It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Muscle Spasms after TKR driving me nuts!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
    Grumpyathome
    (female)

Grumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB User
    Re: Muscle Spasms after TKR driving me nuts!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    Don't feel bad Barb, I didn't have a CPM either, well, except that one night in the hospital, lol. When the doctor came in the morning my toes were pointing towards the wall

He abrubtly cancelled the order! But cal is right, there are quite a few reports out there either way so you didn't miss out on anything
    I really liked having the cpm (continuous passive motion) for the first 2 weeks at home. To keep my leg straight, we stuffed a rolled towel beside my leg. It didn't shift at all. It was my nap machine (of course it never fell off the bed with me, thank goodness! - I kept it toward the middle of the bed) I think it made me keep bending my knee more than I would have without it. Another thing to add to the list would be to always position the CPM to the center of the bed depending on which knee you have done. That's more comfortable to get in and out anyway.

Right TKR 1/19/2010

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
    ccelt
    (female)

ccelt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grumpyathome View Post
    ...Another thing to add to the list would be to always position the CPM to the center of the bed depending on which knee you have done...
    Will do!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grumpyathome View Post
    I really liked having the cpm (continuous passive motion) for the first 2 weeks at home. To keep my leg straight, we stuffed a rolled towel beside my leg. It didn't shift at all. It was my nap machine (of course it never fell off the bed with me, thank goodness! - I kept it toward the middle of the bed) I think it made me keep bending my knee more than I would have without it. Another thing to add to the list would be to always position the CPM to the center of the bed depending on which knee you have done. That's more comfortable to get in and out anyway.
    Maybe I need to talk to my doctor again about this. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't think of such an easy fix for the issue I had in the hospital. Well, maybe I didn't think of it because of heavy heavy drugs
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #19
    emtsta3
    (female)

emtsta3 HB User

Start my Outpatient PT tomorrow, home PT visits have finished. A little apprehensive about it. My leg has never fully recovered from the whole "CPM attack" I guess. Went for my 6 wk check-up yesterday, Doc x-rayed it - looked good, but with so much pain n calf, he ordered a doppler just to make sure I had no clot. Checked out ok. Just wish I could get comfortable so I could get some sleep! Last nite my leg ached so much I was up 'til 4:45 AM. Anyone have any suggestions? My pain meds don't help me sleep (obviously) so I need some ideas. Please!

Getting desperate!!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #20
    IWillSurvive
    (female)

IWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB User

Suggestion for the bad muscle spasms is to ask your doctor for some muscle relaxants. I had horrible spasms and swelling with my second TKR and the muscle relaxants did the trick. Was able to take them with all the other good pain meds and it made it easier to sleep at night as well as to get through PT. My secret friend was also ice, ice and more ice. I used an ice machine and set it up to run pretty much whenever I was in bed or in a chair. Also used my TED/compression hose as a sleeve, just cut the leg off so it goes from above the knee to below the knee. Great for keeping the swelling down. Wore it from morning til night for months and was able to be more aggressive with PT and getting around because it contained the swelling. I have had TKR with and without the CPM machine at home with similar results. Each case is diffferent. A doctor told me that studies show that if you use a CPM at home, you get better range of motion faster but have more pain. If you don't use it your range of motion is slower but your pain is less. The real kicker is that the doc then told me that studies show that at the end of 6 months you are most likely in the same place. So feels that it is really 50:50 as to whether to assign it to a patient or not, pretty much takes point of view that if patient feels it will help then fine, if not then also fine. I tended to like it if my knee wasn't too swollen and found that the constant movement kept it from being stiff. If swollen I found I hated it because it did cause a lot more pain to use it.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 AM   #21
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I had some sleepless nights with my first TKR, talked to the doctor about it and he recommended Ambien, which helped me quite a bit. My muscle spasms were not very bad, bad enough though I think my biggest sleeping problem was finding a comfortable position to be in.

Hope my upcoming TKR is even easier, since now I know what to expect! Goog luck with PT
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #22
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I wonder if what you call spasms are what I have. I get like a muscle cramp during the night that is very painful in my leg and now in the ankle. I have had them in the past before surgery. My doc told me to take magnesium. I'm supposed to take two a day, but have been using just one. I just saw my Internist yesterday and had a list of things to ask him and neglected that one. Maybe I will try two magnesiums.
    At least he clarified some things for me that the surgeon did not and does not. He also gave me something new to put on the incision that burns so much. It has helped. Also told me I would not become addicted taking the one or two low dose pain pills I have been taking (same as the pharmacist said). Even my PT has said to take something before exercising. So I am listening to everyone but the surgeon who is a great doctor, but no personality and doesn't give you the time of day.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #23
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear jerseyboy:
    Your second TKR is coming up pretty fast now - 7 more days I believe. Even though we know what to expect the second time around, anticipating any surgery is disconcerting because we know there will be some days that are hard to get through. Joint replacements are major surgeries and we have to be kind and gentle with our bodies! All of us on this Board will be looking forward to hearing from you as soon as you feel like typing, We will want to "Hear All About It"!

Shirley H.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #24
    emtsta3
    (female)

emtsta3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IWillSurvive View Post
    Also used my TED/compression hose as a sleeve, just cut the leg off so it goes from above the knee to below the knee. Great for keeping the swelling down. Wore it from morning til night for months and was able to be more aggressive with PT and getting around because it contained the swelling.
    Sounds like a very good idea!! Think I will try it! Thanks!!

Old 06-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #25
    emtsta3
    (female)

emtsta3 HB User

Well, made it through my first Outpatient PT session and lived to talk about it. (LOL!) Therapist says I have a 90 degree bend, gotta work hard on that. She measured my knee and compared it to my last in-home PT session measurements. Bad news! My knee was actually swollen about 1/4 inch larger Friday from Wednesday, and is another 1/4 inch larger today!! But, I've really been trying to do more, haven't been elevating it as much, icing it as much, and have done a few chores. (U can only sit n look at something that needs done so long, u know?) Gonna work harder at keeping the ice accessible and elevate it more. Just think I'm getting a little stir-crazy. I imagine all of u can relate. Makes it nicer knowing I'm not the only one who has felt this way. (Not that I would wish this on anyone else! Lol!) Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me during this journey. Your help and advice has been awesome!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #26
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I still will put the Ted Hose on when it is not too terribly hot. I didn't even cut them.
    I feel as though I have a bit more support and it helps with the ankle swelling -- yes, I still have that at times after more than seven months.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #27
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Am I the only one who didn't get ted hose? And am I correct in assuming it is for sweling?
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mostly it is for not getting blood clots. After most surgery of any kind one needs to wear those hose for protection from blood clots. Very surprised your doc didn't have them on you when you woke up. You wear them all day and take off at night. I had to have mine on for six weeks. But I have a particular fussy doctor.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #29
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DW says she thinks that I did have one in the hospital but I don't remember it. Seems like something that would have come home with me right? I do remember this thing they velcroed on my leg that inflated and deflated but that's all.
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Last edited by jerseyboy; 07-01-2010 at 03:50 AM.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #30
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you are referring to the Ted Hose - yes, you would have worn them hoime. I had to wear mine for six weeks. I do have a friend that had hip replacement and never had any, but she is the only person that I have ever heard of that did not have those awful things to wear. They are tricky to get on, but I've become quite adapt at putting them on when I feel the need. They do give you support. Course now with the humid weather and needing to wear long pants if you have them on it's not very comfortable. But on a cool day I still use them now and then.

Closed Thread

Tags
    meds, muscle relaxers, muscle spasms, pain, tkr