It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Downhill knee pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
    Dr Walker
    (male)

Dr Walker HB User
    Downhill knee pain

Sorry if this resurrects an old thread...
    After back surgery a few years ago I find the only exercise I can do now is walking and a bit of cycling. I don't pretend to be tackling the Munroes but 5-15 miles is a reasonable hike for my wife and I.
    We have been combining this with raising a bit of money for charity and for me to lose a bit of weight and it all seemed to be working fine....yes, I'm afraid there's a 'but'...recently my left knee has been in agony when walking downhill. Once the pain starts it stays, even on flat or uphill stretches. So I can go along the flat and climb all day without much effect but one bit of downhill then it kicks off.
    I had the cartilage out of the knee 30 years ago (when they did full 'ectomies') and these days the joint creaks and cracks a lot. It has been suggested that the the joint is now loose which means the pain is the load coming on the tendons/ligaments (?) as the femur tries to move forward in the knee. Once this begins to hurt the inflamation sets in for the day and everything else involving the knee hurts.
    I now have to consider my options; more surgery (supposedly to 'clean up' the knee) or a hinged knee brace?
    Any thoughts??
    I'm obviously not a Medical Dr or I wouldn't be asking this, any helpful contributions will be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
    golfgirl60
    (female)

golfgirl60 HB User
    Re: Downhill knee pain

Have you had a MRI? My left knee is in pain when going down hill and steps. Walking flat and going uphill and steps doen't hurt until after the down hills.
    Also hurts when moved the wrong way. Went to the Dr. First xrayed and then he sent me for the MRI. I have a menuscus tear on the inside of my knee. I am now looking for a great Dr. to do the surgery..indoscope. Sorry for the bad spelling, can't get the spelling check to work.
    Good Luck, golfgirl60

Old 06-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I've had a ton of injuries to my knees(14 knee surgeries) but only one knee had a torn ACL and that was the one that hurt trying to walk down hill.

The ACL is one of 2 ligaments inside the knee that control the movement of the joint from within and if it is damaged or torn, it can allow the femur to slide forward on the tibia. And since you have no menisci, it hurts as it slides on the articular cartilage(I had the "ectomy" to back in the 60's).

If it's a partial tear it can be repaired. Not much luck with repairs of full tears unfortunately but docs do try. They tend to re-rupture.

Your best bet is to strengthen the quad muscles of your thigh to keep the knee cap strong in hopes that it can take over the load.

But see your doc and get an MRI to find out exactly what is wrong. Might be something easily corrected.

good luck............Jenny

Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
    pauline miller
    (female)

pauline miller HB User

i had cartilages out 30+ years ago with big op same as you. Have had a couple of clean-outs since then last one in 1999. With problems same as yours went to see consultant expecting another clean out op. No such luck he said that he knee did not have any Cartilage & therefore nothing to clean out therefore my knee was shot. Only solution complete knee replacement which I had almost 4 weeks ago. Still not happy with this as still in pain and although I can straighten leg can't bend it much at all. Maybe this comes with time & I will be praising the operation, I hope so. best of luck with yours.

Closed Thread