It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• meniscus problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
    valmw
    (female)

valmw HB User
    Smile meniscus problem

4 months ago I had a torn medial miniscus repaired.
    I have had a lazy physio and as a result ,I have over worked certain muscles and some muscle have shut off and new physio said I have to have hydro therapy and lots of work to bring me backto walking properly.
    I walk with a stiff knee and cant bed it for the life of me when I walk .
    I can bend it when I lay down or sit . I am still tender on the side I had miniscus repaired so my question so far is ,why is it that I can bend knee when walking but can bend it when I sit or lay down,I also wake up with the knee being painful and as soon as I repositon it it eases up a lot .Why the tenderness after 4 moths still.
    My questions are on my right knee too.
    I feel like I have miniscus trouble as well in that knee ,I feel a ot of pain when I press on the joint line on both sides of my knee cap.
    I feel some resistance in my knee ,grabbing , catching feelings on the medial side of my knee and sometimes a bit on the laterial side at times ,it is sore on the laterial side , sometimes feel sharp almost burning stabbing pains on one or both sides then it goes away.
    If I am off my knee it feels better and by the end of the day it is sore .
    I can hear and feel a pop and clicking in my knee on medial side ,but there has been times I cant tell which side the click came from.When I pivot on my knee i can feel a grabbing catching feeling on the inside of knee and sometimes it feels like it radiates to the outside of my knee.
    If I keep it bent too long it gets achy then I straighten it and it feels better..
    The doct or has done a mcmurry test and says he cant tell yet if it is a torn miniscus. Does the mcmurry test always give the doctor the pop or click feeling in the knee to know it is cartilage that is torn..
    I have a variety of feeling which to me feels like something is torn or catching in my knee. It feels alot like the forst time but some different feelings that I didnt have first time with left knee.
    I have never had a arthritis problems with my right knee before this started.
    In my job I do have to get on my knee every night on concrete to sound gasoline tanks , I do know that I have come down hard on my rigth knee a few times so I dont know If I have damaged it and now it is gettin to the stage where it is letting me know it now.
    I am off from work now and have a referal to see the ortho doctor here in a cuple of weeks .
    If nybody could give me some advice or tell me what they have gone thru if it is what I described I would be so happy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
    dore99
    (male)

dore99 HB User
    Re: meniscus problem

i tore my meniscus when i was 18. it actually didnt give me much of a problem. i was playing tennis and basketball and all sorts of things and it was fine. the only thing is aftewards my knee would get swollen. i just figured i was getting old or something anyways about 6 months afterwards i went skiing and my knee was killing me and swelled up like a balloon. decided to go to the doctor and realized i had a torn meniscus. was the lateral meniscus. during the surgery they had to remove most of it.

10 years later, i hurt my knee again, actually getting into the back of a crowded car. felt a sharp pain in my knee. and then id feel this weird clicking sound on the lateral side. and every now and then my knee would temporarily lock. the pain was minimal but it was very annoying and would almost cause me to lose my balance. it turned out to be cartilage that had come loose and was floating around my knee. cartilage that had been torn off over time since i had no meniscus.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

omg, i am so sorry that you guys went thru that and are still in pain. I have a tear, and also particles of cartlidge and bone swimming around in my right knee. it is extremely swollen. Had xrays and mris, and thats what it showed. Going to see surgeon on the 6th of this month, and he'll schedule surgery after that. How much pain were you in right after the surgery? Were you awake during it? IS it something that docs say that the pain will eventually go away, or that pain will just be less but stay with you for life? im so scared of having it.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
    valmw
    (female)

valmw HB User

Hello,
    Well I am an american living in Australia and when I had my surgery I can tell you they will put you to sleep nad if you need to feel calm ask for something pre surgery to help calm the jitters.
    They will more then likely put a lot of pain meds right in the knee to help with pain.
    I got plenty of post op meds for pain and was sent home with a script as well.I had day surgery and came home the same day.
    Everybodys pain levels differ so depending on your pain levels.
    Dont be afraid to tell them it hurts and you need something .
    Stand firm on that.
    I had a lot of sweling and pain with mine but I had a good size tear in my minisus nad it wasnt diagnosed right away was told it was very badly pulled ligaments on first exam right after fall and it took 3 months before they found the tear.
    I went to my regular doctor and he knew right away what it was.
    I went to after hours doctor at the time i injured my knee so he was usless and just flobbed me off to it being pulled ligament .so for 3 months i was walking on torn miniiscus and not doing it any good.
    Sorry for rambling on .
    I had little pain for 2 daysafter surgery and 3rd day WOW sore I think pain meds insde wore off.
    It takes about 6 to 8 weeks to get really better and follow what the physio says to do and do it.
    If you doint like them go to another and get different ways to exercise and hydratherapy is good too.
    I will write you again soon and tell you some more things

Old 01-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

valmw, thank you so much for your post, and im so sorry that i just jumped in like that in your post, but i really was afraid after i read your first post. Im so sorry that you still have pain and soreness, but what really bothers me is that you cant bend your knee. That is not right , and i hate hearing you have to stand on that sore knee during work hon. I so understand what youre talking about, the clicking, stabbing, weird pain that comes with it. My right knee is the one that will have surgery, and i do have cartlidge moving around floating in there. That hurts me more than the tear i think. To top it off, i guess from favoring the knee, the other knee is hurting as well. Ive had this since before Thanksgiving, but you know doctors, with xrays, mris, different appts for regular doc, then orthopedic PA, now i'll see the orthopedic surgeon on the 13, and surgery is scheduled right now for the 19th. I have ALOT of questions that i will be asking him when i see him, after your post hon, especially about the pt afterwards. Thanks for the advice hon, yes please post again.

Dore 99, sounds painful! so you had a second surgery on the same knee years later?
    How is the knee now??

Closed Thread