It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Muscle Spasms after TKR driving me nuts!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #31
    emtsta3
    (female)

emtsta3 HB User
    Re: Muscle Spasms after TKR driving me nuts!!

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"[/FONT]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't get ted hose? And am I correct in assuming it is for sweling?
    Wow! I can't believe ur Dr. didn't have u n TED hose after ur surgery! I was an LPN at the time of the injury that led to my TKR n every time I ever had a TKR patient we always had a TED hose order. TED hose are like knee highs (or thigh highs) that come in varying amounts of pressure. Some r really tight, some aren't. Depends on ur problem & Dr. When my Dr. was talking to me Monday about the possibility of my calf pain being a clot, he said that 4% of patients that go on blood thinners after TKRs get clots, n a whopping 45% of those without the blood thinner therapy get clots. The TED hose just apply constant pressure to ur lower legs to help blood flow so it doesn't pool around down there n get funky. They r a challenge to get on at first, but eventually u get the hang of it. At first, when ur surgery site is fresh, it hurts to pull them up over the incision, but after they r on for a bit they feel ok. Will keep u n our prayers for the 7th!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #32
    Grumpyathome
    (female)

Grumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't get ted hose? And am I correct in assuming it is for sweling?
    JB - they are to help prevent blood clots. They help with the swelling too.
    They probably didn't give them to you, because they would have covered up that ugly scar......lol I hated them, they are a pain to get on and they drove me crazy. - Grumpy

Right TKR 1/19/2010

Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #33
    IWillSurvive
    (female)

IWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB User

TED hose are easy to get online. Just do a search and you can find them as low as $10 a pair which really helps if you are wearing them every day, especially if you cut them up as a sleeve. My PT taught me a trick for putting them on real easy, even when new. Turn them inside out so just the foot part is tucked inside. Then insert your foot straight in and pull the heel up. As soon as your foot is inserted, then grap the hose by the top and just slide it up your leg. For those who still have sensitivity on the nasty wound, use a thick addomen pad, not sure if that is the proper name. Can be purchased in first aid section of any drugstore. Works to provide a cushion so you don't have to worry about bumping your knee into anything and it keeps the hose from rubbing and irritating the wound. You don't need to tape it just slip it in as you are pulling the hose over your knee. Hospital where I had my surgery sent every patient home with a good supply of these to use and they were great. Hope this helps.

Stay positive, it is going to be worse before it gets better, but it does get better, just takes time and everybody gets better at their own pace. Give yourself a full year to heal, you have been through he$$ and back, it will take time.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #34
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I think the Ted Hose are really important. Mine were on when I woke up after the surgery and in my hospital bed. In fact, I have them on right now because it isn't too humid outside and I'm on the way to the gym.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #35
    IWillSurvive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barb70 View Post
    I think the Ted Hose are really important. Mine were on when I woke up after the surgery and in my hospital bed. In fact, I have them on right now because it isn't too humid outside and I'm on the way to the gym.
    If you don't have a problem with ankle and foot swelling, cutting them off mid leg to make a sleeve works great in the summer, won't feel hot at all and does the job for keeping swelling contained in knee. I wore mine from when I woke up to when I went to bed almost every day for 5 months.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #36
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think your idea is great, but since I do have some foot and ankle swelling now and then I haven't wanted to cut them. I haven't looked for any that go from just the ankle up over the knee. I also like the feel of them on the knee as it seems to give support. I know you can get them that go over the foot and up to the knee, but I want that knee covered too. Makes it easier for me on the bike.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #37
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

I'm going to make sure I get a pair of these TED hoses. I had some issues with calf and foot sweeling several weeks ago with my right leg, so they might be good to have around just in case I need them for the left leg.
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #38
    Cal08
    (female)

Cal08 HB User

JerseyBoy, they aren't attractive but they do help. My recommendation would be to get the thigh high hose. If you get the ones that only go up to your knee it seems as if they just make the swelling in the knee worse. You can get them at many drug stores and medical supply shops as well as on the internet. I found that I had to order off the internet to get the correct size.

All the best,

Old 07-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #39
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ask your doc about them. I'm very surprised you didn't find them on your legs when you woke up from the surgery. They are mainly for keeping blood clots at bay, which is so important. And they also help with the swelling. I didn't have to pay for them and mine go all the way up to the top of the thigh.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #40
    IWillSurvive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barb70 View Post
    I think your idea is great, but since I do have some foot and ankle swelling now and then I haven't wanted to cut them. I haven't looked for any that go from just the ankle up over the knee. I also like the feel of them on the knee as it seems to give support. I know you can get them that go over the foot and up to the knee, but I want that knee covered too. Makes it easier for me on the bike.
    Sorry if I confused you barb70. I did use mine so that they covered the knee. When I had each of my 3 TKRs the nurse put a thigh high (covered foot with the little peek a boo hole in the toe) on my non operated leg and I went to the OR with the other hose tucked into a bag attached to my chart. When I woke up, the operated leg was also in the thigh high TED. I kept them on until I was discharged. Then I was allowed to take off the one on the non operated leg and kept the one on the operated leg. It was after the ankle and foot swelling went down in the operated leg that I cut the lower leg/foot off. The sleeve I was left with then slipped on real easy and went from thigh to about mid calf so my knee was totally supported. This is how I helped keep swelling down with PT and just walking and using my knee. Helped decrease pain meds required and got me to better flexion and extension by not having such excessive swelling. They do sell a support hose that leaves the toes out and just covers mid foot to knee or thigh high but compression is much greater than TED and they are super expensive. TED is usually a lower compression and meant as more of a temporary measure to help prevent clotting as my doc explained it to me. It was actually my PT who told me about cutting the lower leg/foot off and my doc thought it was a great idea and started suggesting to his other patients who complained about swelling.

I did a lot of traveling by plane after my surgery so had a set cut as a sleeve and a set that included the foot. When on a plane or not moving a lot, I used the full size with foot on my doctors advice to help insure no clotting even after I was off the blood thinners. Once I landed and got to wherever I was staying I then switched up to the sleeve version. Wore that sleeve under shorts and didn't give a hoot, wasn't too hot and I didn't hurt as much.

Closed Thread

Tags
    meds, muscle relaxers, muscle spasms, pain, tkr