention. He was beginning to feel pretty good earlier this week, and then wham, a swollen painful knee, and he's back to using a cane and hobbling around. He's discouraged, as he thought that he'd be feeling pretty good by now. I'd like to ask you, after two years, how are you feeling now? Thanks!
    -Marcia

Old 11-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
    huffnpuff
    (female)

huffnpuff HB User

I also had the knee pain after hip replacement (Feb., 2011). I asked the doctor about it, but he kind of passed over it, saying many of these other pain problems will disappear with time. Asked how long a time, he said about three to six months. He was right- eventually most of the pain disappeared, but now I find myself with one leg shorter than the other and require a lift in my shoe to walk properly. This was a big disappointment. The repaired hip makes that right leg longer than the other. Thot it would even out, but it hasn't. Possibly that's the source of your husband's knee pain. I have lower back pain as a result of the lengthened leg.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
    LunarElf
    (female)

LunarElf HB User

Thanks for your response. My husband's knee pain went away after about 3 days, and then he had his 6 week checkup. The doctor suggested that the additional fluid resulting from the surgery was pooling in his lower leg and knee, compounded by varicose veins in that leg, causing his knee to swell. I guess if we'd known that, he would have been elevating his leg. But we think we're a little better prepared for his second hip replacement - next Wednesday! By the way, I like your screen name....my family refers to us as "Huff 'n Puff" since my hubby's last name is Huff!
    -Marcia

Old 11-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
    huffnpuff
    (female)

huffnpuff HB User

So happy things resolved for him - I also had that swelling because of varicose veins, but it went away pretty fast, because I DID elevate the leg - it felt better that way. The second replacement is always easier I think (I had both knees done, not at one time), and by the time I had the second one done, I knew so much more and the results were much better. For one thing, I didn't wear the support stockings for the first one as I should have, and that leg remains larger than the other. The second one, they had to pry them off of me, and I did so much better. I remembered how important it was to do everything I was told and not skip through things. Best of luck to him with the second hip.

Last edited by huffnpuff; 11-26-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: My mood.

The Following User Says Thank You to huffnpuff For This Useful Post:
    LunarElf (12-04-2011)
    Old 11-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
    huffnpuff
    (female)

huffnpuff HB User
    Talking Re: Knee pain 3 months after total hip replacement

I will probably need my other hip done also, so please post after his hip surgery and let us know how he is doing. I had my knees done about a year apart, and this hip thing could go the same way. Osterarthritis of the joints -other hip is acting up, maybe because of the uneveness of the legs. We'll see. My husband calls me huffnpuff becaus I kind of huffed and puffed through my rehab - I was always very nervous I would make a wrong move!

Closed Thread