It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Meniscus tear and fissure in knee - jogging ok?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
    jmarton
    (male)

jmarton HB User
    Meniscus tear and fissure in knee - jogging ok?

hi,

i have a torn lateral meniscus (complex tear) and a full thickness fissure under the knee cap. the orthapedic surgeon said there was no need for surgery on the meniscus as it wasn't causing major problems. he also noted that there was some age related degeneration (i'm 37) of the meniscus (but MRI report said "no cartilage loss"). clicking noise and soreness were said to be likely due to the fissure rather than tear.

the question is should i abandon jogging altogether, and rely on swimming and yoga instead for exercise? i am worried that the tear might worsen (have read that tears are "degenerative"), possibly later necessitating removal which would expose the joints to wear and lead to arthritis (which a lot of older people seem to have). the tear in its current state might also lessen shock absorbance. jogging might also aggravate or worsen the fissure. so overall it seems it might be best to 'leave the joint alone' and embrace a lifestyle change in order to maintain its current function for as long as possible.

the downside to not jogging is that there could actually be some benefit from doing this for a short while each day in moving the joint about and giving it some forces. i imagine there would be some tradeoff between benefit and risk which changes with jogging time. at 30 mins jogging a day the risk of wear might be too great, but at 10 mins, the benefit might outweigh any risk. hard to know which time is best without having a crystal ball to see what the effects would be down the track. i should mention that i can jog for short periods without feeling soreness (not to say that wear isn't happening though).

any comments on how to manage this sort of knee problem would be appreciated, particulary whether jogging is recommended.

thanks

josh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
    my sore feet
    (female)

my sore feet HB User
    Re: Meniscus tear and fissure in knee - jogging ok?

I too was a jogging for years. I'm now 52 and had more feet problems thru the years than knee, but last year i finally started having knee issues. i had a torn meniscus which doc went in and trimmed away and advised no running. if you want to preserve what's left of your knee i would consider biking or some other low impact exercise. i really miss running as it was a sure way to keep weight under control and a great stress reliever but i don't want a knee replacement, i've been thru enough with my feet, so will take the docs advise.
    Good luck
    Brenda (my sore feet)

Closed Thread