It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Muscle Spasms after TKR driving me nuts!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
    emtsta3
    (female)

emtsta3 HB User
    Unhappy Muscle Spasms after TKR driving me nuts!!

I am a 44 y/o woman, had Rt TKR on 5/18/10 as a result of a work injury in Jan. of 2006. (I won't even start on the pleasures of dealing with the
    Workers Comp. organization.) I was really counting on my surgery resulting in a PARTIAL knee replacement, but woke up to a surprise. My knee was trashed. The nerve block administered to me prior to the surgery didn't work, the back side of my leg was numb, but not the front, which caused me extreme pain when I awoke in Recovery. The "pain ball" was not inserted as had been planned. I couldn't lift my leg off the bed. After 3 days in the hospital, I was transferred to a rehab facility and within a week I could move my leg and do straight leg lifts. PT was helping, although extremely painful at times. I was plagued by severe muscle spasms that would lift my leg off the bed sometimes. My doc put me on Robaxin, muscle relaxer, every 6 hrs, and that helped for a while. (I am still taking the pain meds every 4 hrs.) It is 4:43 am here right now and I have been up with terrible muscle spasms all night. The muscles from my mid-thigh down through my knee to my ankle all tighten up and quiver and it hurts like crazy! Tried ice, massage, elevation. Nothing is working! Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem? I'm worried that I'm not making enough progress fast enough, afraid they will discontinue my pain meds or expect more bend than I can do. I pushed myself alot today and here I am, up all night. Getting very frustrated!! Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
    Grumpyathome
    (female)

Grumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB User
    Re: Muscle Spasms after TKR driving me nuts!!

You've had a tough start and some setbacks, but in the world of TKR's, it's still early yet. It was months before I wasn't up several times a night. I napped whenever possible (some say that that can cause the sleepless nights, but I think it was more trying to stay in one position for too long, meds wearing off etc...) So my theory, sleep whenever, it's a healing time.
    Push yourself with your exercises but don't overdo. My PT didn't want me to do some of the exercises daily, but wanted me to rest the muscles (bike every other day for example) But some I would do whenever I thought about them, while watching TV etc...
    Pain meds - I was on the hard stuff for 3 months (can't take NSAIDS), I came home taking 12 percocets a day - but then tapered off slowly. I worked with my Doc - as we went to Norco (hydrocodone instead of oxycodone) and then 1/2 pills to eventually just tylenol. Do Not cold turkey - thought I was ready to go without when I was still taking 3 pill a day and I was wrong and went back to tapering. You are younger and according to my Doc, younger patients often have more pain for longer since your nerves and muscles are younger than say an 80 year old nerves. (no offense oldsters). I wrote down the time and dosage of every pill I took for 3 months - it kept me from dosing myself way too early (when in a drugged haze you forget when you took a dose) I did have pain between doses until the new pill kicked in.
    This will be a long haul. Each week you will hopefully see progress. I felt I was turning a corner at 4 months and could really see some progress. When I went to the Doc for my 4 month check up, I complained about not being able to do somethings - she kept telling me that it takes a year to heal. So work hard, but be patient. I'm at 5 months now and can't wait to see what I can do at 6 months.
    Good Luck and keep writing. This board helps and kept me sane duing the bad times.

Right TKR 1/19/2010

Last edited by moderator2; 06-12-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: please do not quote when you are the first to reply, it's really not necessary

Old 06-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
    oma5911
    (female)

oma5911 HB User

I just joined this forum today, June 13th.

I had my TKR March 2nd and I still have muscle spasms, stiffness, soreness, swelling, pain, numbness, itching on the numb part of my knee and trouble sleeping through the night. I also have unexplained pain in the backside of my knee and lots of popping. I last saw my Dr. a month post op. and don't have to see him again for a year. I read enough today to know that I am not alone in the things that I am experiencing.

I might add that I have great range of motion and I still have all of the above issues.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

[QUOTE=emtsta3;4264519]
    The muscles from my mid-thigh down through my knee to my ankle all tighten up and quiver and it hurts like crazy! Tried ice, massage, elevation. Nothing is working! Any suggestions? QUOTE]

I wonder if a TENS unit would be of any help. The one I have is about the size of a transister radio and has 4 leads that you attach around the knee, you turn it on and it delivers small electrical pulses. I have used this many times and it feels great. I would talk to my PT or better yet the doctor and get is thoughts on it.

Let us know how things work out
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
    emtsta3
    (female)

emtsta3 HB User

Sounds like a good idea! I will talk to my PT tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Great, let me know what he thinks!
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
    emtsta3
    (female)

emtsta3 HB User

Well, the muscle spasms have calmed down somewhat. Only lasted about 1/2 hour last night. I've really been working at stretching my leg muscles out, think that's helped alot!

Of course, that was before this morning. I was on my CPM and fell asleep, awoke when the CPM and my leg fell off the side of my bed! It was sort of twisted and dangling there, the CPM almost flipped on top of my leg. Pulled the muscles in my upper thigh and the back of my knee pretty bad. PT came and massaged it. Taking it easy and icing it the rest of the day.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oma5911 View Post
    I just joined this forum today, June 13th.

