It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• what to do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
    edwardhocca
    (male)

edwardhocca HB User
    Smile what to do?

9/4/09 had double KRS. Both still giving me pain. I have only 90-100 degree range of motion. I am getting ready for the big 70 but very tough. Exercised hard thru the rehab. I had to stop playing tennis and that is why I had the operation. I had 2 opinions and it seems all is O.K. although no help as to why I am doing poorly. I can do everything except put my sox on and get up once I am on the floor or sitting in a very low lounge ot chair. My surgeon also disappointed and I am scheduled for a manipulation and scope in 4 weeks. The other 2 doctors advised against this work. I am inclined to go with it as I am not happy with my new knees and the prospect of not playing tennis again. My last opinion this past week said flatly no more tennis yet my surgeon said what is keeping you from playing now? Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by edwardhocca; 04-25-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: what to do?

Hi Edward...I had bi-lateral knees done 11 years. I also had trouble getting my knees bending. Mine you, I was 47. My surgeon was going to do a manipulation and I was fine with it....it's aim is to break up scar tissue that develops after surgery. But he was going to do it at 3 weeks post-op...I'm not so sure about doing it at this late date but I can't see that it would do any harm so why not. I asked for more time and was finally able to get them up to 120*. Sometimes it's the physical therapy people who don't come up with creative ways to get them bending.

If the other docs are just saying...stop playing tennis...then they are recommending nothing at all? Sounds like they are telling you that at almost 70, take it easy. Not too happy with that!

I'd say go for it if it won't harm your knees and might help. I don't know about you but 70 is way too young to hang it up. The more you exercise the better!

good luck..........Jenny

PS...let me know what you decide and if you need some of those creative ways to bend knees.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
    edwardhocca
    (male)

edwardhocca HB User
    Smile Re: what to do?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
    Hi Edward...I had bi-lateral knees done 11 years. I also had trouble getting my knees bending. Mine you, I was 47. My surgeon was going to do a manipulation and I was fine with it....it's aim is to break up scar tissue that develops after surgery. But he was going to do it at 3 weeks post-op...I'm not so sure about doing it at this late date but I can't see that it would do any harm so why not. I asked for more time and was finally able to get them up to 120*. Sometimes it's the physical therapy people who don't come up with creative ways to get them bending.

If the other docs are just saying...stop playing tennis...then they are recommending nothing at all? Sounds like they are telling you that at almost 70, take it easy. Not too happy with that!

I'd say go for it if it won't harm your knees and might help. I don't know about you but 70 is way too young to hang it up. The more you exercise the better!

good luck..........Jenny

PS...let me know what you decide and if you need some of those creative ways to bend knees.
    Hi Jenny, as the only person who responded to me I really do appreciate your kindness and experience. First off let me tell you I am 70 this month going on 25. As you no is not part of my vocabulary when it comes to what I can or cannot do. So I am visiting my second home in Naples Florida and will be palying on soft clay courts before returning to California late May. I understand the manipulation and although advised against it by my two second opinion Dr's I have no other choice other than trying one first and see how I do. I am a little weary of the possibility of breaking my fabia as they can not tell when the bending is too much. After nine months I am only at about 100 not quite. Since arriving in Florida a few weeks ago I have finally finished with my pain med as I was only taking 1 pill to sleep these past three months. These last three days pretty much pain free do to round the clock iceing and swim exercise everyday. I figured if the last Dr wanted me on med to keep the swelling down that I needed more iceing. This Harvard Dr. told me pretty much it is what it is? My mother would keep seeing Dr's until she heard what she wanted to hear and I guess that is why I may see a 3rd Dr before the manipulation and scope. You did have the manipulation after 3 weeks or improved on your own. For me right now cannot put on my sox and cannot get off the floor without alot of help. Edward

Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: what to do?

No, I ended up not having the manipulation. I'm a high risk patient when it comes to surgery so I was able to talk him into giving me more time and I worked aggressively with the physical therapy people. I learned how to force my knee into bending further by sitting on the exercise table and, using bands, pulled my ankle back under the table, forcing the knee to bend further. The therapist pushing on it didn't work and I could get it to move either but pulling on it did work and it went from 85* to 115* in 3 weeks.

So I continued to do that at home to keep it bending...sat in a chair and pulled the ankle under the chair and when I got as far as I could, I'd wedge a pillow up against my ankle to hold the knee in place. Hurt like hell but worked.

But this was all in the first 2 months post-op. You are way past that. My doc told me that a manipulation should be done in the first month and no later than 6 weeks post-op so the second doc may be right in that it is what it is. But I think it's worth a try.

I know my doc told me that at 1 year post-op, the average range of motion is 106*...that the knees will continue to loosen up as you heal so you do still have time. In fact, ROM continues to improve with time so you might get more but the question is how much more? Enough to play tennis?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. My 11 year old knees have been great until they blew up 5 weeks ago and landed me in the hospital. My ortho thought they might both be infected but after 6 knee taps and many more tests, everything came back showing it was either infectious or inflammatory and he didn't know which. So surgery was canceled and I went home to begin the long process of trying to figure out which it is. Didn't know that cultures for infections in prosthetic knees are positive only 60% of the time. Apparently in the remaining 40% of infections, the bacteria cling to the metal so tenaciously that they can't be identified until after the prosthesis is taken out and treated to remove the bacterial film.

So in the meantime they try to rule out everything else. I've been tested for TB and Lyme disease and all sorts of infections. And on the inflammatory side I've been tested for gout and rheumatoid arthritis and all sorts of those diseases. Now they have me going to an allergist to be tested for allergies to any of the metals in the prosthesis.

Total knees are great until you have a problem!

Let me know what you decide to do and how it works out. Could affect me down the road.

Jenny

Closed Thread