It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Meniscus Repair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
    Beerbrewer
    (male)

Beerbrewer HB User
    Meniscus Repair

I'm a 51 year old male and I torn my meniscus. If if I bent my knee past 90 degrees it would lock up and be very painful, but I could walk pain free. About 9 weeks ago I had surgery on my right knee. They did a meniscus repair, I had two tears in the meniscus that were sewn back together.

I went to rehab and the surgeon and the PT disagreed on therapy. The PT wanted a conservative approach (no wt bearing, etc) and Surgeon wanted a more aggressive approach.....The surgeon won and I tossed my crutches two weeks after surgery.

6-7 weeks later my knee got very sore, stiff and very swollen. I went back to the surgeon and he drained 80CC of fluid from my knee. Now 8-9 weeks post op, my knee still hurts, it still slightly swollen and he sent me for an MRI (no results yet). Now I'm slowly gaining weight and my back is starting to hurt, cause I can't do my exercises, of which walking was big part of.

I feel as though I'm worse off than before surgery. At least I could stand and walk pain free, now very little I do is pain free. I'm afraid I made a huge mistake.

Is this normal for this type of surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
    emtsta3
    (female)

emtsta3 HB User
    Re: Meniscus Repair

I've had 4 arthroscopies to my Right knee, and I've always been on crutches for at least 4 weeks or so after surgery. I always had PT for several weeks after surgery. When my crutches were discontinued was determined by my progress in therapy. I've never had to have fluid drawn off my knee after a surgery, either. I suggest you find another orthopaedic physician and go for a second opinion. You don't want to mess this up and take a chance at causing further damage to your knee. I would also call my insurance company and tell them what's going on and see what they think about the second opinion. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I had one of those surgeons....re-tore my meniscus in the first week after surgery as he demanded I walk out of the hospital with only a cane. Jerk.

The #1 complication of an arthroscopy is a re-tear. Your PT was correct. Your doc is aggressive and in your case, it may have caused more problems.

Get your MRI results and if it says you have re-torn the meniscus, go to another ortho. Whatever it says, I bet he blames it on something other than his aggressive treatment. When will these guys learn!

sorry.............Jenny

14 knee surgeries including 8 scopes.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

When I had my right knee scoped 10 years ago for a torn medial menicus, the jerk of a doctor I had didn't give me any after care instructions, didn't order PT, didn't suggest ice or crutches or a cane or anything! I ended up feeling pretty good that night, which also happened to be my then 7th grade daughters band awards banquet. I felt as if I had to go since I was the band booster president, so I did. I walked in pretty good, not feeling much pain but 2 hours later I needed to just about be carried out to my car. My leg had never been so swollen in my life. Since I had no idea what to do, I did nothing but sit in my recliner. I could barely walk for 3 weeks, then it was an uphill battle ever since. For years I told people that it was the worst decision I had ever made and that I was better off before surgery. Anyway the repair lasted 10 years before I had RTKR, now 12 weeks out I can say it was the best thing I ever did. Going back in 10 days for LTKR.

Good luck with your recovery, I would seriously consider getting that second opinion.
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
    Duck50
    (male)

Duck50 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    When I had my right knee scoped 10 years ago for a torn medial menicus, the jerk of a doctor I had didn't give me any after care instructions, didn't order PT, didn't suggest ice or crutches or a cane or anything! I ended up feeling pretty good that night, which also happened to be my then 7th grade daughters band awards banquet. I felt as if I had to go since I was the band booster president, so I did. I walked in pretty good, not feeling much pain but 2 hours later I needed to just about be carried out to my car. My leg had never been so swollen in my life. Since I had no idea what to do, I did nothing but sit in my recliner. I could barely walk for 3 weeks, then it was an uphill battle ever since. For years I told people that it was the worst decision I had ever made and that I was better off before surgery. Anyway the repair lasted 10 years before I had RTKR, now 12 weeks out I can say it was the best thing I ever did. Going back in 10 days for LTKR.

Good luck with your recovery, I would seriously consider getting that second opinion.
    Your repair lasted 10 years? it re tore in the same spot?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

No, after 10 years I had RTKR. The menicus was pretty much gone. What I had at that point was severe OA, both knees. Had the right done on 3-31-10 and getting the left done in 9 days.
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Old 06-29-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

You are the bravest person I know to do the second knee so soon. I can't get over the first one after seven months - and hope there is never a second. I have a Patella problem with that knee, which is nothing compared to the replacement.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
    jerseyboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Barb, I don't consider myself to be brave at all. As a matter of fact I don't want to do this at all! I will do it though because as many issues I am still having with the operated knee, it's nothing compared to the pain I experience in the un-operated knee. I know there will be challanges but I'm so tired of OA ruling my life that I'm willing to take these drastic steps.

I'm blessed to have a job in which I can take an extended medical leave to do this in the first place. I'm blessed to have a disability insurance policy in place to help offset my being out of work (inadquete as it is ). I'm blessed to have an insurance policy to cover my medical issues. Blessed that I have reached the maximum out of pocket costs for that policy. I could probably wait a year or maybe 2 (?), but by doing it now, there is no cost to me, zip, zero, nada! Besides that, why should I put up with the pain any longer that I have to?

Yeah, I'm kinda freaking out a little, even having been through this. But it's not as bad as the first time. I'm gonna do just fine.

I have made the active decision to take my life off of hold!
    Right TKR 3-31-10
    Left TKR 7-7-10
    Left Revision 7-28-14
    Right Revision 9-30-14

Closed Thread