It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• In need of "expert/experienced" advice on hip pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Question In need of "expert/experienced" advice on hip pain

Hi there. I've been having some problems with hip pain and I'm not sure which direction to take next in seeking treatment. I'm hoping to get some advice from those of you who have had experience with this so I don't waste my time and precious money in my search for help.

I started having hip pain last May/June. From my experience with shoulder problems and my internet research I figured it must be bursitis. The pain is on the outside of my hip in the boney area. I also got a "catch" when I walk sometimes, especially up and down stairs. I "treated" myself with NSAIDS, rest and ice/heat for about a month. I finally asked my PCP about it at my physical in early July and he said it was probably bursitis and he told me to ice, use NSAIDS and gave me some Voltran to put on it. He didn't really seem to think much of my problem.

Fast forward to now. During the fall, I had some time when the pain wasn't as bad. It has been getting worse for a while now though. I've developed some minor pain in my right hip and the left hip seems to have a low level of constant pain all the time with periods of more intense pain. The pain goes from above my boney area on the outer hip down to my upper thigh. On bad days, it comes around some to the front as well. I still get a "catch" sometimes when I walk. The area is pretty tender when I push on it. I'm feeling "old" when I get up from sitting at times as well. I haven't had any restriction in my movement yet though like I developed with my shoulder. I do have a hyperflexible shoulder and jaw due to lax ligaments and have some concern that this might also be the case with my hips as well.

I've been to the chiropractor on and off since last year with several visits in the last month. I've also self-referred to a Manual Orthopedic Physical Therapist I saw who helped me with my TMJ and who told me last December that my TMJ problems were related to hip alignment and could through my hip alignment off. She says my pelvis rotates forward causing some of my problems. She has given me a few exercises for my hip and neck. She also does manual PT on the hip and neck areas. Unfortunately, my hip seems to have gotten worse, not better over the last 5 weeks. Therapy/chiropractic adjustments seem to help a bit temporarily, but overall things have gotten worse. If the TMJ is really related, I should be receiving my new TMJ splint in a couple weeks so I'll be able to see if that helps after a while of treatment there.

Here is what I'm pondering: Should I continue to pursue the chiropractic and PT treatments? Should I go back to my PCP? Should I seek out an orthopedic doctor with a speciality in hips (my current ortho specializes in shoulders and elbows)? Should I really be worried about this? While I do have pain, I do still have full ROM.

I'm worried because my shoulder problems started as minor pain and over the course of a year, even with 3 mos of PT, I ended up with more constant pain and losing much of my ROM. I don't want my hip to end up like my shoulder did (tendonitis of shoulder and bicep, bursitis and shoulder impingement). It eventually took surgery, more PT and time to heal and I still have problems with it at times. I haven't injured either my shoulder or hip, just had the pain gradually set in. That is what makes me think things are related. If waiting to see if the TMJ treatment helps "balance" my body I guess I could wait in seeking further help, but that will be a long process as well and I'm not totally sure they are fully connected if I have lax joints.

Thanks for any advice you are willing to share.

MountainReader

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
    Larimergirl
    Veteran
    (female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
    Re: In need of "expert/experienced" advice on hip pain

Hi. Not sure I'm an expert, but have been dealing with hip pain for several years. Originally I had an accident--a fall--and was fine. Then several months later, started having pain, occasionally a catch when I walked, etc. Tried a number of things, Dr. first thought it was bursitis, then when the treatment for bursitis didn't help, tried a chiropractor and various manual therapies provided by him, finally my primary physician steered me to an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hips. He found that I had severe cartilage loss. Advised me that I was a candidate for surgery. I wasn't quite ready and so spent a few years doing lots of different things to cope--including exercise and regular massage.

I eventually got right hip replaced in Aug. 2008 and will probably get left hip done soon.

My advice is to have an orthopedic doctor who specializes in hips look at it.

Maggie

Closed Thread