I had my TKR March 2nd and I still have muscle spasms, stiffness, soreness, swelling, pain, numbness, itching on the numb part of my knee and trouble sleeping through the night. I also have unexplained pain in the backside of my knee and lots of popping. I last saw my Dr. a month post op. and don't have to see him again for a year. I read enough today to know that I am not alone in the things that I am experiencing.

I might add that I have great range of motion and I still have all of the above issues.
    I'm only 11 weeks out but I think the stiffness, soreness, swelling, pain, numbness and itching are all part of the healing process. I never had issues with (or very little) muscle spasms and sleeping throught the night, but ice and sleeping pills should do the trick
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Last edited by jerseyboy; 06-17-2010 at 05:57 AM.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emtsta3 View Post
    Well, the muscle spasms have calmed down somewhat. Only lasted about 1/2 hour last night. I've really been working at stretching my leg muscles out, think that's helped alot!

Of course, that was before this morning. I was on my CPM and fell asleep, awoke when the CPM and my leg fell off the side of my bed! It was sort of twisted and dangling there, the CPM almost flipped on top of my leg. Pulled the muscles in my upper thigh and the back of my knee pretty bad. PT came and massaged it. Taking it easy and icing it the rest of the day.
    OMG! That must have been a nightmare! I didn't have a CPM at home so I don't know, but aren't they quite heavy? I'm wondering how the heck it managed to get close enough to the edge of the bed to fall off. It's a wonder it didn't pull you onto the floor with it.

Maybe that's why my doctor didn't order one for me
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
    ccelt
    (female)

ccelt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    ...It's a wonder it didn't pull you onto the floor with it...
    That was my sentiment exactly! I just cringed...OUCH!

...hope y'all are doing better.

Lator Gator!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
    emtsta3
    (female)

emtsta3 HB User

Yes, it hurt. LOL! I should've been lying more towards the center of my bed, but I was on the side I usually sleep on. Funny thing is, I had fallen asleep and was dreaming and suddenly a dog had ahold of my leg pulling on it (in my dream)! I woke up and the dog was the CPM! My PT instructed me to take it easy and ice my knee alot that day and then she massaged it when she visited me. It's doing ok, strained several muscles that had escaped the knee replacement pain. So, now my whole leg hurts, lol. Moved the CPM to the center of the bed, so I should be ok from now on. Those CPM units are pretty heavy, I guess my guardian angel must be pretty strong since he caught it and kept it from dragging me over! LOL!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I hate to sound so stupid, but I don't even know what a CPM is. So many of you talk about it and yet I had nothing extra while in the hospital or at home after surgery. Did I miss out on something good? My doctor is especially well known in my city and everyone you ask gives his name to go to for hip or knee surgery. I know he is good -- just no personality. I don't need a doctor to hold my hand, but would like a bit more person to person conversation.
    Maybe I'm just being a baby, but I have such a close connection with my Internist that I guess I expect that same thing from all doctors. I'm finding that is not true.
    I always go in with a list of questions so I don't forget anything because if I do he is out the door and into the next room before I can say good-bye.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
    Cal08
    (female)

Cal08 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barb70 View Post
    I hate to sound so stupid, but I don't even know what a CPM is. So many of you talk about it and yet I had nothing extra while in the hospital or at home after surgery. Did I miss out on something good? My doctor is especially well known in my city and everyone you ask gives his name to go to for hip or knee surgery. I know he is good -- just no personality. I don't need a doctor to hold my hand, but would like a bit more person to person conversation.
    Maybe I'm just being a baby, but I have such a close connection with my Internist that I guess I expect that same thing from all doctors. I'm finding that is not true.
    I always go in with a list of questions so I don't forget anything because if I do he is out the door and into the next room before I can say good-bye.
    Barb,
    A CPM (continuous passive motion) device is a machine that moves the joint through its range of motion in a controlled manner. Whether or not they are effective is the subject of quite a few ongoing studies. In my area almost all the highly rated surgeons practicing at one hospital use them while in the hospital across town equally highly rated surgeons rarely order them for their patients. You didn't get bad care....your surgeon just didn't believe it would be helpful in your case.

Happy healing!

Last edited by Cal08; 06-18-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
    ccelt
    (female)

ccelt HB User

Quote:
    ...know what a CPM is...I don't need a doctor to hold my hand, but would like a bit more person to person conversation...
    Hey Barb! - The definition of a CPM is on our "What-to-Know-Beforehand" list, and your doctor sounds like a surgeon to me! lol He sounds like a typical ortho surgeon to me -- great with the scalpel but horrible with the interpersonal stuff! And it's always good to have those questions -- we are our own best advocates.

Get your warm fuzzies from your internist or us! ;-D

Lator Gator!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Don't feel bad Barb, I didn't have a CPM either, well, except that one night in the hospital, lol. When the doctor came in the morning my toes were pointing towards the wall

He abrubtly cancelled the order! But cal is right, there are quite a few reports out there either way so you didn't miss out on anything
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Closed Thread

Tags
    meds, muscle relaxers, muscle spasms, pain, tkr